Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the computer has plenty of kick to operate it with no problems, but I haven't a clue as to how to do it!

A:I had an E-Machine that bought the farm due to something stupid I did while cleaning it!

B: I bought a new HP Pavilion, with all kinds of bells and whistles... and it works beautifully (except for the stinking O/S, Vista Home-Premium, which I'm having a rough time figuring out... to say the least).

C: I want to install the old hard-drive into the new system, without formatting it, and hopefully recover some important files I have on it.

D: When I pull the cover off, the plugs that go into the hard-drives are different than the ones that were in the E-Machine.

E: I am not a computer tech by any sense of the word, but I also know no fear of the little boxes either... which is probably how I broke the old one (in the dump, so no repair possible)!

F: The most cash I can put out for this effort is less than $50, which isn't enough to get a real tech to even open the door so I could bring it in!

Can anyone help me here... I've had the new system for about two months and I now really need some of my old files... they are part of my book on this hard-drive and I can't go forward without them!

Thanks guys,
Wing

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
For most folks, an "external USB drive enclosure" is a great/affordable way to read data off of old disks.

Basically, you purchase the enclosure, install your old hard drive into it, and then it just plugs into the USB port of your new computer. Cost is less than $20.

The advantage of this is :
- the USB drive is portable
- the USB drive can be used with any system

I'm guessing that your old drive is an IDE or "ATA" drive - most newer drives are SATA.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Those hard drive enclosures work beautifully! We did that with several of our old hard drives. Look for enclosures with a fan and also a metal frame -- that will protect the hard drive from heat problems. I believe the two enclosures we ordered were about $60.00 with shipping included.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bye-golly I knew you guys wern't just some pretty faces... as a matter of fact that one guy is just flat out... never mind!

Hey! You guys did good! Thanks alot... I've already pulled every file I needed off and even a few I just wanted! You cannot imagine how hard it was for me to know it was there, but also know I was too dumb to know how to get it!

Anyway... thanks again guys!
Wing

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
yup those USB HD boxes are great... plug in, turn on and you got disk.

you probably have sata drives and your old ones had IDE cables and thats where they dont look the same.

if the motherboard has an IDE controler, you could plug a cable in that and run a HD.

but some boards want ot use either/or not both at the same time....

go USB.... its easier, for 50 bucks.

oh you already did... nevermnd
lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts