Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...............I've been considering AAA for a while ! Every time I see someone on the side of the road with a flat I can imagine myself in their shoes . So , I enrolled on line and chose the Plus plan........$80 'plus' $20 for first year signup , that's why they call it the 'Plus' plan . My bene's don't start till I receive my membership card in the mail . About 1 week's wait , and I don't have to worry about flat's or running out of gas .
...............I'm not sure IF the coverage extends to other state's besides Tx .I need to check on that . , fordy

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
...............I've been considering AAA for a while ! Every time I see someone on the side of the road with a flat I can imagine myself in their shoes . So , I enrolled on line and chose the Plus plan........$80 'plus' $20 for first year signup , that's why they call it the 'Plus' plan . My bene's don't start till I receive my membership card in the mail . About 1 week's wait , and I don't have to worry about flat's or running out of gas .
...............I'm not sure IF the coverage extends to other state's besides Tx .I need to check on that . , fordy
Saved me a few times- the worst being a time in a fairly isolated horse camp. I would have had to take out a second mortagage to pay for that call if not for the insurance.

Reactions: fordy

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
My mom and I were in another state-and she locked her keys in the car! I don't know what it would have cost us if I hadn't had AAA. W/the plan that we have, it didn't cost us a dime.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ran myself into a ditch a few weeks ago ---- AAA was right there to pull me out. And I was wayyyyyy out in the sticks at the time.

Worth every penny.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Be sure they have good tow service. (Miles)
Had them one time and only towed me to nearest exit on interstate. Was just a mini-mart.
Had to pay mega bucks to get to a garage.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My insurance gives me road side assistance as part of my policy no extra cost. Of course I don't travel and towing is for 3 miles after that you have to pay, but since I don't go far from home it works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
We had AAA for many years when we travelled a lot and it was well worth the cost. Most tows were for vehicle repairs, but a few were from when my kids locked keys in the car. We changed to another service since most of our travel now is with a trailer, and AAA wouldn't cover that. We've only had one issue since we left AAA, and the service wasn't as good or quick as AAA, but they did tow our RV to a campground and paid for the first two nights we had to spend there.

Dawn

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
We had AAA for many years when we travelled a lot and it was well worth the cost. Most tows were for vehicle repairs, but a few were from when my kids locked keys in the car. We changed to another service since most of our travel now is with a trailer, and AAA wouldn't cover that. We've only had one issue since we left AAA, and the service wasn't as good or quick as AAA, but they did tow our RV to a campground and paid for the first two nights we had to spend there.

Dawn
May I ask who you have?

We have AAA and take advantage of all the discounts we can. True it may just pay Taxes but hey.

big rockpile

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
My wife worked for AAA until their branch office closed in our town.

We have always had and continue to do so.
I can't tell you how many times over the years, I've locked my keys in the car.
I've had at least one flat tire which was on a major Interstate highway (of course the tire was the one facing traffic) and I was so relieved I wasn't the one changing the tire as the 18 wheelers went roaring past.
And we have had our cars towed several times - due to not starting, not running correctly, etc.

If you end up using their service once every two years - you have saved yourself a pile of money. Otherwise, it's just peace of mind knowing that you are covered.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I have CAA here in Canada and it's bailed me out half a dozen times over the last few years. I drive older vehicles so it makes sense to have it. The service has been quick and friendly, middle of the night once and no problem. I wouldn't be without it now.

I often wondered how they could make money with three or four free tows a year when a regular tow might be a few hundred dollars each but I have since learned that only a very small percentage of people actually use the service they pay for. I guess most people have it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I have AARP's plan through All State. It probably isn't as comprehensive as AAA, but it costs much less and has gotten me out of two jams. One time, there was no coverage in the area, so I was told to call any garage and they would reimburse me. And they did. The other time I was outside a large town, and the service was quick and good. I will say that the travel portion is not as good as AAA, but I do get free maps and a printout of the route, but nothing as detailed as AAA's trip ticks.

Reactions: fordy

·
Registered
108 Posts
we have had AAA for many many years, i got the plus plan too. up to 100 miles, 7 times a year, and i've heard tell that if its over that, the drivers generally will just put it down to 100 (if its only and extra few) otherwise wait till next day and do it again.

always been there, never a problem. and you get discounts if you say your a AAA member at hotels and such.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
We have always had AAA and as everyone else has been well worth it many times. I looked into a plan with our insurance awhile ago and had a free plan when we bought our car, but none of them actually had anyone contracted with them outside urban areas.

If you travel AAA has good discounts and we've used their triptiks (sp?) many times when moving and traveling across country.

OP - your AAA is good across the country.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yup, AAA work outside of texas....and if you are *with* a friend whos vehicle dies, you and use on of your tows on their car/truck. Its transferable coverage. I've used them ALOT.

Plus they have discounts at hotels, resturants and other places around the us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts