Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the word for today is water....and maybe filter too.

are you ready for whats coming?

Reactions: calliemoonbeam

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lifestraw in action

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Reactions: calliemoonbeam

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I guess I don't get this. If you move to a desert and complain about water scarcity, that sounds like a personal choice issue to me. The cisterns of Petra have been around for a lot longer than water shortages have been claimed in South Florida.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well not exactly....the region has become a desert after all the chopping and burning and destroying for a very long time.....the water actually runs off so fast it has no time to sink into underground to recharge wells.

theres an area where the Bedouin tribe has had a bit of help building short dams to slow water....its been a great success......dug wells that have been dry for decades are working again.i seen this in the living woods magazine and it showed how the recharging is allowing them to have vineyards and trees and inhabit this certain area again.

you know you just might not be where you are forever.....a waterfilter might get ya a drink of water....thats the only purpose...more people dont have access to the type water we have...and we may not in the end.

$20 lifestraw or any filter will let ya drink from a mudhole.....thats all i am saying...i like pictures.

http://www.thelifestraw.com/

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzLEeAgsks#t=42[/ame]

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have a ceramic filter in back up, but now I have a filter hooked to the county water to filter before I drink. If necessary I can get water from a spring and filter it. I would probably build a filter in a drum to rough treat the water before putting it through the ceramic filter if the county water got undrinkable or shut off.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Those pictures make me so sad. I don't know how those people do it and just think of all the illness and death that has to be causing. But yeah, that could easily be us in the not so distant future. Maybe not so much a lack of water, but dirty, contaminated water for sure.

Shoot, I can't even count on "good" water now, lol! The rural water district here has horrible water even on it's best day. It's really hard and tastes bad all the time, and we have lots of notices of this and that being at unacceptable levels.

I just got another notice that there were way high, unacceptable levels of several different heavy metals and bacteria in the water...for almost all of 2013! :eek: They never notify us until well after the fact...gee thanks, what are we supposed to do about it now?

When I first moved out here, I drank the water, figured it was just hard and I'd get used to it. But then my doctor suggested the water might be causing some of the skin and GI issues I was having, and I started developing hemochromatosis liver indices with way too much iron...after being anemic and needing extra iron my whole life. I even had to stop using my cast iron to cook in, wahh! I started using my Berkey daily and the issues got better real quick.

I've been using it regularly ever since, but hate that I have to test it all the time to make sure it's working properly. Even so, after drinking out of my insulated mug all day, by evening it has white deposits on the inside of the cup. I don't like the idea of that coating the insides of ME too, lol, but I don't know what to do about it.

I had always thought with the Berkey I was safe, until Common Tator had her issues. I have a Royal Berkey for the house, a travel Berkey for road trips or camping and a couple of Sport Berkeys for running errands or hiking. But I'm planning to also get a couple of Life Straws and something else bigger for the house, just not sure what yet.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Those pictures make me so sad. I don't know how those people do it and just think of all the illness and death that has to be causing. But yeah, that could easily be us in the not so distant future. Maybe not so much a lack of water, but dirty, contaminated water for sure.

Shoot, I can't even count on "good" water now, lol! The rural water district here has horrible water even on it's best day. It's really hard and tastes bad all the time, and we have lots of notices of this and that being at unacceptable levels.

I just got another notice that there were way high, unacceptable levels of several different heavy metals and bacteria in the water...for almost all of 2013! :eek: They never notify us until well after the fact...gee thanks, what are we supposed to do about it now?

When I first moved out here, I drank the water, figured it was just hard and I'd get used to it. But then my doctor suggested the water might be causing some of the skin and GI issues I was having, and I started developing hemochromatosis liver indices with way too much iron...after being anemic and needing extra iron my whole life. I even had to stop using my cast iron to cook in, wahh! I started using my Berkey daily and the issues got better real quick.

I've been using it regularly ever since, but hate that I have to test it all the time to make sure it's working properly. Even so, after drinking out of my insulated mug all day, by evening it has white deposits on the inside of the cup. I don't like the idea of that coating the insides of ME too, lol, but I don't know what to do about it.

I had always thought with the Berkey I was safe, until Common Tator had her issues. I have a Royal Berkey for the house, a travel Berkey for road trips or camping and a couple of Sport Berkeys for running errands or hiking. But I'm planning to also get a couple of Life Straws and something else bigger for the house, just not sure what yet.
Check out the Sawyer filters. I use mine daily. Supposed to be good for 'one million gallons'. Price was reasonable.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
A whistling teapot, a empty container, and a piece of plastic tube will distill salt water or dirty water into clean water in a short time. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00kKPOs_FA4[/ame]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts