I just got an awesome job!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BearCreekFarm, Nov 1, 2006.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Driving home from town today I passed a local game hunting club. We drive past it frequently and I have idly considered applying for a PT job there. Today I decided to stop in and see if they needed any help. Introduced myself to one of the owners, who invited me to sit and discuss the matter. By the time I left I had a job! I am very excited because her husband is a very well known dog trainer and hunting guide and she has published a couple of wild game cookbooks. I am looking forward to learning more about hunting and preparing game. And the best part- I start tomorrow, but they are closed for the upcoming 9 day deer season, so I can still deer hunt with DH!
    woo hoo!

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

3. congradulations! What will you be doing? Tiding up after the hunters? Cutting their deer up for them?

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Thats great!! A Dream Job!

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

COngrats!! Talk about being in the right spot at the right time :) Good thing you stopped in! Be sure to tell us how your first day goes :) And what youll be doing :)

6. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the well wishes. First day was great. Now I am off until after our 9-day deer season which starts tomorrow.

This place has a really great vibe, and everyone I have met there so far has been really nice. From what I can tell after one day everyone seems to do a little of everything, as needed. My first task was to cook up a batch of scrambled eggs for breakfast, then I did some dishes, then another employee took me around to the various cabins and houses to do some cleaning. This place is not the Four Seasons, it's a hunting camp, so standards are umm, shall we say, set accordingly, lol. Then it was back to the kitchen to start soup and sandwiches for lunch.

After lunch, I went out with a couple of the other employees to set pheasants, and for a tour of the flight pens and kennels. Then back to the kitchen to make hors d'oeuvre for the hunters using some of the birds they shot. From what the other employees told me that is a typical day. You might start out mowing the grass, finish the day by cleaning game, and in between do everything from cooking to dishes to housecleaning to running errands, etc. There are no designated positions for cooks, dishwashers, housekeepers, etc. Which is really nice because I cannot imagine doing one task (like dishes) all day every day for very long without getting bored. Most of the food served in the restuarant is wild game and one of the owners (the wife) has published some cookbooks and has done a lot of cooking demonstrations at food conventions and on tv cooking shows. The husband is a nationally known dog trainer and has done a lot of training workshops all over the country and had a tv show at one time. He may still have it for all I know because yesterday there was a tv guy and a cameraman who went out with him all day. I have already learned to prepare a couple of new pheasant recipes, and I hope that as time goes on I will learn about training hunting dogs.

That's the report- all good so far and confidence is high that the job wil continue to go well, lol.

So, I think I am going to like working there. I'll find out when I go back how many hours they want me for