I just killed a rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

What a "welcome to mountains" moment. I shot a 4-5 foot rattle snake. (11 Rattles). I blew his head off with the shotgun. Does it normally take 30 minutes for the body to die?

The dog was pitching a fit, which got my attention. She seemed smart enough to stay out of striking distance. Do they normally do avoid snakes or should I be concerned that she might attack one?

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

They do twitch around some, but they're really dead, if the head's off :) I usually just chop the head off with a shovel, & then you can carry the severed head away on the shovel for safe disposal. I have some snake skins from several years ago when I skinned some out, but I usually just give them to a guy next door who likes to eat them. Gave him a big fat one the size of yours a couple of weeks ago that I found in my chicken pen at dusk :eek:
    Whether your dog will mess with snakes or not - some have the sense to stay away & some don't; if in doubt, sign her up for one of those rattlesnake avoidance clinics the bird hunters sponsor. They have someone with a de-fanged rattlesnake & a shock collar, & they train the dog to stay away from snakes. Your local vet or dog training club would know how to find one.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........All dogs are different, but once bit they will develop a certain level of immunity , assuming of course that they live thru it. You could always buy some antivenom from your vet and start injecting your dog so it could develop an immunity PRIOR to any possible bite but the shots are VERY pricey from what I understand . I don't know HOW you would train a dog to NOT bite a snake.....i'm sure there are ways........fordy...... :eek: :)

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

So glad you got it! When I lived in NW Alabama my dad shot a timber rattler that had crawled up to the edge of my carport. My daughter's dog got between her and the snake. It was a little over five feet long and the body twitched for quite some time.

I live in NW MS now and one of my dogs was bitten by a water moccasin a couple months ago. He was in the vet hospital for a week...his leg and chest swelled so much his heart was compressed. He's recovered nicely and my husband shot the snake...four foot long moc. UGH...right in our front yard (we have a pond in our front yard).

We try to leave the nonpoisonous snakes alone, but when in doubt or when we know for sure it's a poisonous one we kill them. I have no need for copperhead, rattlers or water moccasins.

As for dogs and snakes...this one stepped right on that moc and was bitten before he ever saw it. The moc got him between his toes and filled him up with venom. The antivenom shot was $60 and he almost didn't survive anyway.

I once had a dog in AL that HATED copperheads. He went looking for them and killed every one he had. Great dog, but all the copperhead venom affected his mind. He went crazy - attacked my ex-husband and ripped his leg all to pieces. Guess he knew my ex was a lowlife snake in the grass, huh?

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Make sure their not protected before you keep any parts.But my Jack Russell will catch them.

big rockpile

6. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

As a child I used to have a dog named Dusty that was a cross between a Basset and a Beagle and was always digging in dirt and such with his nose, thus the name. He got bit by a rattler on his nose, where else?, and did fine. He never did get bit anymore though and could tell where snakes were when walking with Dusty, cause he'd make this yelping sound as he was running in the opposite direction from the snake.

7. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

About 2 years ago a rattlesnake bit my little Pug cross dog, Jessie. I took her to the vet but she died anyway. It bit her somewhere around her neck or ear area. She is the only dog that I have ever had that died from a rattlesnake bite. I think it bit her in a bad spot and she was under 20 lbs.

8. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

When I was in the Army we killed and cooked a rattlesnake it was pretty good just make sure to remove the head before cooking. :eek:

9. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

Here's a copperhead I killed recently. Any snake will continue to live (in the sense that it's liable to be animate, and to bite) for many hours after death. That's why with venomous snakes you want to pick up the head with a shovel and remove it to a place where your kids/pets can't get at it. We had a cat killed by a copperhead, not from the poison, but because the bitten place on his face got infected and it got down into his jaw.

My neighbor told me a great story about her husband killing a rattlesnake, he blew it's head off with a shotgun, and had left it in the kitchen sink (sans head) and he went to pick it up to begin skinning it and it "struck" him. She said he screamed like a little girl :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]

and my biggest chickensnake to date

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=980449

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The lone dissenting voice....
    The only congratulations go to people who appreciate the intricate web of nature before they start to restructure. There's always Decon :no:

11. One packet of Arby's Horsey sauce, two packets of ketchup and a little honey. Mix together and baste on the snake sections while grilling over low coals so that it carmelizes slightly. It almost makes me wish we had some around here.

12. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

We killed a little 30 incher last Summer, and it moved around for hours without its head. My FIL said there is an old legend that rattlesnakes don't die until sundown. It appears to be based, at least partially, in fact.

13. how is decon...a random poisoning better than instant decapitation?

14. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I believe Tango was being sarcastic....and meaning that if you kill the snakes you will be overrun with small rodents, and have to use de-con...which IS much worse than a snake.

15. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are not too far from my place, which is in Athens. I've seen several good-sized snakes, but a couple of months ago I saw the granddaddy of them all. A black coachwhip that was probably 7 ft. long. And FAST! I'm glad I didn't run after it. They strike at your face. :eek:

16. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Now mind, I LIKE snakes, in general - we've lots of gopher snakes, king snakes, garter snakes, glossies, & rosies. But if I find a poisonous snake near the livestock (& that means the house yard too), off with its head! The sheep are fascinated with rattlesnakes (had a ewe abort after being bitten, lucky I didn't lose her too - a friend had a doe w/2 week old twins that was bitten in the chest & died), & while most of the dogs will leave them alone, some see them as a threat & get bitten (big vet bills). One of the neighbor's llamas was bit by a rattler & died gruesomely.

17. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you see a pet get struck, or a person it bitten, a practice with growing antecodial (sp?) evidence is to use a stun gun or cattle prod and shock the bite area several times. Theory is the electical charge crystalizes the venon, allowing it to be slowly absorbed by the body.

At the Hardy's 4th of July gathering one man there said loggers in is area routinely carry stun guns in their equipment box for just this purpose.

Ken Scharabok

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I just saw the post about the legend that says a rattlesnake doesn't die until sundown. When I was growing up in NW Ohio we spent a good deal of time over the years at a lake in Michigan and there were a lot of water snakes. Now, being terrified of snakes, I never had any objection to my buddy cutting the head off of any snake unlucky enough to get too close. He would then drape the headless body over a fence and the tail would continue to wiggle for hours. The legend there was that the tail would continue to move until sundown. I can't argue. It seemed like it was true and as a kid I was pretty gullible. Guess our legend is a cousin of the one about rattlesnakes.

Nomad

19. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

"The only congratulations go to people who appreciate the intricate web of nature before they start to restructure."

How very poetic...forgive me if I value my children's place in the intricate web of nature over that of a copperhead or rattlesnake.

:no:

20. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

"The legend there was that the tail would continue to move until sundown."

Or, at least after sundown you cant see it wiggling anymore :haha: