I Know This Is Going To Cause Trouble

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 21, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok the last year my neighbore has been messing with me.I told him years ago I put Fence up along my property,backed it off in his favor.

Well today put several Post up right on the Line which is 10 yards further in.

Ok since I've went this far.Should I go ahead and follow through,put Signs up making it obvious that they are directed at him?

big rockpile

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Its your property Fence it as you see fit. If hedoesn't like it to bad. And if you want to put up signs go ahead.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sure! :stirpot: Sorry just looking for a reason to us that smiley. :D

Wait what would the signs say? :eek: No Trespassing i presume?

4. big rockpile

I could just put on there ," Remember The Promise".Refering to what I would do to him if he messed with me. :rolleyes:

Yea probably,"No Trespassing".

big rockpile

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought 2 metal signs that read" No Trespassing Violators will be shot surviors will be shot again".I posted them on my barn.

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a bit hard to read your message rockpile. I take it you put some posts up right on the property line, which is 10 yards further in towards his side from the current fence. Is that right?

Well, if your intent is to upset the neighbors, put signs up specifically directed at him. Don't know if you'll like the results, but you can certainly succeed.

If you are planning to re-locate the fence onto the property line now, just check your laws as some areas prohibit this, and remember that he'll probably pop you for criminal tresspass when you attempt to work on the fence.

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I think the mistake was giving him ten yards of land whenever that first fence was build. Ten inches would have been generous. If he's had the use of that stretch for years, you may have given it to him.....according to fence law in your area. Check with a lawyer before moving it back to the property line.

8. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

The area between is called "dead man's land" according to oldtimers-this was done when two neighbors couldnt get along--he would also build his fence back 20 feet from property line- thus the term.
    but-- i think the law has changed, Rock, best to check on that before you DO give the 10 feet to him. also--standing in the middle of your property, facing your land--whats on your right is yours to fix--whats on your left is his to fix, this dispute was what led many to create a no-man--or dead mans land between.

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I also am not able to distinguish the true meaning of the post Rock. Are you saying you put the original fence, with his permission, 10 yards inside the line on your side, thereby giving him an extra 30 feet of land to use. And that now he wants the fence put exactly on the property line thereby giving you back the 10 yards? If so, what is the problem? sis

10. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Fencing laws and laws concerning access on neighboring land to work on fences will vary from one location to another, check your state laws.

In Missouri, what ceresone says is right concerning standing in the middle of fencline on your property and facing out, the fence to you right is yours to maintain...but we just work with our neighbors on the whole stretch behind and on each side of us to keep the fences up.

I totally disagree with ever moving a fence more than a few inches ( at most ) back from a property line. If you move it back ten feet, and your neighbor doesn't build a fence on the line, then if he is grazing cattle or whatever he will be using land that you own ( or are buying ) and that you are paying taxes on.

I put our fences on the property line and don't worry about mowing the other side..the folks on the other side can take care of mowing it if they are worried about it. If they let it grow up into weeds and thorn bushes, that's their business, I just trim back what I need to when I work on the fence as needed.

11. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We had some very serious issues with one of our neighbors....so much so that the law was involved several times and the police felt we were in danger. (long story) Anyhow, we were told that we should not put the fence on the line but two feet in so we did not "share" the fence. BUT, unless we wanted him to eventually claim the two feet, we should maintain it by spraying a couple of times a year so that nothing was growing on it that needed mowing. This was advice by the judge who handled the whole thing. I do believe the law varies from state to state, but here in Michigan if you don't maintain the property between the fence and the line and the neighbor does, he can claim it after a certain amount of years.

12. RosewoodfarmVA

RosewoodfarmVA Well-Known Member

A word of caution here...In my experience signs on a prop. line have never mended relationships. A good fence ON the line will. You see, a fence means you are utilizing your property, a sign is meant to be offensive to whoever reads it. Sure if he tresspasses all the time or hunts on your side or whatever, put the signs up, but as long as he knows where the line is and not to cross it, I would recommend no signs, as this will prevent your relationship with him from worsening. If you ever want to be friends with him, signs won't help. Nathan

PS Yes there are times when signs are necessary, I just don't think they help relationship-building any.

13. big rockpile

Well I got property across the road that I had surveyed and Posted it.Here we can use Purple Paint to Post land.

He comes up to the House wanting to know what the meaning of Posting it was? I told him it ment for him to keep out.

In Missouri we don't have to have Fence.If the Neighbor needs one up and you don't.Its his cost.

I don't care to be friends with this Guy.He thinks I'm Crazy and I just soon keep it that way :shrug: When I first bought this place he was using the Logging Road that runs through the middle,and was Camping on my place I run him off.He is just trying to get me mad so I will sell out.

Right now I'm waiting on a Phone Call from a Guy that should know on these things.

big rockpile

14. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

Just talk to him face to face. Dont use signs or things like that. Just tell him whats on your mind (well be nice) And then go from there. Make sure without a doubt he understands that this is your line and this is his line....
    Hope it works out for ya

15. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Rockpile,

Based on posts in previous threads I'm sure you would be ok with his hunting dogs crossing your property line...correct?

16. big rockpile

If their causing problems I'll do like I have in the past.Go tell them.If they tell me to shoot them I'll tell them to do it I won't.I had one neighbor tell me to shoot their Dog.I told them I wouldn't.Then they get mad at me when somebody else does. :shrug:

big rockpile

17. big rockpile

Thing is I probably won't see him again until next Fall.Maybe I'll get things lined out by that time.

big rockpile

18. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

get yourself some 3 foot lenghs of 3/4 or 1inch galvanised pipe , a can of orange marking paint make that 3 or 4 and a roll of marking ribon bang in the pipe right on the corners leaving about 4 to 6 inches out spray it orange put a 1x1 inch wood stake in right next to it then spray that orange put a ribbon of tape on it hang the orange tape any where there is a branch to tie it to in 50 yard increments between the corners then get out your mason string and run the distance from corner to corner and put in some new T posts every 50 yards and spray them orange

also cut any brush that would affect the survey lasers path you know the one you don't have .
    by the time you finish with this it will look just like a very profesional survey job and next year those T posts the surveyor put in will be very handy to hang the new sings on

i is obviosly best if you either don't get seen by your neighbor while doing this or dress up like a surveryor maybe get a freind to help.

19. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

how can one neighbor clam THE property line as his....is it not both?....how could one neighber have more right to run a fence ON THE LINE than another?

20. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Rock, you mentioning the purple posting paint brought a thought to mind. our "new" neighbors (since lost the place), asked about our purple posting, i explained carefully, the law on it--what did he do? promptly bought BLUE spray paint, and painted the tops of all his steel reflective posts! some people you just cant teach?