I NEED HELP or ADVICE

Discussion in 'Goats' started by malickfarms, Jul 10, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Ok--I am new to the goat world, read every book and magazine before I made my choices of what goats I wanted to purchase from a breeder...Oh the troubles Ive had!

Ok, I got two Lamanchas and one boar!

Had a few problems with milk replacers in the beginning, but thanks to everyone here...they really helped me with recipes!

NOW---Here is my new problem! My boar goat is 10 weeks old ....about a week ago I started weening her, the next day I noticed she was more laid back then the usual..so continued to think maybe she wasnt happy with the weaning process! Called my vet and he said they do act tricky sometimes when weaning--well, after five days of watching her, I literally have been LIVING in my barn! Ive noticed she is light on her back feet, and to me her knee caps were swollen, and she didnt want to run anymore. So, I started to think when was the last time I saw Daisy on the playscape...days!

So, in a panic called the vet out on Friday of last week, told me that she was born with Streptacimia....messed that up...another word for it is naval ill!
    I called the breeder and she said NO WAY--we iodine belly buttons right after birth & and we dont lack the colostrum on them. Well, I explained to her that the vet said she was born with it, and unfortunatley you cannot tell until the symptons begin to come out! Breeder just doesnt think this is anything of concern. I can see now she doesnt care about goats like we apparently do. I would of called by now checking on her, if she once was one of my kids.

Well, after crying for days now, I have accepted that she has this and all I can do is follow what the vet says...well, I am so confussed my question is ..is he treating this as seriously as it is? or maybe this isnt serious...cant find much on this anywhere!

He has her on 3ml of penicillian twice a day ...for 14 days
    Gave her a Sellinium shot (BO C) think that is what is was called
    and he said if she makes it through 14 days he will give her another Sellinium shot. Nothing for the swelling.

Ive been rubbing her muscles, soaking in warm compresses. They dont seem to be bothering her, but she is real light on her back legs, and wants to RUN ...but just cant, truley breaks my heart. I have fallen in LOVE with these goats, and I just want to make sure I am doing ALL possible, sometimes us GOAT lovers well, we know more about them then the vets...LOL

I am up for any advice on what people think....is the penicillian twice a day enough, what else can I do, swelling problem, light on her feet, what is this?
    PLEASE HELP---April

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I am not sure about goats, being a newbie, but I can do online research. :) What I have found is, from what you said, she has a strep infection, and the med the doc prescribed is for strep. (You know, like strep throat in humans.)

Sounds like if you follow directions and give the antibiotic for the full time prescribed, she may be OK.

Take a deep breath and relax! Huggs. :angel:

3. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Another new goat person here. It sounds like the vet has the baby well taken care of. She's obviously in good hands with you. Your extra efforts to help her could make the difference for her recovery.

4. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

You know--you've made me cry! I needed to hear that! Words of comfort!

Thanks, April

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

April, I have never had to deal with this before, so I can not help you. I will look up on a vet info page I am a member of, and I will let you know what I find out. I am sending you all the well wishes for you and the little one. Prayers are also coming your way. God Bless you and Good luck.