Homesteading Forum banner

I know I am always bragging about DD but I had to share this

586 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MarleneS 
#1 ·
I am soo proud of her, I could cry!!

I don't know if you do shoeboxes in the US. Basically you fill a shoebox with little gifts and the box gets given to a child without anything at Christmas. My daughter's school (about 230 kids) are on a mission to fill 1000 boxes this Christmas. So they are doing sponsored events next week. I promised my DD that how much I sponsored her would reflect how much work she had put into finding other sponsors - the more people she got, the more I would give her. So she has worked really hard at it. When her Godfather phoned up the other day she asked him and he agreed to sponsor her £5 and he would put it straight in the post.

It arrived today with another £5 for her to buy us both an ice cream. She looked at the money really doubtfully and I said how nice it was of her Godfather to send her some money for a treat. She said "yes, but I think we ought to give that to the shoeboxes as well" When I asked her if she was sure she said "yes, those other children don't have anything so it is more important for them to have it".

I nearly burst into tears on the spot.

sorry to brag again but .......... sometimes you just have to tell someone :)

hoggie

See less See more
#7 ·
that makes sense....

I could theoretically exchange 5 pounds for about $10us.....but that 5 pounds will only buy the equivolent of what $5 buys in the US.....

so moving to the UK would make you poorer your 10 becomes 5....but moving back to the US would make you richer....your 5 is now 10

sooooo when I buy 2 gallons of gas for about $6 it is equivalent to you forking out about 12pounds...right??

Rachel

#9 ·
$9-10 at a money exchanger but it buys the same amount as $5, unless you're buying gas (petrol) then it only buys what $3-$4 buys here.

#11 ·
I have to disagree with the value of the Pound. I have always found that things are 50% more expensive in England mainly due to rediculous levels of taxation.

Gas at $9 a gallon, cigarettes $8 a pack, Value added tax ( state sales tax but federal ) 17.5%. A cheap house is going to cost somewhere around $200K with property tax of about $2500 a year. Road tax on a car ( tags ) is around $360 and don`t forget the television license at $270. Yes you even need a license for the television even if you argue you only watch dvds on it.

I miss England as much as I miss a dose of hemeroids.

#13 ·
pigeonracer2k said:
I have to disagree with the value of the Pound. I have always found that things are 50% more expensive in England mainly due to rediculous levels of taxation.

Gas at $9 a gallon, cigarettes $8 a pack, Value added tax ( state sales tax but federal ) 17.5%. A cheap house is going to cost somewhere around $200K with property tax of about $2500 a year. Road tax on a car ( tags ) is around $360 and don`t forget the television license at $270. Yes you even need a license for the television even if you argue you only watch dvds on it.

I miss England as much as I miss a dose of hemeroids.
psssssst! It's about her daughter. It's nice to see a postive thread about kids.

#14 ·
MaineFarmMom said:
psssssst! It's about her daughter. It's nice to see a postive thread about kids.
You are soooo right....sorry that I drifted the thread.....

I am just amazed.....I may be wrong but I am under the impression that Hoggie's DD is somewhere in the 5-8 age range......and to give up ICE CREAM....for shoebox gifts.....My DD is 6 and I can say with near certainty that she wouldnt think to give up icecream money for a gift for someone else!

you have raised her right

Rachel

#17 ·
Thank you all for allowing me to express my pride - yep - she's a good kid :) . She is 5 yo - will be 6 in Oct. I think she remembers fillling boxes last year and we had a lot of discussion about which age children to fill them for. We did one for a little girl her age and one for a teenage boy - I have a teenage nephew who she worships and when I asked her to imagine that he had NOTHING it really upset her.

Just hope I can guide her properly to nurture those wonderful qualities she is displaying right now

hoggie

ETA - Rose - what a lovely idea to keep a diary. I had never thought of that. I keep millions of photo albums and scrapbooks for her but a diary would be wonderful.

hoggie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.