I lost my little boy...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I am typing this through tears. My very favorite goat, Shooting Star, just took his last breath in my arms. I got up this morning and he was just lying there and couldn't get up. I rushed him to the vet and was told he had coccidyosis (spelling), and hookworm. I worm every month as is recommended in our area, and alternate wormers, however, evidently, the wormers that the feed store told me to use do not kill hookworm. He gave me Cydectin and told me to worm him and my other goats every month at 10cc per 100 lbs. of body weight, but to start out by giving 1/2 dose now and 1/2 in a week as it may make them sick if all of the worms die at one time. I came home and dosed my little sweet guy with the meds and wormer and about one hour later, just 15 min. ago, he started kicking. I held him and he just made a tiny noise, looked at me and took his last breath. I am just so beside myself. The funny thing is that if you had told me 5 years ago that I would get all upset over a goat, I would have said you were nuts, but here is sit crying. To make it even worse, I now have no buck to breed my 6 does and no money to get another since I spent $200.00 this morning trying to save my precious little guy. I want to make sure that the dosing he told me is correct for this wormer before I give it to the others. It is the cydectin pour on and has 5 mg of moxidectin/ml. The dose he told me to give was 10cc per 100 pounds of weight. Is this correct? Thanks for listening, letting me vent a bit and for the advice.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

sorry to hear this.

3. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

I'm so sorry about your loss. I know how much it hurts. As for the dosage on the Cydectin, I *might be UNDERDOSING???** but I give it at 1cc per 20 to 25 pounds (which would only be 4 or 5 cc's per hundred) I'm sure someone else will be able to offer you more info.
    again so sorry
    susie

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy, and yes - I understand completely about being so upset over Shooting Star.

Goats are amazing creatures and good friends. It hurts terribly to lose one.

Lynda

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

pourfolkes

So sorry to hear of bad news like that as I was reading your post I started :Bawling: because it is so sad to hear of something like that. I know how you feel because I have lost a few goats and it hurts badly. I will send hugs and prayers your way. Hang in there and do not give up.. Reason I'm saying this is because when I first started out with goats I lost 3 in no time and it hurt really awful and I felt like giving up but I didn't. I not saying you will I just trying to let you know your not alone at this time of sadness. :angel:

6. Egypt Run

Egypt Run Active Member

Judy and I both want you to know we understand how you feel.
    This year we also lost animals to worms. This is the worst year for worms we have ever seen.

Steve

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you lost your goat. :-(

Your question about Cydectin: I have never seen that high a dosage given before. Everything I have ever read says 1 cc every 22 or 25 lbs. Also, don't give it every month if they don't need it. Either go by fecals or check their eyelid color. Using it every month is why wormers stop working. Cydectin is one of the "big guns". If you use it like this, every month and such high dosages, it will stop working too. You really should worm on an as needed basis, not by the calendar.

8. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I'm so very sorry you lost your boy. (((((((HUGS))))))) I feel so bad for you.

I have a wether who I'm very attached to, would never have thought I could get so attached to a goat either but it happened.

Maybe you could work out a deal with someone who has a buck, trade breedings for kids back.

9. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Hi,

Why don't you post the state you live in and the breed you are working with and maybe someone on the list could help you out.

Lynn in Mesa County, CO

10. pourfolkes

I live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Shooting Star was one of the most beautiful Nubian bucks I have ever seen, I got him when he was only 1 day old. Oh my, I swear I am going to short out my keyboard. This has been the worst year for me ever since Katrina. My half built home was destroyed and since it was not livable, there was no insurance, so we are living in a camper, trying to rebuild as we can. I lost ALL of my livestock then and I have been trying to recover ever since. On top of all of that, I was hospitalized a month ago with kidney stones, huge ones that have to be blasted. One down, 7 to go. I still feel blessed, my family was safe from the storm, and I try so very hard to be a positive person and I usually am. This just was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back if you know what I mean. So, yes, if there is anyone that has a nubian buck or a nigerian dwarf buck of breeding age to spare, that would be great, but if not, then I understand. I will pick myself up, dust myself off and persevere. I so appreciate the thoughts and prayers. Thank you for letting me whine a bit. I know things will get better, God is with me and I know there is a reason for these things happening and even though this was almost too much to bear, I know HE will give me strength to get through this and send me a blessing in some form. I agree with the dose of Cydectin, and I am going to dose at 1cc per 25 pounds... Sorry this was so long...

