Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i am very new to pig's mine are about 12/13 weeks and i feed twice a day,,their grain is 13% protein is that enough??oh i give them 4- 32 oz cups each and water it down to about oatmeal. i also give them hay and weeds...i have to drive about a half hour there twice daily ,,is there a way that i can feed once a day,,,i am having surgery with in the month..to get a hernia fixed and i need to figure something a little easier out,,,any advice for me
thanks Dorothea

·
Registered
4 Posts
At that age a pig needs a higher protein feed (at least 16%) if you want them to grow and be big enough for the freezer this winter. I am not sure if you are giving them a pellet type feed or more like a ground pig grower but in my experience, we feed ground pig grower and do not mix it with any type of water. We just give it to them dry and they gobble it up.... We also have 5 gallon PVC type waterers with nipples for each pig. You could put the pigs on an automatic feeder in which they will have access to as much feed as they can consume but I will tell you that they will eat...and eat...and eat some more. Make sure that you worm them at least monthly. My kids have raised pigs for the last 4 years for 4-H and my youngest son won Grand Champion Market Hog at last years fair. Good Luck!!! :1pig:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay not a problem to get higher protein,( we just changed over a week ago),,its more like a ground feed...we had them on pellets with protein at 21%,,,it was called starter feed maybe i could mix the 2 together,,,we have a system where they get fresh water as they need it,,,automatic water ....i wonder if automatic feeders would work,,,like for dog food,,,i'll have to look around..thanks for helping me,,,,Dorothea

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Our pigs are getting 16% right now. Their growth has been sufficent for us. We got them in April at 40 lbs... and they are around 150-175 lbs right now. (one is on the smaller end and the other is on the higher end) It might be slower than it could be with higher protein but its at a good rate for us.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need to talk to the feed store about getting higher protein tomorrow,,,i think the pigs weight maybe 80 pounds..we got ours in June i believe...

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I am not a hobby farmer and the livestock I produce needs to be raised efficiently, inputs costs are a consideration. I would put the pigs on a self feeder of 14% protein, no feather meal, and once, with an effective product, is enough to worm a pig that is going to be butchered. Provide all the fresh water they can consume and in less that 6 months from birth you should have a hog weighing 220 to 240 lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts