Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out last week one morning to find my Nubian doe dying.... she had to bite marks on her udder and a copperhead near her. I killed the snake, but she did not make it :Bawling: She was my only full size dairy goat and my pet also. It is amazing how attached you get to these goats... Anyway, this week, I was looking for a couple of nubian does, and OMG I can't believe what people want for them. Of course, most people have registered stock. I wish I could afford those, but just can't right now. I just want pets and milk... Oh well, I will just wait and I am sure at some point I will find someone who just has dairy goats (whatever kind) that they need a home for. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. I live in Cleveland, Texas, near Houston. I sure miss my girl..... Have a great day all!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had that happen a few years ago... i am so sorry for your loss.. goats are high here too right now, good milk goats lamachas and all (lamachas were the cheapest goat you could buy around here) are going for around $200 at sales and breaders...

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
People are getting smart to the fact that Lamanchas a a great dairy goat. :) $200 is cheap for a *good* milking doe of any breed. Think about what good breeders have in a good milking doe and $200 won't sound that high.
I'm sorry for your loss, pourfolkes

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I completely understand how you feel.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps you can find someone in this forum near you who will be willing to help you out privately with a lower-priced dairy goat.

I'd also suggest you post to the Barter Board, explaining the situation. Many, many folks on HT will help out a fellow homesteader in their vicinity in need, and to heck with profit.

Why not give it a try? Just be sure to post where generally you are located. HT people are helpful folks, generally, and maybe someone can lend a hand.

I'd also suggest you check with your local Humane Society. Many of them in certain regions of the country are being inundated with pet goats needing a home. Maybe there's a milker there for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i am about 60 miles east of austin. i have four nubians for sale. none registered but all look full blood. pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, get this.... I called the local animal shelter to see if they have goats...no answer, so I left a message. They called back and left a message on my voice mail that said... "We do accept goats, however, we do not adopt them out". Soooooo what are they doing with them????? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
15,781 Posts
You COULD tell them you'll act as a foster home. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts