I milked my goat today!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caren, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

My first time milking a goat! :clap: I went out to pet Abigail and realised the poor baby was carrying a watermelon under her. When I bought her I didn't realise that they were currently milking her. I Knew she had kidded in May and when I felt her udder it was soft... Well like DUH they had just finished chores! Now I realise it... Anyways I called the lady that has taught me about goats and soapmaking and she explained what to do. Well Abigail wasn't happy (can't say as I blame her there) but I did manage to get a couple cups of milk off her. So here I am trying to help this poor girl out and my 7 year old Kyle comes running in the barn with a plastic cup leftover from vacation So what the heck I squirted the thing half full and we played pass the cup. Hands down the feeling was YUCK :( . But my youngest Kathryn (6) Vallently carried her prize of milk in the house and into the fridge it went. I come in to get something out of the fridge and darned if there wasn't a couple of hairs in it. Anyways Abigail and the kittens won on that one. Oh did I mention that more milk hit the ground and my pant leg than what actually hit the bucket? :shrug:

Caren

PS DH asked what are you going to do with the milk? And I told him Cheese butter soaps lotions... He informed me that there was no way he was eating the butter and the cheese and I informed him that this IS A HOMESTEAD he will eat it! he just laughed and left for work.

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ain't it funny? Who'd have thought that yanking on a poor goats teats would give one such satisfaction? HAHA!!
    Had you ever milked before? If not then that's a major accomplishment! COngrats!!

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Sorry but I have to jump in....(please don't hurt me :help: ) but you do NOT yank on goats teats when milking (some people believe you have to or you need to but it is not true by anymeans). Some people say you do (not that you do allenslabs) but you are not supposed to. It hurts the goat and makes them more antsy and yuor just plain don't need to yank, pull or anything on their teats to help milk. You just squeeze.

Ok I shall shut up on that subject now and get to the important one. CONGRATS ON MILKING YOUR FIRST GOAT :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: !!!! You did MUCH better than me..my first time I hardly was able to get milk :shrug: .

MotherClucker

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy some milk filters (or use a coffee filter), and filter the milk as soon as you bring it in. Chill it quickly, too, for best taste. You'll need more than a couple of cups to make cheese. lol. But I bet you'll get more on your next try.
    mary

5. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh I know you don't yank...... just a figure of speach. I've breastfed 3 kids and had to pump some out and KNOW you do NOT yank! HAHA!! Or pinch ..... or anything that could hurt..... haha!