I have rabbits! Thanks Dunroven.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GoldenMom, Jul 23, 2006.

1. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I went to pick up my new rabbits from Valorie (aka Dunroven) today. Four good looking, healthy NZWs (3 does, 1 buck). They are very tame! Valorie's DH set them down on the grass to show them to me-I was sure they'd run off, but they stayed right there!

I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions so please bear with me! They are going to be a small colony in an old metal corn crib with a cement floor for now at least (I may build a grander rabbitry if I really enjoy them). I'm going to keep the buck in a dog crate in the colony at least until the females are old enough to breed (every body is about 3 months old now). Here's my first raising rabbits question: Do you provide salt for your rabbits? The bag of food I got says not to feed any hay with the diet and provide a salt wheel. Would a small horse brick be OK? I'm a bit confused with the no hay part-I see pet bunnies on occasion and always recommend that they be fed a good timothy hay along with the pellets to help keep the gut working properly. Is it OK to provide my rabbits with grass hay? That's all for now. I need to go check on them again, they've only been here for 1/2 an hour and they are already exploring their new digs and seem pretty calm and happy.

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Golden ,, first question :nerd: how big is this space ?? and with the heat wave everywhere ,, metal corn crib > is it shaded :shrug: got good venelation ,, do you have electricity for fans ?? have you put a thermometer in the building to see how hot it gets inside ,,

what are you useing for bedding on the floor ?? 10+ bales of straw filling the area deep ??? .. at least in places .. ,, :p ,, the rabbits will enjoy scratching and tunneling in the straw ,, and deeper will mean they can dig down under the straw to the concrete and possibly be able to keep cooler ,,

and depending on how long it takes to 'build-up' enough mess to be completely cleaned out ,, say every 3 / 5+ months ?? you will then still have a great amount of compost material for later use in your yard / garden ,,,

you might want to search out a better feed ,, any decent feed mill can make a rabbit pellet that contains all the salt and minerals a rabbit needs ,,

having a salt block is entirely up to you ,, I got one too when I first got back into raiseing rabbits and all I accomplished was ruining the galvanization on my cages wire ,, so if you get one be aware that a salt block will destroy wire ,,

my rabbits like hay ,, and I think its good for all rabbits to be fed a good mixed / timothy hay ,, in your pen I'm sure you could fix some kind of wire manger low enough you could add a flake or 2 a day into ,, or you could just set a bale up on 2 cement blocks and let them chew at the whole bale ( hay baled with wire)

what size is the dog crate ?? :p make sure its escape proof ,, bucks have a way of showing you they will become an early father if given half a chance ,, and will show you that that doe IS 'ready' to become a mother ,,

Congradulations on getting your rabbits ,, you're officially on the addicted list now ,,

:angel:

3. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Keep me posted on how the colony goes. I am getting ready to fence an area for some rabbits this week. Trying to get ahold of the breeder to go get them- hopefully tommorrow!

4. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new rabbits. We don not add salt to their diet but feed a good grass hay. What kind of feed did you get?

5. GoldenMom

The area is about 12' in diameter. I put a bunch of hay on one part of it for tunnelling/burrowing. I'm also going to give them some big PVC pieces as tunnels. I've also got 1/2 dog crates in there for shelter. Yes I have electricity very close. It is very open as far as ventilation goes and actually stays quite cool in there in the shady parts. I'm freezing some jugs to put in there for them during hot spells (it's not too bad at all here right now). The dog crate for the buck is 2'X3' and is pretty secure-it's held golden puppies and kittens without problem. I got the feed at Earl May-I'm not planning on using it as my normal source but I didn't know I was getting the rabbits until Saturday at noon and by then the regular feed store I go to was closed (it's run by Amish or something).

They are doing great so far. They ate the food no problem and are drinking well. They are so friendly!!! I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time out there with them.

6. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Sarah! I'm so glad you like the rabbits. I just love my babies. All 130 of them! LOL We don't feed alfalfa or anything like that because the pellets are a complete food, like another poster on this thread. We use Honor pellets. I'm no good at remembering percentages but I believe it is 18% protein. I normally feed more than everyone else does, but my rabbits are very sleek and happy. My does (the NZs) most of them weigh right at 10 pounds and my bucks right at 11. They rarely lose weight with the babies because I increase the feed although lots of people say not to do that, but I think it encourages the babies to start eating sooner and start gaining better. I feed a full measuring cup to each rabbit every day. We go through a lot of food, but I have happy rabbits! I don't feed salt either. Again, I believe there is some of that in the pellets. I need to bring in a tag from one of the bags and tell you what all it has in it.

How are the duckies doing? I have 6 more now. They are going to be black and chocolate scovies, I think 3 of each. I love them so much. Even my husband gets nuts over these baby ducks! They're funny!

Talk to you soon!

Valorie

7. GoldenMom

Everybody is still doing well. The ducks got 3 little friends yesterday (I had 2 Welsummer and 1 Welsummer cross chicks hatch yesterday). They are eating and drinking well. The rabbits are so friendly-they come running every time I go out to their pen. They have decided they really like the greens I pick for them!