I just conveyed a message to a 16 year old

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 10, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yes, there is pavement outside of our door; a 16 YO and his younger brother were considering vandalizing a car. A lit cigarette was adequate defense to this offense. All they had to know is that some one saw them. They did cease and diciest immediantly.

Now the 16Yo is marching up and down the street, cell phone at his ear, trying to 'put the make on some girl', what a waste of my time to listen to such, but such was the case. He hid in the shadows for about 10 mintes, then gained bravery enough to cross by me to go home. I am hoping this is the last time I see such - but doubt such will be the case.

I stood at the end of the driveway, chain smoking so he would see the glow of my cigarette and be acknowledged that he was disturbing us, via his loud and boisterous verbal orientationed words. It worked, he went home. Maybe it worked, maybe tomorrow we will have TP to remove from everywhere, who knows? My ability to type is less demanding that the energy to toss toilet paper.....

2. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Sometimes being seen is a deterrent, here's to hoping so in this case. I'm going to think positive, I am. :cool:

~~

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Hmmmm...I'm REALLY trying to cipher it out Moo...Best I can get, some punks saw you smoking and decided to move on? I can't get the tossed toilet paper line, but I'll tell ya one thing...

Every time I hear "boisterous verbal orientationed words", it gets on my nerves too... :baby04: :)

Edited to add:

I got it, you're afraid they'll come back and TP your house since you PP'd on their vandalizing plans...OK...

4. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

And any time you may hear his voice outside, you may consider sneaking out in the darkness, staying in the darkest shadows in your yard, until you are nearby and then light up. Let him know you are always there, watching.

5. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Way to freak the kid out. Good for you. I can't stand some of the punks that are out and about these days. Good job not being a victim and hopefully scaring him straight, even if it is just for one night.:)

6. Seeker

Seeker Well-Known Member

A lot of life is the challenge of the young to the 'established' and sometimes the established just have to make a statement.

Good for you!

7. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Yes, especially when crime may be involved. Hopefully the boy in question will think twice before he tries to engage in something like that again. Maybe 'scare him straight'.

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

you just aint scared him nough!! all the 10-19 year olds round here know enough too steer clear of us (hey with a 16 and 13 year old daughters you gotta be sacry!_), when they play nice so do we ,when they plull stuff, they're goners! sounds like they will take some hard leasons till they learn, fogey music tends too get rid of them, don't impress the girls that they are at an old folks home! rigging up some motion sensing lights helps guard stuff from unencumbered attack.

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    It is encouraging that many of you understand my attempts at communications, subtle seems to work correctly. We have a neighbor 'N' whom brings her children over to see the critters about once every 10 days or so. There is about 3 to 5, depending on N's duty to others.

One of her children is a female, about 8 or 9 whom always presents a hug at their departure. I make it a finite point to turn at least 90 degrees away from frontal contact before returning touch. Then the touch is just a simple palm contact to her back, no finger contact. 'N''s face gains a look of dismay when this happens, but at least she knows I am not ever going to be a threat to this female child.

I hope you understand this communications correctly,I find it awkward that many do not communicate at this level. It is my comfort level, to communicate completely. Why don't I see this with this entire board? Am I a freak?

10. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

Part of the reason we can't wait to get out of the nightmare my neighborhood has become. House goes on the market in January. We have worked long and hard for this move.

What happened to the Florida we knew & loved? My once nice quiet neighborhood is overrun with non working adult male punks, who spend more time on the street than my dh does at work each week. Oh yea with a cell phone in their ear constantly.

As I hang the laundry, work in my garden or spend any time outside I hear all about their criminal lifestyles. And their language would surely have them banned from CS Families. I have to send my kids in the house because of their foul mouths. Forget an enjoyable dip in the pool unless you love bone shaking rap music.

Oh and one more thing why must people throw their trash on the ground? Does not everyone have access to some sort of garbage container?

Sorry Moopups. Rant over for the time being.

11. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

I understand every thing you post completely. Maybe its just one Florida cracker to another.

12. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Im sure your plan had the desired effect but Ive found that comming from the utter dark and silence of the night the unexpected flash bulb has a LONG time effect ,be sure to follow it up with the comment . "Oh that came out CLEAR"

13. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

We had a local kid who kept cutting through our yard because he was lazy and wouldn't walk another 500 feet to use his own driveway. This really perturbed me.

I was on the porch feeding the birds and I caught him, gave him the glare of death. He just ran as fast as all get out and that was the end to the problem :D

Kat

14. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Remember when John Candy in "Uncle Buck" wanted to show that punk his hatchet?

That's the way to go...act a wee bit psychotic...

Seriously, we once had some neighborhood kids riding bicycles behind our house. We lived at that time in a church parsonage, and there was a large parking lot that the kids could ride on, but 2 of them insisted on riding the circle drive which went right around the house by our backdoor.

When DW asked them to stay in the lot and not come behind our house because it was our private drive, one of them sassed her and told her, "This is Church Property and we can ride anywhere."

Bad Move on his part. The wife simply said, "I know where you live and as soon as I get my shoes on, I'll come and talk to your Dad about it."

His brother instantly slapped him and said, "C'mon, if she wakes Dad up, he'll kill us both..."

The brother apologizedto my wife and said, pointing at his brother, "He's an idiot. We'll stay in the lot from now on."

That was the end of it. Sometimes it helps if you follow the punks home and know where they live and even meet their folks...The punks would much rather bother strangers, than people who know much about them.

15. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Boleyz
    LOL had a simular situation with a couple of muggers Id heard the one boy call the other "Clarence" So just before the point when the guns woulda come out I looked the one boy straight on and Said "Clarence? Clarence is that you?I know your moma!" I sorta banked on moma being a big deal in the black community...an it worked.

16. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm glad your ploy worked moopups, and it was nice to see a neighbor looking out for one another. My home was broken into a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the day. My neighbor was working on his roof and saw strange cars parked on the driveway..saw strange people check out the sheds in our yard and hear banging in the house for about 20 minutes and didn't think to call the police. Good Grief!

17. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Teachers are told not to hug. That's impossible, especially when you have kids who don't get caring at home. Like many others, I do sideways hugs - like you, it limits physical contact without rejecting the child.

You are wise to be careful in this day and age.

As for your communications, I rarely have problems understanding you - and when I do it's usually because I'm speed-reading and need to slow down.

Keep on posting. I like reading what you have to say.

18. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Merry CHRISTMAS...and if that offends you...read it again: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
    -Boleyz
    I like that. My version:
    Merry Christmas, and if that offends you I wasn't talking to YOU!

19. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Ahhh, Mitch... Don't you have Asperger's? I think you do a great job communicating!
    BTW, if I never mentioned it, you're the reason we discovered dh has Asperger's. Makes it easier to live with when you know what's going on, let me tell you.

20. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

No, you're not a freak! You're just a guy being very careful not to convey the wrong message!

Regarding the teenage boy, I posted about a situation between Roger and three of them. Am still laughing at the silly kids.