I need advice on planting crocus and grape hyacinth bulbs.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ardie/WI, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Today I bought a bunch of them and I want to plant them in the front and side lawn.

We have a bulb auger for bigger bulbs and I plan on supplementing the holes as I stick them in because the ground really isn't that good.. What should I use for supplement?

Also, when do I plant them? And should we water the area after they're in - it's been very dry here in Zone 4.

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people add bone meal when planting bulbs but if you have a racoon or squirrel problem that might not be such a good idea. Other than that bulbs are pretty much self contained and don't require anything. If you want to improve the soil generally you can add compost or coffee grounds - spread either one in a thin layer over the whole lawn at any time.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

No need to water them, unless you need it to soften the ground. We plant spring bulbs any time the ground isn't frozen solid.

4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I think most spring bulbs should be planted in the fall, although they can be planted in the spring as well. I think they bloom better when planted in the fall. Bone meal is always what I've been told to use however I found a bag of bulb food in WalMart the other day for under $3.00 so I went with that instead as I couldn't find any bone meal. I also like to use sheep manure in my flower beds as it doesn't burn them. Oh, and I'd water them after you plant them at least once so that the dirt will settle around the bulbs.