I Learned The Hard Way

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tome, Apr 10, 2005.

1. tome

tome Active Member

I have forty acres and I had six acres surveyed off with my house to free up the other 34 acres. I dug a post hole at one of the corners so I could fence the six acres in, well it rained and I didn't get to set the post. Today I noticed my goats at the post hole site, I went to investigate and one of my two month old goats had fallen head first into the hole and drowned in the water. Sure wish I had been thinking. Maybe someone on here can benefit from my mistake.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

First, let me offer my sympathy. It must be very dissapointing and hard for you.

Second, thank you for posting this. It never would have occured to me. I hope others can learn too.

3. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Durn, that's harsh. The "I'd do it all different next time" or "this sure turned out wrong" kind of posts tend to stick with me and add to the common knowledge here. Thanks for posting and sorry about that kid.

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Live and learn doles out some unsavory moments in our lives. Thanks for posting and I'm so sorry about your kid. I feel for you. I hope you don't keep kicking yourself and move on quickly.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you lost the kid, but glad you posted your experience for others to see. We had a newborn kid fall in a posthole once. Mama kidded in the backyard, rather than in the pasture where she was supposed to be. I looked out a window and saw her acting frantic, knew she was due, didn't see any new babies, so went out looking. It took over an hour before we finally found her little buck in one of the postholes we'd been digging for footings for a new barn. Thankfully, the hole was dry, and the baby was fine once we got him out.

Kathleen

6. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

That's a real piece of hard luck! If it's any consolation, we lost a beautiful Oberhasli buck when my DH rented a trencher to run water lines to automatic waterers in different paddocks all over our 32 acres. It took some time to get all the lines laid and the trenches filled back in. One day the buck was missing, and I found that he had gotten into an area with a deep trench, fell in, and in trying to get out, threw himself over backwards. The trenches were about 4' deep and only about 18" wide, so of course, I found him feet up and stiff as a board.

It's a miracle my childen grew up healthy, happy, unharmed and well-adjusted -- the farm seems to be a place with all kinds of unsuspected death-traps hidden around it!

Susan

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i am sorry for you loss, thank you for sharing it with us to keep us remidned of such things ....

8. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

My dad had something similar to that happen this past year. One of his kids got in a hole under a board laying on the ground. It wasn't even a few hours old. He never thought it could happen, but he immediately filled all the holes in he could find. Such a helpful thing for you to tell everyone about. It is something you just don't think will happen. Sorry for your loss.

9. Diana/KY

Diana/KY Well-Known Member

If there's a hole somewhere, believe me, a kid will find it. A few years ago we had a pregnant doe locked in a stall all bedded down with straw and ready for her when she would kid. Of course, she kidded middle of the day when we were at work and school and one of the kids managed to roll or crawl through a tiny little slit under the stall door. That kid was freezing and screaming it's head off by the time I got home. I caught it and the mother would have nothing to do with it. I don't think she had even got it cleaned up completely before it got out since it was still a bit wet with birthing fluids. The kid died. I guess it was too far gone before I could get to it to help it. Since that lesson I am fanatical about making sure there are no holes or cracks for tiny kids to get through. We also had a kid crawl under a mowing deck that goes on a tractor in our barn. It got wedged at the other end and if it hadn't been screaming it's head off I'd have never found it. Whenever we dig fence holes and can't get to them right away we put something down in them or cover them until we can get them filled. So very sorry for your loss. I know it makes you feel just horrible when something like this happens.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Thanks for the heads up and it's such a shame about your kid goat. Kids are just too precious to lose and I know how it hurts. A friend of mine had a mare that foaled while she was at work and she found the foal drowned in the water trough. The foal was still in the birth sac. I was horrified of the same thing happening to my goat babies so I lowered the level of water in my water troughs in my goat pens so that if a curious baby hopped in, they would not be in too deep of water. My babies are also getting out of the field fencing (I still am not set up right around here!) but fortunately my Great Pyrenees dogs are bonded with the babies and don't hurt them (they patrol the outside of the pens as they guard the baby calves in the pasture too. I worry that my Australian Shepherd will get the kids though as she will chase and herd anything that runs. The babies stay in the goat areas unless they see one of use humans then they go through the field fencing to come to us. I have never caught one out of the pen yet...they just go through when we are coming up to them....I think! Thank goodness they are growing fast. I check them over and over, I have 7 healthy babies from 4 does (5 does, 2 bucks) and no losses and am so afraid my luck has been too good. Here's praying for continued blessings in Texas....Diane

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

be careful when pouring concrete to set poles for barns or permanent fences....kids will lick at and nibble stuff......causes an ugly, painful death....i didn't know what had happened until i insisted she be opened so i could see, because she ate just wonderful that am, and died right after noon :( so, keep them far away from that stuff, too. he had just poured it in and left it....

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

okgoatgal2, thank you for posting that. It would never have occurred to me to think of the goats eating fresh concrete -- but they do taste everything.

Kathleen