Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS's 6th birthday is right around the corner and I am searching and researching for a good radio controlled car for Granna to buy for him.
I would like one that is good in the yard and going over some grass etc.. a good all terrain vehicle.
It would be great if the batteries lasted a decent amount of time and it had AA batteries or comes with a quick recharger for another type of battery.
I would really like a car that works! I know that is a lot to ask...
do any of you have any suggestions? Is there a remote controlled car that works for you and yours?
Help, please.
I have been at this for ages and the reviews either say that the batteries die in 15 minutes or that the car is just awful...

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
radio shack starts selling lots of RC cars this time of year. Just keep in mind a good RC car is going to set your back $300+ The rest are just RC toys.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then I should rephrase that, then.
I need a GOOD rc toy.
He has just wanted one for ages and I don't want him to be all disappointed when it doesn't perform well... or at all. He is a really great kid and I would like him to be overjoyed.
And I can't think of anything else to get him.. or to have Granna get him, rather.

·
lost in my own mind
330 Posts
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/index.html i got my son a electric traxxs 7 years ago and it still runs it will go threw the grass make fishtails as it spins out on the dirt and can do 35 mph real speed and now with the new battery's it even better. dont buy and rc car unless you want to pay at least 175$ the rest is junk look at the site and give it a look.. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/trac14.html... this one is the one i got my son, just get lots of battery's as they can drain them in 10 minutes or so or go nitro but they are quite noise.. a movie of what im talking about what a true rc car can do and this one is electric..http://www.traxxas.com/ftp/rustler_vxl/3708Rustler_02.htm

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't remember the brand of car, but there was one out about 3-5 years ago that would run into an wall and flip over and keep on running. Looked really good and was in the $40-50 range.

Anyone else remember that car?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would suggest a battery over gas powered for his age.

If you are willing/able to spend $2-300 on the car, you will be in the caliber that he can upgrade parts as his interest and abilities allow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A 6 year old will annihilate a "hobby" grade RC car in no time. They are fragile and require constant attention and many many trips to the hobby shop. From the point of view of someone that had a multi-hundred dollar RC car as a child - these are for people with their own steady income.

I can't make any specific suggestions other than to stay out of the hobby shops for another 8 - 10 years. They have made great improvements in the "toy" grade RC cars in the time since I was growing up.

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Sadly, my experience has been that kids end up being disappointed by most all battery powered toys. They dont last very long under 'perfect' conditions, and I know that MY boys would always break them, sooner or later. (usually sooner).

Just get one that is somewhat affordable, and be pretty comfortable in knowing it wont last that long.

"Hey, wouldn't it be cool to drive it thru a mud puddle? Off the brick wall onto the driveway? Hey, lets play crash derby. Lets chase the cat/dog with it..." etc.

but maybe your son is not like that. Just my .02.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Reminded me of that Monster Garage episode where they made a real life worn out stock car radio controlled. That was cool and might be cheaper than the toys..... Course it could put a hole in fence, barn, crash into your car....

I dont have cable/satellite so was happy Netflix offered the Monster Garage on dvd. Lot of the projects were pure silliness, but the engineering to bring them to life was pretty good and to finish one of those projects in a week downright amazing.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'd go to one of the chain hobby stores. Hobbytownusa, hobbylobby etc. They usually have a decent selection of stuff plus they're online.

As for a good quality car I'd perhaps recommend a truck. I've been told that the "Traxxas E Maxx" is pretty hard to tear up and performs quite well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When we first got into trucks we ran the Nikko brand. They hold up really well. We now have moved into the hobby class. I agree with the statements aobut steady income, they are always needing something.(although parts are really reasonable) The key is to teach the child to drive and to respect the toy. We would not allow unsupervised play time at first with the trucks. When they earned the trust then they could start to take them out on their own. Accidents do still happen, but the water puddles and brick walls don't. I have 3 boys with trucks, 1 girl with her own truck, and I have a gas monster truck. We have several families in the area that now own hobby class trucks because of us. We are the repair shop for most of them. My boys can disassemble and reapair anthing on their trucks now.

Thanks
Theront

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
He's 6. Go and get a nice sturdy on in the $30 range. Then get a couple of identical ones and stick them in the closet. Now, should he break the one past repair, dry his eyes, tell him you'll see what you can do, and give him one of the replacements and let him know that whatever he did to break it, never do it again.

