I have pics of those cows I'm gonna look at!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 23, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Right click the image, click "save as", or forward them to me and ill post them for you. There are places that allow you to post images, but I can't think of any at the moment. My e-mail is misc@beechtree.us

Jeff

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ok can someone tell me how to post a picture? I am lost! HAHA!

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to each picture, right click on it. That should give you an option to "Save Picture As..." Follow the directions and save them to your computer.

After that go to a place like photobucket.com (will have to sign up if you don't already have a membership). They have directions there to add photos to your album. If you need help with that, let me know.
    It will give you three different things underneath your uploaded photo. Copy the top one. Paste it in a message. Highlight that address in the message and then click on the icon with the mountain on a yellow background below the "color" drop down bar.
    You should end up with on either side of the pictures address.

If that is as clear as mud, explain what is confusing...

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Here are the pictures Allenslabs sent..

First 3 are the same, last one is a different cow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just noticed in the e-mail, the last one is 3 quartered, too bad too. She has a nice tight udder. It won't hurt the cow, she won't give as much as a cow with 4 quarters for instance. If your hand milking, it shouldn't matter.

Jeff

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

By golly Allan, I wouldn't consider them as being short teats. Believe me, I've seen shorter than that and still been perfectly ok to milk both by hand and machine.

They're both lovely looking cows - did you mention and I missed it, as to why he is selling them?

Don't let the fact that one is a 3 titter put you off although I would expect not to have to pay quite so much for her. I milk a 3 titter and she produces as much milk as she did when all 4 quarters were operating. This is my second cow like that. The pundits say that the other 3 quarters will compensate for the lost one and that has been my experience.

Happy milking :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff-

I already know how to save pictures on my computer (nothing I need to put up now, but I would like to have the option) and I was wondering how you got them on this actual site? I think I understand the photobucket thing, but you seem to be able to put them up right here! If you could pm me or post here it would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks Horace-I think I have it figured out now! Maybe??? :)

7. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

What you need to know has already been posted, but I'll try to elaborate a little.

Go to Photobucket and set up an account. (free).

Upload a picture, already resized to the size you want to display.

Your picture will be given a unique URL.

Copy/paste the url in your post. It's the one pointed to below.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/plang2/Untitled-1.jpg

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

How do you resize it???? I'm using photobucket and I've tried the edit function on there to reduce to 25%. But when I try to post it here it is HUGE!!!!! Reduce to 25% didn't do anything. On my computer it is saved as 3.5 X 5 inches. I don't understand that part!!! Thanks.

9. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

both very nice cows....jersey fever lady...wish they were closer to me happy hunting john

10. dosthouhavemilk

Depending on why the cow is three quartered she will easily milk as much as she did with four quaters. If the quarter is completely blind, the other three take over the production that quarter had. just emans one less quarter to milk!
    Atilla was two quartered (only produced milk on her right side) and once the swelling went down in the left side she easily produced 40 pounds a day of milk out of two quarters. Now, her other side was not completely blind so she never produced to her full potential, but 40 pounds a day isn't shabby.

What are their ages again? The top one looks to be around 7 or 8, or older. The younger looks about five.

They both look good to me. If you AI I would go for a more posty legged throwing bull for the top one.
    The leg set is a big issue with Jerseys.

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, any photoshop editor will reduce the image. I use Paint Shop Pro. I can resize them any which way, etc. Paint shop pro is still made, it's made by jasc, the other one is photoshop. I like Paint shop pro, because it isn't bogged down by stuff.

Also when I post my images, I am using my own website, so all I do is upload them, and post them using the tags (one tag on each end of the URL).

Jeff

12. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most "starter" photo programs won't let you resize. The programs Jeff mentions work well, but aren't free, Photoshop runs hundreds of dollars. You can Google for freeware photo programs. One I like that will do what you need is PhotoFiltre

13. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Irfanview is an excellent free photo program that you can download off the net. Does as much as I've ever needed any photo program to do.

Nice condition on those cows, considering their age and apparent production!

Susan

14. myersfarm

i just saw something you might need to ask about......the leg band on the back right foot..both cows for sale have them in the last picture you can see a cow to the left that doesn't have one..i would ask why...i see they have two numbers in ear and neck so why the leg band unless something else is wrong with them..... like he doesn't put there milk in tank with the rest is why most ppl put a tag on foot ........i would just ask why john

15. allenslabs

Now this is interesting. The leg band tells them how much they walk throughout the day and when they are in heat they walk twice as much or something so it is to monitor heat cycles as he doesnt have a bull and AI's. The neck thing has a comp chip in it and when they walk up to the food bin it reads it and tells it who it is and how much she gets and will dump out a small amount 4 times a day. It is just so neat! I got the top cow. The botom one not only had only 3 quarters she just had 3 teats! The third had gotten ripped off as a heifer. Poor thing! But the top one was the friendliest. The reason he was selling her was cause she was only giving a little over 1 gal a day and he needed her to make more. She was a top producer her first time and then the next time ok but this time has dropped off for some reason. He said if I brought her here she might dry up but that w/ some good feed and more one on one care she might go up pretty well. I also bought a little bull calf. He's 9 days old and adorable! I would love to know where you all get only 5 for yours as he ask 50-100 for his w/out papers! But I wanted something for my daughter for 4h and didn't want to pay 150 for a holstein! So I'm just on cloud nine! She won't be able to be picked up till next weekend and I just can't wait to get her!

16. allenslabs

Oh and the top on is going to be 4 in july and the other is 3. They're both registered. The top one is dues 8-4 and the bottom 11-20

17. dosthouhavemilk

Wow, that is quite an udder for a four year old, but if she was a higher producer it isn't too suprising.
    We have a three quartered and three teated cow...she lost that to mastitis and her teat simply fell off. :rolleyes: First time dad has seen that happen. :haha:

Where do we get only five dollars for our bull calves? lol, we actually had to pay a dollar to sell that two week old bucket trained Jersey/Norwegian Red cross..those three went to the local Sale Barn (Barnesville). They probably brought more at the next sale they were taken too, but dealing with the hauler wasn't worth the aggrevation and the school had been getting $28.00 for their younger purebreds so we figured our meatier crosses would bring a good price......

We rarely ask more than $25 for ours and that is usually if they are a month old. We rarely keep any older.

Just more incentive for us to sell to actual people and not through a sale barn.

Congrats on your purchase!

18. myersfarm

well i guess your back to allenslabs now instead of milk fever lady.......still those leg bans bug me..if they were breed why track them to see if there in heat?/ but she looks great to me...good luck......have you got the trailer hooked up yet to go get her...lol...take a deep breath and the week will fly by...watch your watch and count the days and it takes years for a week to go by john

19. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Jersey bull calf? If so, if you keep him as a bull, watch yourself. I don't want to scare you, but they can be very very snotty. If you plan on banding him, then thats fine. Just want you to be forwarned. Some are fine, but they aren't pets when they get older. Do you plan to eventually breed her with him in a year or so?

Jeff

20. allenslabs

All his cows have those bands. Kinda funny walking around about 90 cows and they all have these little house arrest bands! HAHA!! Like little prisoner IDs or something. I plan on AIing most likely. After we have the calf here a week or so we will band him as we do NOT want a jersey bull for the above mentioned reason. MEAN!!