I need advice on a difficult area.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ardie/WI, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

As I type, a new lawn is being planted by a neighbors cousin. We lost a great deal of it when a new well was dug last August and an attached garage was constructed this past winter. ( I won't miss the mud! :no: )

I have a small area on the north side of this big ol' farmhouse that cannot get much sunlight. It is between solid concrete steps and a granite foundation. It's about 6-8 feet wide and long. At one time we tried patio squares ut they got moldy and icky. Now they're gone and grass will be planted there for now.

I'm in Zone 4, by the way. Down the line, I'd like to replace the grass there with perhaps a ground cover that didn't need mowing OR we could leave the grass but plant an ornamental bush of some sort. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could plant there that would grow with little sunlight.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

We're in zone 4 in western WI. Years ago we planted a couple varieties of hosta on the north sides of our house and garage. Doesn't take any attention and looks good, keeps down weeds, does not spread out of control and will survive any Wisconsin winter...at least those we've had in the past 25 yrs. If you want some let me know.

3. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Hi Ardie,
    Here is a website plant list for shade loving plants for zone 4. I hope this helps. If you click on each plant name, it will take you to a description and photo of the plant.
    mamabear

http://www.backyardgardener.com/shade/zone4.html