I may have a sick doe, need advice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JoyKelley, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I have gone on my merry way for around a year and a half with healthy happy goats, no illness or incidents. I understand they are fragile animals and her not feeling well today scares me

It has been raining but they have a nice big clean barn to hang in, I keep fans running above their heads to move air and we haven't had any new animals come in.They are wormed as needed,

This morning my head doe has a stuffy nose. not gooky or runny but you can hear her breathe , trying to pull air in, . Her appetite is OK but not up to usual, she otherwise acts normally. I don't know the first thing about the medicines and shots you all talk about . Other than calling the very expensive vet , can you give me some suggestions

thanks for all advice in advance

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Pasturella? Maybe? Or with the rain, could be pneumonia.... Not sure what Vicki or some of the others would advise but when my doe had "icky nose" I got some CT granules (tetracycline) and fed through. I don't know about a withdrawal time though. I do know that if you catch it early, there's more you can do. I know, that statement is a real help. Sorry. Anyway, tetracycline is the drug of choice for respitory illnesses and it comes in a variety of forms. Just make sure she has "support" if you use anything besides the feed through granules...like yogurt or probios.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine get this way in wet weather as well. If its real bad try some Vet rx nasal drops. Give her some probiotics and chewable C vitamn if you have some.

Your feed store may have vet rx or you can get it at Jeffers online.

4. JoyKelley

like i said we have been very healthy , just what is probiotics and probios and where do i find it ? and thanks for answering and I have to go to work, she won't be dead by the time I get home will she ???

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Not likely to die....especially if her appetite is still good.

You could take her temp. rectally to see if she has infection. She may just have a cold in which case antibiotics will only kill her rumen balance....probiotics help to keep rumen healthy when stressed. The feed store you use should have it in paste, granules ...labelled for cows.

My girls when thru our wet Spring with cold temps and kidding time like this for a month and a half April to May here in Maine...most everyone else's goats were having similar issues....

I dont like to jump onto antibiotics unless I know for certain the type of infection, but it is best to treat early on before a secondary problem develops.

6. jvjfarm

jvjfarm Glad to Be Here!

Hi,

Did you take her temperature? Should be below 104...if it's high, I'd get her on injectable antibiotics...summer pneumonia can hit hard and fast. Biomycin is available at most farm stores...give it at the cow rate (I usually give 3 cc sq for my nigerian adults) It can be given either IM or SQ, every 24 - 36 hours. Be sure to give probiotic to support her gut, as it will kill off many of the good bacteria in the rumen. I'm not one to run immediately to antibiotics, but I've also lost a couple that I waited too long on!

If you'd rather wait, try giving her several chewable Vitamin Cs (up to 5000mg) Don't wait too long - especially if she goes off feed or starts coughing. Oh, another thought...when was she wormed and with what? Lungworms can cause cough/snotty nose, etc.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yup, goats get colds too. Some Vitamin C and time should fix her up. Or just time if you don't have the Vitamin C. :)

8. JoyKelley

Thank you for all the advice, she was fine when I got home and still this morning, she must have sniffed up a piece of beet pulp.