I love poison ivy!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gardenwitch, Jun 22, 2006.

1. gardenwitch

gardenwitch Well-Known Member

I just wanted to pop in and say that I love poison Ivy!!!

We have it all over our property, DH is VERY sensitive to it...Has it all over his neck and feet right now. Wakes him up in the middle of the night. For some reason, I touch it, and rip it out, but haven't gotten any rashes from it...

So this morning as I was letting the chickens out, near the most recent spot he must have touched the ivy, He said; "You know, we really have to figure out how to get rid of this stuff. I can't stand it anymore! You can't burn it...What do you think we can do?"

Me; "Well, you know, goats eat that stuff! We can put up temp fencing around different areas, and have them take care of an area at a time."

He actually agreed!!! After he asked about what you do with them in the winter time, and how you fence them in. We have no money right now, so he said as soon as we get our finances in order, we can do it!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

Of course, I just found someone with Pygmy babies......I love babies....

Can any of you give me hints to inexpensive, or next to free fencing? We have A LOT of area to cover, but I could just do sections, but I would think they would be more happy with a larger area? Less likely to escape? There is trees everywhere. It's not just open. Oh wait, I'll show you:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=r6g5md8gvxh3&style=o&lvl=2&scene=1418869

Right where it kinda "Y's" off of the driveway, some of those trees are down now because the chicken coop it there.

I also found someone needing to get rid of piglets!! They can remove all the stumps and weed trees!! Can pigs go with goats?

Please help me with advice on how to get my dream soon!!!

Of course that would also mean a LGD, we have a lot of coyotes out here, and fox......Hmmmmm.....
    :hobbyhors :hobbyhors :dance:

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Just because you don't react to it now doesn't mean that you might not in the future. I used to pull the stuff up bare handed myself. Then I turned twenty five and happened to brush up against some one day and it nearly ate me alive. As I knew I wasn't reactive to poison ivy it took me the longest time to figure out what the real problem was. At first I thought I'd developed some sort of horrible skin infection. I've been reactive ever since.

.....Alan.

3. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been thinking about buying a small dog run (10x10x6) that comes in panels and using it to move the goats around to eat the poison ivy, but I haven't actually tried it yet. It would be $200-$300 around here. right now they do a beautiful job of clearing their fence line though, and if I work in the woods I just lead them out and tie them to a nearby tree. however, DO NOT leave them tied anywhere - the could strangle themselves.

4. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Yay! I'm with ya sister :dance:
    Feel sorry for your hubby, though. I understand what Alan is talking about. My daughter developed allergies to dogs and cats. She was fine with them and then it just happened one day. I guess you never know. When we purchased our goats, however, she could sleep with them and never have any problems. That began my love for goats right there. I was so happy for her, because she really loves animals. The only hard part for me is having to sell any of them.

Well, if it gets yer goats, then I'm happy for you :)
    Don't know about the pig thing. I only have one pig and I keep her seperate because she makes wallows wherever she goes. I don't think my goats would like that too much. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you,
    Malissa

5. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

Look when you are driving around. If you see a place with an old fence or dog kennel that looks like it's not in use stop and ask if they would be willing to sell it. A lot of the time if you will haul it off the property they will give it to you around here.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I have pigs and goats and I wouldn't put them together unless it was in a very huge (acres) pastured area, and even then I would worry about thier kids as I heard pigs do like to eat them on occasion. Pigs will root up everything in sight and you will have a mess before too long.

For fencing I use electric - even for temporary (Like a couple of weeks) fencing. It's a pain to move. But I have also seen cattle panels - that would put you back about $100 + cost of posts, but much easier to move about. I've also used pallets in a pinch - but they are not for moving!

For pigs I use electric or hog panels.

kids

7. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Using poison ivy to get something you want is like putting on the devil's pants to go to church.

That plant is evil.

8. SherrieT

SherrieT State of Confusion

Ditto on the delayed reaction. Played with it all the time...a real picnic showstopper :) But as soon as I hit 35...BAM, the worst case of rash you've ever seen.

Congrats on the goat plans. I hope to have some by next spring

9. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Okay, this is going to sound weird, but it works and it is free. When you are out driving around, look for the wooden pallets that you see behind businesses. Most of them will give them to you for free. Wire them together and attach them to a post of some sort every so many feet and you have a fence that costs almost nothing. You can make all kinds of stuff with pallets!! Fencing, milk stand, rabbit hutch.....

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

My daughter gave a name for us PourFolkes - We belong to the PLC! The Pallet Lovers Club, LOL! I love my pallets. My hubby is obsessed with getting them.

We have made a milking stand with a pallet, a fence, a pokey for the pigs (a place to be measured and get shots), a rabbit hutch, soon to be buck house. And we burn them too. The only thing that stinks about burning them is they burn fast (but HOT) and the nails are a pain!

Fellow member of the PLC,
    kids

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Since your husband is sensitive to it, you should NOT be pulling it with your bare hands. The oils do not wash off readily, and he can get it from YOU just by you touching him. (Ask me how I know. :rolleyes: )
    mary

12. gardenwitch

gardenwitch Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I am a member of the PLC too! I get any that I see. The only problem with them is, my DH doesn't want the back to look junky. So I wont be using them for a fence as I was planning, but I will try to use them for the pygmys shelter (If I get the pygmy's, I hope!!) Since we don't have anymore buildings for them.

What can get Pygmy's? We have racoons, possum, Cyoytes, and fox. I'm sure the last 2 can...

Yes, I heard the thing about eventually you will become sensitive to Poison ivy. I hope it takes a long time for me!! I have it everywhere!

13. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Just want to add that once the animals are in the poison ivy/oak, they carry the oils on their hair, and you dh can also get it from them. You'll need to do the handling of the animals.

Much as I love my goats, I recommend an herbicide, like Roundup (I used a generic which worked fine), at least for smaller areas, or up close to the house.

mary