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry you lost your goat. I know it is hard to lose any animals we love. They become family. Did you pour on the Cydectin or give it orally? I've never used it, myself, but have read on one of these boards that the pour on is given orally to goats or it may kill them. Since your goat was already down, I'm wondering if he had something else wrong with him that the vet missed. Sounds like you had a hard year. I wish you lived closer to me. I have a Nubian buck I plan to sell and would be willing to work out payments. I live in Montana. I hope things start going better for you.

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am SO sorry about your little boy. I hope and pray that things start to go better for you, although it will be a long time before the horror of your lose goes away, and even then it will still be there. One of our little girls died in my arms not too long ago, the neighbors dog got her. It really stinks, I hope that you feel better soon. ((Big cyber hugs)) Good Luck. Bye.

13. pourfolkes

Well, I got up this morning and went out to say hello to all of my goaties... it was not until I got out there that I realized that Shooting Star was gone... geez.. this is just terrible. It made me cry all over again.. Well, maybe I can find a breeding buck soon that is really inexpensive and near me. Then at least in Jan. or Feb. maybe I will have some babies to love and that will help to fill the void I am feeling. Sure hope I find one soon though, I am about to not have access to a truck..... lol They say things come in 3s...well someoone is not going to get any cuz I got their share...lol

14. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am so sorry about all that you have gone through. I have not ever lost a goat YET, but I know it is going to happen and sooner then I want. I have a 13 year old that I know will die of a broken heart when I don't breed her this year. I have lost lots of other animals in my life time though. I hope you can look at the bright side. He was in Heaven here on earth with you. :p Hugs from CO. :grouphug:

15. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I rushed him to the vet and was told he had coccidyosis (spelling), and hookworm. I worm every month as is recommended in our area, and alternate wormers, however, evidently, the wormers that the feed store told me to use do not kill hookworm.

Cocci and worms are a constant where you live, and your feed store sadly in helping you helped in doing nothing more than killing your kid. Your other goats are very lucky they are alive. Cocci kills kids quickly, without one day of diarrhea, worms kill goats everyday, read the boards. Switching wormers, using wormers that don't work, never fecal sampling means you are guessing if something is working, and a vet who calls haemouncous hook worm? By chance is he a dog vet :) Yes move to Cydectin. I use 1cc per 25 pounds here, it works, on fecal very well, give it orally. You might want to use it on everyone, do it again in 10 days, and yet again in 10 days, this gets all lifecycles of adult blood sucking worms. Also use a cocci med (a sulfa or Corid) as prevention. You want to prevent problems in your goats to give them the best chance to grow and thrive.

I do have a young March buckling, he is out of a 90 appraised 3 year old (now 4) in my herd, he is out of my best buck. He has a full dance card for September, I am using him in October, he will be up for sale on September first if you want to make the trip over. Email me privately if you want more info, pics of his dam etc.. Purebred Nubian, already registered. He will be out of his mind in rut, smell like the blazes, but he is a beautiful guy. Lots of references on this board and dairygoatplus.com Just ask... Vicki McGaugh 281-592-3039

HMMMMM, why does it say I amy NOT post attachments???

16. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you live so far from us. I have a NDG buck I am not using this year. It's always that way! I hope things improve for you. I really admire anyone who spends all their $$ on a vet to try to save their animal.

Lynn in Mesa County, CO

17. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your little guy. :Bawling:

I would like to say, take Vicki up on her offer. Go see the buckling that she has, visit her place, look at her animals. I have a buckling and doeling that I got from her last year and they are wonderful additions to my herd. Also, when your there, learn all you can from her. She has been in goats for a long time, which means that she can help to avoid some problems in the future. Her animals are wonderful, healthy, well cared for. And, she has always answered any question that I have had with an honest answer.

18. CountryFolks

CountryFolks Well-Known Member

:confused: :( :badmood: when stuff happens in our family it also happens in 3 too.i'm glad that we are not the only family to have bad stuff happen in 3's :Bawling: here is a little angel to keep your little guy company up in heaven :angel: