I need better work socks!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jethro, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I have been buying the low price, commonly found white work socks you see at the discount stores, something like "6 pair for 8 bucks", but I find they wear out to fast. So, I need some input on socks in the 10, 12, 14 dollar range for a bag o' socks. I know that there are socks for $20 a pair, but I can't afford that. Oh, wait I should say I wear them in sneakers, indoors at my job, an am on my feet all day eccept for breaks and lunch.

2. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

When you get home -do you take off your shoes and walk around with socks only? That is how I wear them out faster. Are you bleaching the socks-it also weakens the fabric.
    I buy hubbys at a discount store $3.99 for 6 pair, I buy 3 packs and he rotates wear so they last a little longer.
    motivated

3. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you ever tried socks from L.L.Bean? I admit they are a little pricey, but they are very comfortable and hold up! - no droopy tops.

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year we bought some socks at Aldi's for around $3.00 per pair. The best socks I've ever had, warm, and long wearing. I am hard on socks, as motivated mentioned I take my shoes off and wear them in the house. We tried a pair of them and then went back and cleaned out the bin, the 4 pair I rotated last winter are still in good condition. Still got a dozen pairs or so stashed.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i know some people feel that wool is too hot, but i am now wearing a pair of wool and synthetic blend from kmart that i have had for two years. i walk in them with no shoes, sometimes sneaking outside with the dog and walking on concrete. they are still in great shape and i wear them upwards of twice a week as i like them so much.

i don't recommend 100% wool as it seems to shrink. a nice heavy wool blended with synthetic is the way to go IMHO.

6. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I always wore Haynes cotton Crew socks in my work boots. And that was hot, filthy factory work. I'd get about 2 years use out of them before they wore out. Still wear them after retiring and they will probably last 5+ years.

7. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I have to admit that I am on my feet almost 16 hours a day - doing something. The cotton socks would wear out and my feet would be cold in them (good thing only in the summer). I bought one pair of alpaca and that sold me. They last forever, they are weather comfortable and my feet do not sweat in them as bad in the summer. They come in different thicknesses for the different seasons.... I really like them but they are more expensive - but then I have not bought but 6 pairs in two years.

8. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

May be a bit off topic but would someone explain to me why a package of women's socks, which are much smaller, cost more than men's?

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Gold Toes
    Gold Toes
    Gold Toes
    Gold Toes
    Gold Toes
    Gold Toes!!!!!!

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

6 Toes would explain it, especially if they were gold. :rolleyes: :shrug:

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my husband Carharrt socks and they held up much longer than most.

12. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I like smartwool for warmth with good wicking to stay dry. Ultimax are the best for general walking, but less for work socks. A store here called 'Marks Work Wearhouse' has decent work socks not too expensive with long lasting warranty if they wear out. I have in the last year been getting winter and work socks from them. It might be just a Canadian franchise, I'm not sure about that.

13. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

I bought ten pairs of smart wool medium hiker socks about eight years ago, they keep my feet cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It took eight years to wear holes in the heals of those socks, I'd say they are worth the $16 a pair.

14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you handle grey?

If you can, Walmart has a sock for you. They are generic named, solid grey, with black ribbing stripes on the bottom. They are perhaps the best work sock I've ever run across.

Side bonus of them is the leg elastic is as strong as support type hose. They stay up, and they help prevent blood pooling in your feet.

15. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I like WigWam hiking socks. I think they may have a bit of wool in them, but I'm not sure. I'm on my second year and they're holding up well. Nice and warm in the winter.

Stacy

16. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/6682_Mens-Socks.html

DH loves the wool/polypro blends, and actually wears ski socks with his work boots. They're a little spendy, even though they're at Sierra, but they wear for YEARS. DH still has 3 pair that are at least 8 years old, and he wears them in work boots and stocking-footed too. He does mend them from time to time (sturdy toenails...)

There are a lot of different socks to choose from at this link. I can't figure out how to get the "dress" socks out of there, but it's worth the time to browse.

Pony!

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Get Merino wool/blend socks.Yep,expensive when you buy,cheap in the long run as they last and last and last.

When you figure in longevity,cheap socks cost a LOT more.I now have socks that are several years old.

The learning curve is finding which method of manufacture holds up best.I bought some from Walmart,same as the national brand purchased from Big 5.The walmarts are just falling apart,the Big 5 purchases are pure winners.

The Walmart socks were a couple bucks cheaper.Why? Because they are cheaper quality.

Im convinced,socks, you get what you pay for.

BooBoo

18. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I've tried everything that has been mentioned, including the Sierra Trading post selections of many brands, and haven't found any yet that last more than a few months (wearing them once a week). The best I have found lately were some thick white socks with a green band at the top at the local Goodwill store. Bought 2 pair to try, liked them, and of course they don't have them any more, and the company (of course I saved the label in case I liked them) doesn't admit that this style exists.

I'd sure like to find some good socks, too. So keep the suggestions coming. Another problem that I have is finding socks that fit my size 13 wide foot.

19. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

I agree with GOLD toe , many times you can find them at JC Pennys at a buy 1 get on 1/2 off sale.

Another good sock (also at JCP) is the addias brand. ( just bought some for hubby and they come in a 6 pk , was B1 get 1 1/2 off paid $22.50 + tax so less than $2 a pair)

I don't know why women's socks are more pricey , I buy white socks at JCP in the boys department. Wool socks I buy from LL Bean.

20. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The wool and wool/blend socks are great for occassional use, like hunting, hiking, outdoor sports, etc. These socks can be a hassle to wash and to be honest the brands I've purchasedover the years (which includes Wigwam) wear out easily.

For everday use, and constant washing in the wash machine, I still highly recommend Gold Toe crew socks. They are not cheap compare to other types of work/athletic socks, but they wear like iron and stand up to repeated machine washing.