Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Idealistic realist
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangely enough, we both live in Texas (about 300 miles apart) this week, and we will both be living in New York (about 130 miles apart) next week. :shrug: I asked her to call when she was coming through... she did, and I met the whole gang at the gas station when they stopped in Texarkana, about 2:30pm. She asked me to let everyone know they were fine... I said I'd do one better and post a pic. Here is Jamie with some of her crew.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/rascaldaisytx/100_0684.jpg

Bless her heart, she gave me a copy of her mapped route since I will be traveling in pretty much the same direction 6 days from now. OMG! 6 DAYS!!! I gotta get packing!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Continued safe travels, and from that smile, it looks like a very happy trip so far. Thanks for sharing the story and the pic!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
quntmphscs just called. She made it through Little Rock and is headed my way. Said there'd been some trouble with keeping the pig cool, but other than that all is well.

·
Idealistic realist
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder how many pigs are as well traveled as Rufus will be when he reaches his new home?

·
Registered
762 Posts
wow..traveling pigs..I have trveled across country with several chickens anda buncha cats..but a pig is another story.If you were speeding and a cop stopped you..I,d be afraid the pig would squeal on me.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
It's a potbellied pig, but I suppose it would be considered livestock. They stayed the night with us and the dogs (sweet, well-behaved pups) were able to stay in our backyard. They headed out for Ohio about 7:30 this morning.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Farm animals are often transported back and forth between Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee around here. If there is a law governing it, no one is advertising it. Now, if you try to bring fruit, veggies, or livestock back into the country after travelling abroad, that's a no-no.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Are they stopping again tonight? They are going to be less than a half hour from me! I'm so excited; she and I have been e-mail pals for close to 2 years and it will be such a kick to finally meet. RascalDaisy, I can't wait to meet you, too!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Yes, they were planning on staying in Ohio overnight at a place they can take the pig (Rufus) out so he can stretch his legs and they can clean out the back of the truck. It's going to be a long day and I hope they make it okay. The truck ran hot before they got to Memphis last night so they are going to take it slower today.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Ravenlost said:
Said there'd been some trouble with keeping the pig cool, but other than that all is well.
I LOVE THIS PLACE.

Where else but Homesteading Today would a comment like that be considered normal? :baby04:

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I was supposed to meet her once but decided not to when I found out she had a pig. I was delivering a hog dog pup and had my experienced hog dogs in my car. Not a good idea to start off having my dogs jump from the car and bay up the pig :rolleyes: I'm envious. KS is going thru a heat wave now....I could use a break and travel...she'll be for a big surprise come winter with all that Great Lakes effect snow. I really hate that kind of snow!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
LOL...it never even crossed my mind that there was anything odd with that sentence.

Kinda like when the vet told me to keep Tom (a dog) in an enclosure or small room, like a bathroom and I blurted out, "Well, the bathroom won't work cause the chickens are in there!".

·
Idealistic realist
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Likewise HTDaisy. It seems as if there are lots of HT'ers in that area.

I'm to the point where I'm looking forward to the 2 day drive (4 people and 4 dogs in 1 truck)... just because that means the nightmare of packing and loading will be over.

Where in Ohio are they stopping tonight? I guess we'll hear when they arrive safe and sound.

Here's hoping they keep the pig and the truck cool enough to make the rest of the journey comfortably.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
hey everybody!!! we made it in about 1:30 this morning and were able to go to bed around 3am. The last day was ROUGH let me tell you. I almost lost control of my truck about 40 minutes from out house and the trailer gate fell with the pig on it when we got here. But all is well and I'll tell everyone about it probably tomorrow.

Rascaldaisy was a huge help with a hair clip, my hair was blowing in my eyes and I squinted from Houston to Texarkana. Ravenlost made us THE most yummy dinner and had a bed that felt like sleeping on a cloud. After the worst day ever, HilltopDaisy had the most beautiful welcome basket you have ever seen waiting on the porch for us and we were starving, they were all trip savers!! I can't wait to tell everyone all about it, but the animals are calling.

Got to run, i'll post picture and get all caught up tomorrow. I'm just so happy to be here and all 10 animals are just so happy to be out of the truck and trailer. The pig and cats had the worst of it, but more about all of that later.

Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. Big hug!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts