i milked daisy, but did a ruin the milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I did it, i milked her. i had to lift the leg nearest to me over knee and have death grip on it, but she was actually pretty good! she'll get used to it, and hopefully so will i. (my hands feel weak and it's hard to type.. lol)
    well, i pasturized the milk and now it smells bad, like when u heat milk up in the microwave for too long. i read that you can "scorch" the milk. is this the problem? i thought that i under heated b/c after i had it cooled and everything, i found out that it was supposed to be 165 degrees, compared to my 150 degrees.
    can i repasturize, and did i ruin this milk?
    it wasnt going to be for people neways, for our dogs b/c there were floaties in it, i didnt wash her udder well enough. im still learning... hehe.

2. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Good job at milking her! Sorry I am no help with the pasterizing part, but if you are using water to wash her udder, you might not want to. We were doing that for our goats, and our vet told us that that cuases them to get mastitis. You can buy this teat dip that works great! I do not know if this is true or not, but I am just warning you in case! Good luck with getting your milk pasturized and getting your goat to stand better!
    Heather

3. Caprice Acres

thanx,lol :D
    i used a water and iodine mix, is this ok?i also used fight bac.

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Use warm soapy water to wash her with before and after milking and then spray her with viniger when finished. The vinager helps sterilize and keeps bugs and ickies away.

5. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

That's what we were using too, warm soapy water.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I just started milking one of my familys does about two weeks ago, and now my dog loves Clara, the goat. I do not pasterize it becuase one I do not know how and two it is only ever going to be for my dogs anyway. I'm sorry but I have to tell this story..... Once my dog Duke was stealing the milk while I was trying to milk Clara, and I think that he might have benn trying to drink frm her teat because I felt the udder go the other way, and today he gave her a kiss when he was done to show how much he appreciates her milk. By the way mygoat I know how ya feel, Clara has never been milked before and everyday is a struggle, although she has been getting better, and Duke really does like her now.

7. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Getting a goat upset or nervous is one reason for off flavored milk.If I'm saving the milk NO ONE comes into my milk area!
    Some of my girls wont even get up on the milk stand to eat the little bit of feed I have for them when a stranger comes in!!!
    If you don't want to get turned off from milk,practice milking untill they learn to settle down.
    Brush them well so loose hair and debris don't fall in your container.By the way I use a quart jar to have a smaller opening for foreign material to fall in :rolleyes:
    There's other things you can do to make it cleaner but this will get you started I hope.Oh and I wouldn't pasturize for myself let alone a dog!If they can dig up a decayed road kill and feast on it you will not hurt them with little floatiesLOL
    Chas
    PS I started the same way ;)

8. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I must have good goats as anyone they want can come in and watch me milk my goat and even learn how to milk and they are all just great! They love people and it's never bothered them to have several different people around them. I guess I'm pretty lucky. And the milk always tastes wonderful!
    I don't pasturize as I see no need. I clean the udder good and strain out all nasties with a bounty paper towel and so far no problems.
    Hope it works out for ya!
    Jessi

9. Caprice Acres

it didnt start out for the dogs, but it now is because it smells bad from pasturizing.

10. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh I see..... then don't pasturize! HAHA!! Just make sure you strain it real good and all your goats are healthy and just stick it in the fridge asap and then enjoy! THat's all I do and most people are amazed as they thought it was some drawn out process. But I milk, strain and refridgerate and it works alright for me . I don't knwo abotu everyone else but it does over here.

11. Caprice Acres

hehe okay!!! lol that makes it easier neways. :D

12. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

You always need to strain the milk through a filter. You can buy a package of filters for around $5.00 for 100 filters. I use a permanet coffee filter (the hard plastic ones) and cut the filter to fit. I get about 3 to each single filter. Then I strain. I put the milk into the freezer for about 1 hour to quick cool it and then move it to the fridge. I bought an electric pasteurizer on ebay for about $30 and it works great. If you feed the milk to animals, it is always a good idea to pasteurize because that way if by chance your doe has any disease it won't pass to the animal through the milk. If you know your doe is healthy, then there shouldn't be any problem. I give some of my does milk to one of our bucklings as I think he may be a little on the small side and he really enjoys it. He is 6 months old and smaller than our 3 1/2 mo old (who is actually quite large). They both have the same Dad. I have even found our chickens will try and steal the milk any chance they get.

13. Caprice Acres

i bought hoeggers mini strainer and filters, and use those, they work good. the milk doesnt smell bad nemore though, and there was a really thick coating on top of the milk. cream? i shook it and it was gone, do i have to keep shaking it? if i separate it, is it "skim milk?" i luv this forum, i learn so much. :bow:

14. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I understand about hurtin yourself. I had to milk last summer with three broke fingers, bull related though, not goat related.

Here is how I milk:

I am fortunate in that my LaManchas came from a dairy and were used to being milked. They enjoy it and do not need to have their heads in a stanction or even need a rope. They just hop up and start eating and visiting children or anyone can milk them. All goats are not nervous.

I get my things ready then open the gate and let goat number one in. It is important for my goats to be milked in the same order each time.

I use unscented baby wipes to clean the udder and my hands, then lube up the teats with a bit of Bag Balm or Udder Butter. Then I take another baby wipe and wipe the excess off. This provides the perfect gripe for me and my goats. I squirt the first amount of milk out into the air to clean out the "chambers'. If the goat is freshly freshened, then i am very careful to inspect for lumps and blood and stuff like that. But now i have been milking these gal since the first part of April and they have very healthy udders and I don't worry much.

I cover my milk bucket with my straining cloth and milk through it so the milk is filtered as I milk. No hairs fall in or flies. I use a cut up old sexy nightie for this. I bleach it after every use to keep it clean.

I carry my gallon Mogan David wine bottle out there in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a couple of ice packs and a towel on top to pour my milk into after each goat. They two goats just fill one bottle by now as I just feed them regular food, no hi-pro. (I carry 2 five gallon plactic buckets out there, the other contains my milk bucket i just described with my clothe filter tied over it and a small container of sliced pears or apples for their after milking treat.)

I finish each goat up with a bag massage to bring down more milk, I assess for any lumps or problems, I spray each teat hole with Fight Bac and reward each goat with a treat as she correctly leaves her post and goes to where i want her.

I go straight into the house, 75 yards away (I have really strong arms and shoulders from all that carrying!) and I put my milk in the freezer part of the fridge after dating the bottle. I don't put it in the deep freeze because the fridge freezing section chills faster. After about 2 hours and 15 minutes the milk is near freezing and i put it into the fridge for use. If I want to freeze it, i would put it in plastic containers and lable first before freezing.

We NEVER pasteurize.

15. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

It's all right it will get easier. Guess what, today Clara was waiting for me in the corner that I milk her in! She was so good, I jsut put the rope on her, although t=I think that I could have done it without the rope she was so still! I think that she has a sore teat though, she does fine on one side but as soon as I try to milk the other side I have to hold her down, and as you said that absulutly stinks. Wi9ll the point is is that it is going to get easier, Clara is over six years old and as far as I know has NEVER been milked before, and with the exception of the one teat, you would think that she had been doing it her whole life. Guess it is never too late to teach an old goat new tricks.