I need help with my sick cedar shrubs-please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Aug 6, 2004.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

They are turning brown and dying-it starts at the bottom and goes to the top--we lost one 4 years ago--on a real wet spring-another this spring-which was real wet--i have 4 more looking bad--the county agent sais it was a fungus--and we have been spraying every 2 weeks--ther are about 15 of them and it has took 11 years to be so big and beautiful and I hate to lose them--they really are the show case of our yard--the agent said on a real wet year the fungus will start up and then go away on a drought-but it seems more like a disease to me--11 years ago they were 20 dollars apiece at the nursery and when they went on sale for 5 dollars-I loaded up my pick up -even on the tail gate and saw my dh on the way home and he had a friend with him and he got a good joking because he had to go home and plant all of them--i put half of them on his truck --so there is a good memory with these bushes--thanks to all-Nancy

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Nancy, do you know what bagworms are? Do you see any evidence of cacoon looking attachments in the lower portion of the cedars?

3. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

yes,i know what the worms are and we spray and kill them every year--i go out and pick them off too and put them in a can of gas-the 2 that died -they died before the worm invasion-I just cant figure out what to do--we get the worms about july 4th every year--thank you-Nancy

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Nancy, you could read here and it may give you some insight
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=cedar+tree+fungus&btnG=Google+Search[/ame]