Even if you get 3, It's still just under a hundred dollars, you don't have a high maintenance, several hundred dollar toy that you'll drive a 6 year old insane with fretting over, and you have taken all the stress out of it. Enjoy watching him stampede through the house shouting joyfully and driving his toy.

Try to get one where the wheels stick out past the front. That way when he crashes it into a wall (absolutely irresistible for a 6 yo) the tires hit the wall and not the plastic. Get the race car kind, because if you get one that looks like a truck, he will want to put stuff in it and be disappointed. And while you're at it, just invest in some rechargable batteries and a charger, it's a great thing to have in the house anyway. And while you can recharge regular batteries, it's not the best idea. It can ruin your charger and they stop holding a charge after a couple of times.

Been there, done that. ;) Have fun, 6 is a great age. If he really get's into RC, you can get him the hobby kind when he's 10 or so. He'll either have lost interest or be really into it by then. And then he can pay for all his little upgrades and parts with extra chores too.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't remember the brand of car, but there was one out about 3-5 years ago that would run into an wall and flip over and keep on running. Looked really good and was in the $40-50 range.

Anyone else remember that car?
Neighbor boy had one of those. It went everywhere and on everything, their backyard is FULL of tree roots and it just plowed through. We moved, or I'd run over and find out what it's called.

Edited to add: they got it at Toys R Us (I remember because they bought all their kids' toys there)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Our son had a Tyco about 12-14 years ago, and it was indestructible. He beat that poor thing for a year. We got anther one (different make) and it was soon dead, while the little Tyco was still working, although missing many cosmetic parts. If I recall, it was about $30. Don't bother getting a decent one until he's maybe 12, and proving he is responsible enough.

·
Registered
222 Posts
http://www.hobbytron.com/RCCars.html

Whether or not you order from here, this should give you a good idea of what's out there and the relative costs.

BTW, I purchased a toy online through this site (not a car, though) and the delivery was faster than I expected.

The only advice I can give you if it's an electric (I suspect you'll probably go that path, is pay close attention to a) the approximate operating time on a full charge (this info should be provided somewhere) b)the approximate charging time to bring it to full charge, and c) what kind of battery(ies) it uses. On the last point, make sure you get a battery charger and a two sets of whatever kind of rechargeable batteries you'll need so he can have one set charging all the time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
http://www.hobbytron.com/RCCars.html

Whether or not you order from here, this should give you a good idea of what's out there and the relative costs.

BTW, I purchased a toy online through this site (not a car, though) and the delivery was faster than I expected.

The only advice I can give you if it's an electric (I suspect you'll probably go that path, is pay close attention to a) the approximate operating time on a full charge (this info should be provided somewhere) b)the approximate charging time to bring it to full charge, and c) what kind of battery(ies) it uses. On the last point, make sure you get a battery charger and a two sets of whatever kind of rechargeable batteries you'll need so he can have one set charging all the time.

Good luck.
Looked at the above link. The stunt cars are what I was talking about. Perfect for a 6 year old and under $20 each.

Your GS can crash it into walls, have it spin in the middle of the floor, terrorize the cat:eek:! Perfect fun for a little guy!:cowboy:

·
Registered Doofus
362 Posts
I've found your answer! Was just e-mailed to me from Northern Tool. This rcbuggy will surely be a big help for the adults too!

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I keep forgetting to mention this. My little brother had one of the weeny toy ones that he only used in the house, but anytime he used it you couldn't talk on the phone. I don't know if they still interfere with phones, but until you find out, I would make sure he isn't playing when you are on the phone taking orders for eggs!!

Kayleigh

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
...............Get him an Erector set so he can use his mechanical abilty , or , lincoln logs , or , A Kite with about 300 feet of nylon twine on a Reel with a handle ! Get him something for Inside for those long cold winter days , and something for ourside , like a Kite . An erector set will last him for years and it doesn't need batteries:eek: . , fordy

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys so much for the replies.
He is not much help on what he wants for his birthday etc.. sweet thing says he has everything he wants or needs.
I gave a list of cars sites to Granna.
We are getting him another Skyrail marble coaster thing to expand the one he has.. what a great toy. I play with it too.
And he likes his Lincoln Logs and building sets etc..
his favorite thing is still watching documentaries and taking notes though. He has stacks of notebooks with diagrams of Egyptian pyramids and all the tunnels and of ecosystems and he designs new machinery to do tasks etc..
I love nerds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts