I know it's summer but. Hows the wood shed?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stanb999, Jul 10, 2006.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I Just finished up with the last of it (10 cords). How are you's doin.

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

3/4 of what I need for winter and 8 more face cords supposed to be delievered Sunday.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We're cutting up and bringing in all the deadfalls from last October's big, heavy snowstorm.
    We'll be splitting and stacking them soon.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Not near as well you's. Got about five of the fourteen I should have on hand. Still need to split and stack what's there.

5. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

No woodlot :help: so I just ordered a pulp truck load, no charge for delivery. In cent WI for $75 a pulp cord.

6. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I have about 3 cords (3' lengths) stacked but not cut into 12" pieces yet. Have lots of trees to cut up this winter as part of my managed woodlot plan. Chris

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

We finished cutting and stacking ours back in March...YIPPEE!!!!

8. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I only use half a cord in my fireplace, but this might be the year I get a proper wood stove. I have half a cord on the back patio in the sun and under a bit of roof and it is already very dry. Very easy to have dry firewood when you only use a little. What I use I just gather from wind fall and such, including last years Christmas Tree which I always like to burn on the Winter Solstice of the next year.

I have heard that in addition to the winter a good time to cut wood is in the late summer. If you wait for the leave to dry up before limbing it this will help dry it out. I think this is an OK way to do certain hardwoods, especially if to small in diameter to be worth splitting. White birch goes punky very quickly here with the bark on it and we have such a wet spring and such a dry late summer and so it might work better than winter cut if it is too small to be worth splitting.

Has anyone else cut wood in late summer and then limbed it after the leaves dry up?

9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I'd say about half of it is piled--------the other half is waiting to be pulled out of the woods.

After 37 years of marriage, I'm still totally amazed at DH's dedication to "making wood"----even on the hottest days of summer.

It has always been our primary source of heat.....and thankfully our 40 acre woodlot has always provided us with all that we've needed.

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

25% in the shed. that is actually good for me. i have about 1 cord of oak waiting to be hauled in and it will take until january to be burnable. i have a bunch of seasoned logs down if i can find a way to get to them. i only have a two wheel drive truck and the old 1946 farmall tricycle needs an overhaul. i have plenty of black locust that will get cut and i can haul in. it should not take too long to dry...you can almost burn it green. i also am usually able to find a few standing dead oaks in the fall so i should be ok. once the loggers go through and leave me some roads, i should be able to drive the 2 wheel drive ford to the downed stuff.

11. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

We have very little. We don't cut until late in the fall, when it's no longer 90 degrees in the evening... phew, it's hot here.

We burn one wood heater, and have 3 chimneys, that we seldom use. We usually have plenty to cut on this place, and own some other property as well. We take out deadfall, bad placements etc.

12. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

I will be cutting all summer, I'm thinning the ash out of what will be my sugarbush. Also a little cherry. It'll burn this winter, no doubt about it!

How bad off is the Farmall, they are pretty cheap/easy to repair, got a few dozen of them myself. No, I am not kidding, they are all over the place here. :)

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We've got two cords stacked by the shed.

But we don't have a WOOD SHED and that's what we're doing now. You know, we are taking down a neighbors log cabin to use parts for an addition to our log cabin.

So, we took the roof off their garage, just cut some logs and pulled on the corners one a time and down the roof came. I was planning on skidding back to our place a mile a way. But, have revised our plan: now we will disassemble and carry back on the wagon. It was just to heavy, awkward, and delicate for our small tractor.

[​IMG]
    This is where the garage was. We took out the wall to the living room to use the logs for our addition, along with some longer purlins.

[​IMG]
    This is the roof I am getting set up to skid. We will disassemble and take back the roof boards and trusses separately. OH well -- it's OK. Anyway, this WILL BE our wood shed one day.

Then we will reconstruct with some of the corners and, then fill it up with wood. We have enough wood for awhile.

Hey, it rained today, first time in months, heat wave here. But, we like Katie the cookstove for heat today. That was fun, right after a week of 85 to 93 F.

Alex

14. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I've got this winters supply cut, split and stacked, and about three more winters worth bucked up and ready for the splitter. I'll split that this winter, then hire a kid to stack it for me.

Pete

[​IMG]

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby is slowly building ours up each week. After the tornado we had a month or so back we're in good shape...lots of downed trees to see us through, plus he just cut down a big elm that died this Spring.

16. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I have 1/2 a cord. I will get to that as soon as I get the fence finished and garden planted.

17. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I wont get started until September or so when it cools down a bit. I have plenty of down wood, so not worried about seasoning. Sweating in 90+ degree heat cutting wood, caked on saw dust and fighting insects.....I just cant be bothered. But I do love it when its cool out.

18. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I have 1 cord stacked. A 100 year old oak came down on a fence. The oak is cut, but still needs to be split and stacked. Still have to get the fence back up. Have some cedar down too so it'll become firewood.

19. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We burn about three chords a year and we keep two years ahead. Cut it in March and stack it outside. The stuff we burn this year will go into the barn about the end of August.

20. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i'm thinking we have about 3/4 of what we need for next winter--that being about 12 cords. there has been so much pine bark beetle kill around here that dead wood is a constant and easy to obtain. but sure leaves the forest looking brown!