Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I was planning on planting tomatoes outside this week, but night time temps are too cold to take a chance.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run fans on them daily to make them strong and help with pollination. They also get moved outside on warmer afternoons.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That's cool, hopefully you'll get an early harvest. For pollination, just tap on the top of the flower bracts. I have to do that a bit out here because we don't really have much in the way of natural pollinators and the wind is fickle, although I use an electric toothbrush. I'm sure I look like a lunatic running through the tomatoes every morning brushing them.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mother-in-law is in Buffalo.

I could try putting plastic bags over them at night but we are still getting 30 degree nights and I don't want to chance it. I do all my tomatoes in containers here. We have had hard frosts in July and August.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
The tomatoes won't go out for another month. For some reason I don't understand I lost all of my first batch of starts. The next batch are doing pretty good, but nowhere near blossoming size.

This year I got a seed starter mat and it works well. I also have a new LED grow light that looks odd, blue and pink alternating lights, but it seems to make the plants happy.

I need to get something put together for the end of growing season. I generally don't have enough time for tomatoes to get ripe and it gets cold enough at night to ruin the texture of the tomatoes, even when they are still on the vine.

I keep telling myself that the challenge is half the fun.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are in baskets and pots for that very reason. I can move them back inside if it gets too cold before they are all ripe. I have 4 plants for larger tomatoes ready to be transplanted into grow boxes.

There are just two of us so that is plenty of tomatoes if all goes well. I want to try some of those LED grow lights.

·
Registered
860 Posts
one of the Romano tomato i have is only a few inches tall and it is already got a tiny little tomato on it

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
One of my tomatillo plants has a bud on it. Mine are on a metal shelving unit with a plexiglass top and shower curtain sides. It sits in the front yard right next to the house.

Our early morning temps are supposed to be in the mid to upper 30's this week. I don't have room to bring the plants back inside. The plants really need to be put in bigger pots, some plants are twice as tall as their pots.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Our low Saturday is 42 and we have a microclimate due to the winds blowing across the field so I have to hold until Sunday and then like many of you my overgrown tomatoes are going in the ground - I guess I should be grateful haven't seen 30 in a couple of weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts