Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that 50% of my heat is going straight up the chimney. what should/could i do to get some of that heat?

I am aware of heat-sink style fins that wrap around the pipe. Do they work? There is also an in-line blower that I can install but it's $150 and I don't know how efficient they are. Would you just add elbows? That would surely be ugly, no?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Those reclaimer cause lots of fires.

Mostly because people treat the maintenance the same as before adding one.

Flues work because hot air rises, if you cool it too much it moves slower and drops things it would normally carry out.

Means you better be cleaning your flue on a more frequent basis.

May or may not be more work then you want to do, but cutting wood or making the money to buy wood will be more in the long run me thinks.

I like what these folks have going on... For those who don't like to click links,
Basicly Pipe from stove comes up to a T, one side goes to the unrestricted side, the other to the restricted side, they ran a flue pipe through the Back of the surround in a U shape, when starting the fire the baffle on the unrestricted side is open, once the fire is going they close it to force the flue gas through the surround.
pretty nifty IMO.

http://www.geopathfinder.com/Masonry-Stove.html

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Dh has an interesting idea.
He suggested adding a 'square'.
Just adding bends could be fairly unattractive, but adding a 'square' of pipe would be almost an art piece!
You would 'T' it off, add 2 elbows, 2 short pieces, 2 more elbows and a final 'T'.

And it wouldn't change the initial draw, just slow the fast fly up the pipe.

Ours is set off at an angle and has the flue off the back, not the top.
We have a bend or two.. but DH is considering a 'square'.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Anything you do to restrict the amount of heat going up the chimney is going to cause creosote build up in the chimney.This will require a lot more maintenance or you WILL have a chimney fire.Moving the stove "1 section of pipe" further away from the wall is enough to create a creosote problem.
First, make sure you are burning ONLY WELL SEASONED WOOD, burn the best wood you can get(oak,hickory,osage etc.)Also there is a new coal that is clean burning I keep hearing good things about but have no experience with.Also you should not try to control the draft from the butterfly in you pipe with an air tight stove. ONLY contorl it through it intake on the stove.It appears you are reducing the pipe from 8" to 7" or 7" to 6". This is also not good with an air tight.Never do anything on the output side of the stove to restrict air flow.It'll cause problems!
The best thing you can do is to draw in outside air on the intake side of the stove to supply the combustion chamber.A 4" pipe bringing in outside air will feed the stove and reduce the heat you are pulling from inside the house to keep the stove burning.You'll have to figure out what you can do if you still want it to look nice so you are on your own there but that is your biggest problem with loosing heat thru the chimney.

Wade

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
I have a Magic Heat "waste heat recaimer". Really kicks out the heat. It runs on electricity, with the fan starting when the temp inside the stack reaches 170 degrees (just think of all that heat going up the stack and outside!). I think I've saved much more in wood costs over the years than what this cost new. I would recommend one or similar to anyone who heats with a wood stove.

The only issue is that the fan is electrical. Minimal cost to run the fan, but boy when the electricity goes off and it doesn't work, I sure have to drag my easy chair near my wood stove and the house never gets as warm.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Magic..._a_7c2610002&gclid=CL2btMW8lsECFY17fgodhrAATg

·
Registered
659 Posts
In normal operation are you running the stove with the flue damper open or closed?? If you are running with a closed damper you are already holding a lot of heat back.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
I see you already have a fan on the stovetop fanning it and the pipe.
Don't get greedy a hot pipe is a clean pipe.
A dirty pipe is a fire on its way.
Im not sure How hot you have to keep it to keep creosote from dropping out but Im sure you can find out. THEN find out how hot the pipe is at the top with your smallest burn.
If its less don't steal any heat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts