I need advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by markm240, Jul 22, 2006.

1. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

I have a little meat rabbit about 8 weeks old his mama must have jumped on him when he was a little guy because he was lame is his hind quarters now he has a third leg not working but he is able to drag himself to water and food and don't seem to be in pain his back end isn't growing like it should so I can't sell him what should I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Personally, I would cull him. It's not pleasant but it's something we have to do. If you are sure of why he is lame in the hind quarters, you can probably process him and eat him yourself but if you aren't for sure, then I'd just cull him.

3. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

I hate to do that because he is so friendly and don't seem to be in pain, but then again I wanted to ask everyone what they thought though first

4. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on what level you are raising rabbits. I should not have assumed that you are in it for the production. I had a mini rex that had gotten a foot mangled by a dog and she survived and I kept her. I couldn't sell her either. She ended up being a great breeder and all was well. I kept her for several years.

If the bunny is not in pain and you want to keep feeding him, then by all means keep him or give him away to someone who wants a bunny that isn't interested in breeding.(I don't know if he could be a breeder with three bad legs)

If he's that friendly, I'd probably want to keep him too.

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

It sounds like he has broken his back and is paralyzed from the waist down. I had a doe do that (one of my best!), and she did the same thing yours did, and eventually she died. I doubt he will ever get better (never heard of THAT fixing itself), and he will PROBABLY pass away, I don't think they can go to the bathroom easily, and have other internal problems becuase of it. If you want to keep him, do so, but if he starts looking clogged up, etc... you will probably want to cull him.