Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody here has one right?

I am tired of mine. I want to try something new. Any suggestions?

Cindyc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought dressing (or stuffing, LOL!) was kinda like lasagna- no recipe, just throw it together.

I use bread crumbs, mild breakfast sausage, celery, onion, chicken broth and poultry seasoning.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Cindy,
My wife test drove a new formula for dressing last week. I sure did like it.
Sautee some hickory bacon (needs to be lean), spicy italian sausage, and a vidalia onion. Pour most of the oils off add a tart pie apple like granny smith. All cubed up. When the bacon is almost done also throw in some sliced button mushrooms, some fresh chopped sage and some fresh thyme.
My wife makes her own bread crumbs over the year and saves them in the freezer but any cubed bread will do.
Mix the bread and the meat mixture together with some chicken broth and put it in a cake pan . Cook it at about 350 degrees until the mixture starts to crust slightly on the surface. The deeper it is in the pan the longer it takes to cook. She layers it about 3" deep.
Add salt to taste. The more broth that you use the less salt you need because it carries alot of salt.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
There are more ways to make stuffing or dressing (difference is if its baked inside a turkey or not - but you can make any recipe either way). I wasn't sure what your tastes are so I'll suggest a couple of ideas:

Apple-Onion Stuffing -
http://homesteadingrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/03/apple-onion-stuffing.html

Green Apple & Tomatillo Cornbread Dressing -
http://homesteadingrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/09/green-apple-tomatillo-cornbread.html

Homemade Turkey Stuffing -
http://homesteadingrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/11/homemade-turkey-stuffing.html

Chestnut Stuffing for Turkey -
http://homesteadingrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/09/chestnut-stuffing-for-turkey.html

Good luck and have a great Turkey Day! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do the same as Shakeytails, but I add cooked wild rice too.
Me, too. I use half corn bread and half white bread crumbs. Saute onions and celery in butter, add to bread, throw in salt, pepper, sage and poultry seasoning. a can of mushrooms, a can of water chestnuts, enough water from the mushrooms and chestnuts to moisten, toss and stuff the bird with it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
One cup uncooked popcorn. When the popcorn blows the *ss off the bird, it's done. My father's favorite recipe.
Still smilin' at the memories of the old man.
Chas

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One cup uncooked popcorn. When the popcorn blows the *ss off the bird, it's done. My father's favorite recipe.
Still smilin' at the memories of the old man.
Chas
I hope you have video!

L! Good memories I bet.

CIndyc.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cindy,
My wife test drove a new formula for dressing last week. I sure did like it.
Sautee some hickory bacon (needs to be lean), spicy italian sausage, and a vidalia onion. Pour most of the oils off add a tart pie apple like granny smith. All cubed up. When the bacon is almost done also throw in some sliced button mushrooms, some fresh chopped sage and some fresh thyme.
My wife makes her own bread crumbs over the year and saves them in the freezer but any cubed bread will do.
Mix the bread and the meat mixture together with some chicken broth and put it in a cake pan . Cook it at about 350 degrees until the mixture starts to crust slightly on the surface. The deeper it is in the pan the longer it takes to cook. She layers it about 3" deep.
Add salt to taste. The more broth that you use the less salt you need because it carries alot of salt.
Oooohhhh that sounds really good. I might havta try this one. Thanks!

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
use the giblets in their stuffing/dressing?

I take the giblets and neck, simmer them with onion and celery, then take out the liver, giblet (gizzard), and heart; dice them and mix them with the bread and seasonings

The neck continues to simmer and later the broth gets added to the gravy

I guess I'm REALLY old-fashioned :)

Stef

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
use the giblets in their stuffing/dressing?

I take the giblets and neck, simmer them with onion and celery, then take out the liver, giblet (gizzard), and heart; dice them and mix them with the bread and seasonings

The neck continues to simmer and later the broth gets added to the gravy

I guess I'm REALLY old-fashioned :)

Stef
My mom used to make giblet gravy. She boiled the giblets and neck, cut it up, (pulled the neck bones out) and then thickened up with flour. Added salt. It was good. But my family won't eat it.

Cindyc.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
We like oyster dressing. Make traditional stuffing and put 1-2 pounds of oysters in it and cook it in a casserole dish in the oven.

RF

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
I bake the turkey with water and onions added. This allows for a good bit of broth as the juices cook out of the turkey, but keeps the bird from drying out.

I toast hamburger buns and mix about half and half with cornbread, eggs for a binder. Onions and celery are cooked in water and added to mix, and enough broth from the turkey to make a "slurry", salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste, baked in a 350 degree oven until it is "done", meaning heted through and browned on the top.

Giblets and boiled eggs are added to the gravy, made from browned flour and broth, and heated until reduced to proper consistancy.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This one is not fancy but very good, IMHO.

Cornbread, crumbled
3-4 bunches of green onions chopped
salt, pepper

1 or 2 eggs slightly beaten

mix together

Heat chicken broth (homemade is best). Add to cornbread mixture. You want it wet but not sloppy wet or too soupy.

Bake 350 or 375 until set and brown on top.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is my dh's favorite dressing recipe.

2 loaves of white bread torn into pieces
2 cans of olives sliced
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 cup of diced onion
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 cup of butter
turkey or chicken broth as needed
1 T tarragon
1/2 t paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs beaten

heat butter in a skillet and add onion and celery, when they start to get soft, add in mushrooms and cook for just a couple of minutes. Add this mixture to the bread in a large bowl and add in olives, and seasonings. Add enough broth to make it as wet or dry as you like it then add in eggs to bind. Stuff into turkey or put into casserole dish and bake until heated through.

I add quite a bit of turkey broth if baking in a casserole dish, less if going into the bird.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts