I love my new toilet!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

While I was in Maine visiting my mom a few weeks ago, my WONDERFUL hubby installed a sawdust toilet!

We had been having trouble with the other toilet for like 5 years. I'd been after him (no, I wouldn't nag... BWAHAHAHA) for that length of time to get a sawdust toilet. He finally made one!

It's just wonderful! Less maintenance than the other one & not near as stinky! WAHOO!!! :rock:

2. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Happy for you. :)
    We have standard septic, but I think I'd be as happy with sawdust.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We have both city sewer and sawdust.

I like the sawdust. Always feel like I'm doing the right thing when I do my thing. ;)

Pony!

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................Since we are posting about ComPosting , do you save the Knots out of the holes since they might have alittle extra "sticky" on'em when using 2x4(s) , etc . for TP . :p :viking: :rock: :happy: , fordy.. :D

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

There are just soooo many levels on which this is wrong! :help:

Dawndra, I have a hunch, unlike a new car, you wont be letting everyone take a spin to try it out. If you do, I'd selectively chose the vegan anorexics.

And, for the record, ignorance is bliss,and I wont get back the last five minues of my life. I was very happy and content thinking 'sawdust' was a brand name, like Kholer. :cool:

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

LOL. Glad you are enjoying sitting on the throne. Reminded me of when we had an outdoor privy. We were lucky, we had a two seater. My cousins would come visit and they were citified, so messy. Mom posted a big sign in the privey;

This is like home, treat it like your own, and keep it clean and neat !
    And please be kind, with your behind, and DON'T MESS UP THIS SEAT :)

7. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Must be NICE when you can (bleep) and feel good about it afterwards, like you're "contributing" to the eco-system and the environment.......LOL.

:buds:

8. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

What is a sawdust toilet?

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I thiMk it works kinda like "kitty litter" for people except it has a seat and lid :viking: :happy: :eek: fordy

10. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Oh, please, no... I don't even like to clean the kitty litter! :eek:

11. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

it's a 5 gallon bucket with a box built around it & a hole cut in the top. He put on a regular old toilet seat. there is a hopper next to it with a lid to keep the sawdust in. When you do your doo, you just sprinkle the sawdust over until it covers everything & go about your day. You have to empty it into a compost pile about every 5 days for us...

Very clean. and no, I'm not using a kitty litter scoop or anything like that. You use the composted dirt on your garden for fertilizer. If you go to Carla Emery's talks, she talks about that veryt thing. There is a book "Humanure" don't know the author. It talks about composting toilets.

12. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

13. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Do you have to use special toilet paper??????

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, DH prefers Northern Bath Tissue because the quilting makes it nice and soft... I'm a Charmin fan...

No, j/k -- You don't need "special" t.p. Just any good bun-wrap will do. It all breaks down in the compost cycle.

BTW, I put used paper towels, shredded junk mail, and newspaper into my "regular" compost pile for "browns" (carbonaceous material). Works great.

Pony!

15. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A true Homesteader would use corncobs.

16. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

LOL!!!
    What about the "Sears Roebuck" catalog............................... :cowboy:

17. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

My mom & I were just talking about her using the outhouse when she was a little girl (she's only 52). She said she used to use the tool section first & save the clothes & toys for last... she was sure her brother used the dolls first just to get back at her.

18. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My sister never understood how we can be such clean freaks and poop in a bucket. I love our composting toilet. I can't wait to use it again. And boy is the compost wonderful. :clap:

19. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Only on a homesteading board would you see people talking good things about sawdust bucket toilets.lol

Congratulations on it! I'd have to say it is a better idea than polluting so much water each time...

20. Farmer K

Farmer K Homesteader-@-Heart

I would love to have a composting or a sawdust toilet! Lately we've been having problems with our regular flush toilet. When I have my own place, I don't want one of those water wasting things. Well for now I'll just daydream... :D