Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been canning for about three years, but this is my first try at making pickles. I just never had enough cucumbers from the garden, and never found a good deal on fresh produce elsewhere. My haul from the garden worked out to a perfect 7 pints of hamburger dills from the Blue Book. I can't wait to try them!

Here they are, along with the 5 pints of tomatoes I canned yesterday. I have very hard water so there's white stuff all over them -- haven't rinsed them off yet, they're still cooling but they all "plinked"! :D

Shredded zucchini and onions are in the fridge right now, salted, getting ready for a batch of relish. :dance:

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I can hear them....ping...ping...ping.The jars are so pretty. I am trying a new recipe this year I found at a blog site, called Shaker Pickles. They stay out on the counter in a big glass jar, you add different ingredients, and shake, shake,shake. I am anxious to try them out, it is an interesting recipe..first salt water, then alum water, then apple cider, next will be sugar and spices.Mine will be sweet pickles. I love lime pickles, too.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
I won't tell if you won't.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Edayna, I'm so proud of you. Garlic dills is my thing. I just need to learn now to grow them first.

I take stadard dill pickles and mix them with fresh garlic to make a super strong garlic dill pickle relish. I've never tasted anything bottled as good as my fresh relish is...I want to work on that.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
edayna said:
Sorry, bad joke...The subject can be read as a declaration or confession depending on your outlook...And the fact that I'm sleep deprived...I went with it in a moment of weakness. lol

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UGH!!!!!! My pickles are disgusting! All mushy....what a waste. Well, live and learn. I swear, I followed the Blue Book recipe to the letter. Next time I use all those cukes, I'm going to ask advice HERE first. Grape leaves? Pickle Crisp? A pre-made pickle seasoning mix? :Bawling:

I finished up the batch of zucchini relish I'd started last night, you know, it had to sit overnight in the fridge with salt. Five pints. At least I know THAT turned out okay, I've made it before.

But I won't give up. The cukes are still in full swing out in the garden, and I will yet make some good pickles.

Next canning project -- salsa! Anyone got a good recommendation? Is the Blue Book recipe any good? I like it HOT! All I have are jalapenos. No cilantro please.

Can I feed mushy pickles to the chickens? They're getting ready to lay in about a month -- will the eggs taste like dill? :p

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Did you soak them in lime for 12-24 hours first? That makes them crisp. I have not tried the pickle crisp but have heard that it works. I have mine soaking in lime right now and will process them tomorrow sometime.

Sherry in GA

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Cyndi Muller uses pickling lime and has great pickles, but I haven't used that yet because I am t-totally addicted to brined pickles!

I have two batches in the basement right now (finally figured out how many cucumbers are enough to plant!), and they smell and taste HEAVENLY! In fact, I was munching on one as I read this thread. :D

Directions are on page 44 of my Ball Blue Book, but it's not the latest edition. Yours may be on a different page. So little effort, such a huge payoff!

BTW, I do not boil my brine and reuse it. Vinegar and spices are cheap enough that I just mix up some extra brine to pour into the jars. There's always room in my fridge for pickles, so I don't heat process them, either. It makes the pickles mushy. :( But they last a good long time in the fridge, as long as you hide a few jars in the back where husband and offspring cannot find them. ;)

I know your pickles turned out mushy, but a couple thoughts come to mind. First, you are supposed to wait a week or two before trying them. Second, if you wait and they are still mushy, DON'T THROW OUT YOUR MUSHY PICKLES!

You can make a lovely pickle soup!

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/soupkitchen/dill-pickle-soup.htm
Dill Pickle Soup

8 cup chicken stock or broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 med. carrots, coarsely grated
2 cup potatoes, cubed
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
5 lg. dill pickles, grated
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. flour
1 egg
5 Tbsp. sour cream

In large pot combine stock bouillon cubes, carrots, potatoes and celery. Cook about 10 minutes or just until potatoes are soft. DO NOT OVER COOK.

Add grated dill pickles. Continue cooking about 15 minutes more.

In small bowl, beat milk and flour Stir until smooth. Add a small amount of the hot broth. Stir in and then add mixture to soup stirring well.

Bring soup to boil stirring often until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

Beat egg and sour cream. Add to soup, stir until smooth. Keep soup warm, but do not allow to boil.

Season as desired with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley or fresh dill, if desired. A different soup, but good to make on a wintery day.

Mmmm-good!

Pony!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Congratulations edayna….the jars look beautiful…Isn’t it such a joy to see all those different colored jars lined up on a shelve knowing you canned them yourself…

Pickles and relishes are my forte …I’ve canned 12 gallons of refrigerator garlic/dill pickles, 1 gallon of easy Bread and Butters that you keep in the fridge…a batch of regular bread and butters. A batch of Chop Sueys….a batch of sweet pickle relish…

GG….can you place post your recipe for Shaker Pickles…

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
vickiesmom said:
I had wanted to try canning a while back and never got around to it...I couldn't find much canning equipment around here anyway...just the jars.

It's odd, isn't it? The closer you get to The City around here, the harder it is to find canning supplies. When I was out at Muller's Farm over the weekend, there was a huge variety of supplies, including pickling lime. Ask for that around here (120 miles closer to Chicago) and people look at you like you have lobsters coming out of your ears.

But they have the Yuppie Kitschy Kanning Kits, for making Kute-sy Krafty Klaptrap. :rolleyes:

Pony!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
vickiesmom said:
Exactly...and those dumb ribbons to put on the jars...I've never seen canned goods with ribbons on it unless it is a gift. I want to do real canning this winter...but I will have to go about ninety miles from where I sit to find supplies... :grump:

Don't know where you're located, but Nick and I will often drive out to Farm and Fleet (one of our favorite dates!) to get supplies. We're going out there tonight to get another rabbit cage and some other accessories.

BTW -- totally off topic, but your link in your sig says that the site doesn't exist. Kind of like canning supplies in metropolitan areas... ;)

Pony!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts