Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted 10/10/21 12:03 A.M. CDST

The past 10 years or so my doc has bounced me between arthritis pills and cortisone and epidurals to help keep my arthritis pains down and keep m from getting ulcers or other gastric issues.

As my last cortisone was wearing off and O was dreading having to go on the arthritis pills , a rancher I know suggested I do as he does for his arthritis and try Absorbine liniment.

When I told him Asorbine Jr. never helped me before, he said "not Junior. Asorbine Veterinary Liniment like he uses on his older horses and himself for the last 45 years.

He told me like Brylcream, for a human "a little dab will do you" and gave me some in a jelly jar to see if it worked and make sure I didn't rash.

Other than smelling like Limburger cheese mixed into Ben Gay original arthritis cream for about a half hour until it completely dried, the little bit about the size of the toothpaste put on a brush i put on my knees, shoulder and hips has lowered my pain by about 80%. during the past week or so.

I felt so good yesterday I even left my back brace and knee brace off and only used my crutch in case my knee tricked out on me even though it isn't hurting as bad as it has..

When I went by the farm supply store today for my own bottle of liniment , a friend who works there saw me reading the ingredients to verify the bottle I was selecting didn't contain either of the things the rancher told me were dangerous for humans and said if I was getting it for myself the one I had was what he used himself after bronc riding at rodeos and reiterated that for people just put a dab on one finger tip and rub in.

I sure like country boy remedies especially when they work so good for an eighth of the cost of an office visit :).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
"Arthritis" is one of the most difficult problems to treat in medicine. I use the quotation marks because most cases are really arthralgia (pain without inflammation) rather than an "-itis" (inflammation = swelling + redness + pain + lost function). ....

Most of us get arthralgia as we age. Ligaments ae made out of complex polycarbohydrates, just like spaghetti. And just like spaghetti, ligaments are stiff and brittle when cold and very flexible when warm. This why athletes warm up- literally trying to raise the temp of the joints. Heat makes painful joints feel better. That's how most liniments work- they irritate and bring more warm blood into the area. Just rubbing the joint can do the same thing.

BTW- for most people with a "bad back" using a back brace makes it worse. A weight lifter uses a wide belt not to support his back, but to use his spine as the brace on which to hold his abdominal muscle in.

Pt: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
Doc: Then don't do that.

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Shrek: I'd try that if I knew what ingredients were bad for humans....

As I sit here, with a hot pack on my neck and shoulder....

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
I tried a back brace...put it on, was feeling GREAT...for about 15-20 seconds...and then it felt like something was trying to snap my spine, SEVERE pain. Ripped that puppy off and flopped down on a bed, was in too much pain to move. The phrase "back brace" gives me shivers now.

Mon

• Sad
Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

·
Saltine American
7,014 Posts
My sister says Deep Blue Rub helps her husband and it smells like horse linament. She used it when they were visiting and I told her it smelled like she had treated a horse. My Australian Shepherd doesn't like the smell, so it may be a good dog repellent. ;)

Reactions: lostspring

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'm in the process of writing a novel about a homosexual Roman chariot racer. It will be titled Ben Gay. That's as good as any local irritant for bone & muscle pain pain, too. There's no magic stuff.

·
newfieannie
10,128 Posts
that's all i remember dad using is horse linament. i over worked yesterday vacuming and whatnot. today my hip is killing me. i use a cold pk for awhile . that seems to ease it. i also took a muscle relaxant. i must say i do use a back brace .~Georgia

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Chewy has it if your not into feed stores.
But Chewy no longer sells fish antibiotics! Sad. Covid has changed so many things. Price hike on ivermectin too. Bought mine for $7 .amazon its $30 something.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
I swear by glucosamine chondroitin for arthritic pain. I don't think it will stop back pain once it starts, but I think when I am taking G/C I have fewer problems with my back.

·
Premium Member
28,221 Posts
My great-grandpa used Absorbine horse liniment. I don't think it helped him much. He never got up and did much of anything except annoy Grandma.

I currently reek of something called Blue Stop. Sam's Club sells it. My back still hurts but not as bad as it did before using the Blue Stop.

We ran out of G/C a few weeks ago. We need to get more. Can't say if it really helps but my legs don't get so restless when I take that.

·
newfieannie
10,128 Posts
i use Joint Ease which has G/C. it needs to be taken every day though. it's not working on my back . this is something i did while cleaning the house. reaching up to clean the light fixtures etc. i think.

i got about an hr of sleep. then i had to get up and walk around. it's across the middle of my back tonight. i'm doing a lot of walking through the living room and around to the kitchen but i'm using the walker that my husband had . this usually helps to get me going. i'm glad i kept that. i rub it with A535 but i think i'll pick up some of that blue stuff that was mentioned. i do recall seeing it at wmart. ~Georgia

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Posted 10/11/21 11:51 P.M. CDST

Shrek: I'd try that if I knew what ingredients were bad for humans....

As I sit here, with a hot pack on my neck and shoulder....
The ingredient to avoid is Dimethyl sulfoxide ( DMSO ) because it is a mid level toxicity compound to humans and can cause rash and a copper /garlic taste in the mouth shortly after contact with the skin.

Asorbine Veterinary Liniment uses menthol. It was called Asorbine Sr. when the company started selling the FDA approved the diluted less effective Asorbine Jr.

All I know is after using it once a day every other day my hips and knees aren't tricking out on me and I am not wearing my knee or back braces all the time anymore. i just keep my cane in hand in case I need a quick lean and only felt need of a quick lean once in the past week.

·
STILL not Alice
20,908 Posts
I know humans who have used DMSO and had no problems.

Me, I won't use it, because the smell is indistinguishable from dead crab rotting on the beach.

But I will try the Absorbine. Going to the feed store tomorrow, and I'll pick some up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL; I like to hear Doc's opinions----I get a chuckle from them. Here the wife uses Glucosamine/Chondroi. She was told it helped about half the people who took it---and she thinks it helps her. I don;'t have enough pain to worry about, although any little bruise or cut is now a major issue. I bleed like a stuck hog anytime the skin is broken---and it breaks so much more easily now than when I was 85. Shrek---Hope that stuff continues to work for you.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
My pts must have got a kick out of me too. Whenever I told them how I'd handle things, they usually responded with "You're kidding."

The gluc/chondro thing is not a pain killer, but gets to the root of the cause-- The stuff coats the joint surfaces to make them smooth again after age/high mileage have torn them up. I have trouble believing that (how does it get past our stomach acid. liver digestion, etc?...But studies by the vets where they do before and after biopsies of horse joints shows it in Gram Stain & white that it does....I'll be horn swoggled. (What other kind of swoggled is there?)

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL, Doc; Primary care man took x-ray, saw no cartilage in wife's knees, sent her to fellow who does knees. He asked her which hurt worse, she replied that she did not hurt. He stood, said "We're done here; I do not operate on knees that don't hurt". She still takes the GC, still does not hurt and will be 90 next Mo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts