I have not been able to stop shaking...

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by motdaugrnds, Sep 11, 2017.

1. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Get a two piper, side by each. Sounds like a 20 in your case at this point. That means get a double barreled shotgun in 20 ga. with side by side barrels. Keep what you have yet get a revolver to practice with. Learn to shoot.

2. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Well-Known Member

I don't care for snakes. The man at the gun shop gave you good advise.

I have an old 22 revolver I keep loaded with shot shell for just such business.
    I often take mine to the mailbox with me...

motdaugrnds likes this.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

The guy at my gun shop reminded me that killing a snake with normal pistol ammo is just pure luck after the first shot because the way a snake moves your always shooting where it was.

A snub 38 or 357 revolver with shot shells patterns out nice at 10 feet to shred them in two rounds max.

I carry my pocket holstered .38 in my draw pocket and an empty speed loader and a speed loader with either my snake shot or hollow points in it in my other pocket during snake season.

If I go out into the snake prone areas on my place, I breach my revolver and store my carry loads in the empty loader and speed load the snake shot and do the same in reverse after leaving the snake zone.

4. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

ROFL You sure sound well organized...all of you sound like you know exactly what to do and are comfortable with getting it done.

I have not seen another snake (not even Blacky) since this last encounter with the copperhead; so maybe they're intimidated....ROFL....well I'm a dead shot when I'm not shaking. I will simply remember to "breath" should I see another; and hopefully that will calm my nerves so I won't keep dropping shells....LOL Yes, I find the whole episode quite comical now....

5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

we did pistol drills tonight , at the range with some of the guys from our club bowling pin shoot , with light disappearing quickly we just got out some steel and ran through some drills rather than set up all the pins over and over.

one that we did was to take two barrels but anything would work , place them about 12 feet apart you had to start in the middle the timer sounded , step to the right of the right barrel fire a round at the right target , move to the left of the left barrel fire a round on the left target , targets were 66% IPSC steel I think that makes them 12 wide by 16 tall or there about they are designed to represent the middle of a person or a person at greater distance

they were at 25 feet

if you are in shape enough to do it try it some time at your home range provided you have a safe direction to shoot , remember the gun has to stay down range while you move but you can really get huffing and puffing with 10 rounds and 10 1/2 crosses of just 12-15 feet basically the equivalent of running 50 yards but in a lot less space.

one of the guys we shoot with is a retired deputy sheriff , he said they used to have to run 50 yards then draw and shoot , to get their heart beat up and then try and hit a target the cross over drill gets your blood pumping and makes you shoot fast just as soon as you stop moving

6. motdaugrnds

ROFL I can just see myself "trying" to run...more like a fast and wobbly walk....ROFL Think the best way for me to practice is standing still and breathing...LOL

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

thats why I said if your in shape enough.
    not everyone is

but for those that are adding movement and changing it up is a much better test of your skill

8. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

Snakes are pretty harmless compared to hot lead bouncing off of rocks and cars and asphalt. A hoe is a much better tool for killing snakes. If you must kill them. Plenty come and go without you knowing it, you aren't likely to affect the population by killing the ones you see, and the ones you see aren't the ones that get you.

9. Dutch 106

Dutch 106 Well-Known Member

motdaugrnds

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...aign=Banner+Remarketing&utm_content=CriteoEOS

look at the bottom of the page glock 37 magazines for $15.

First off, well done, you did your best to handle the problem. and kept working it till it was silly to continue. Then quit.
    Not, what any number of good men and woman have done over the years, imagine people who got so focused (I'm doing my best to be kind) that tires got added holes (and survived any bullets bouncing back)
    Did anybody give you an atta girl. For thinking of using the car (the most dangerous tool you own) to do the bugger in, They are one of the few snakes I would not trust on the property. Anything mad enough to attack anything moving, is on the better off dead list. Not that you should necessarily, take anyone else's advice I can recommend Green county as being both very knowledgeable on this subject , and smart enough to give good advice.
    That said who ever heard of an old guy not pontificating. I gained most of my firearms experience in a small town police department that because I was interested, and had been practicing with hand guns for 10 or so years. I became the range master and had to learn to teach people mostly semi interested in shooting and believing shooting well, was impossible. because they didn't really care. By my standards (well of course you shoot well, you practice every week, cheater! EH!)
    I'm many years beyond carrying a gun as part of a living. But I still cheat (can you tell, that still stings) and practice either handgun, rifle or shotgun weekly. I carry everyday, and will, till I decide I'm not able. I turned 65 last week.
    I was able to get the semi-interested to shot capably, with Smith and Wesson revolvers, model 10 heavy barrels in 38 special Specifically (cheap practice ammo, something to run past a gun dealer, so he can show you what greencounty was talking about) and with there is a reason that many knowledgeable gun nuts recommend them, for less experienced shooters.
    I can understand how you ended up with a Glock 37 45GAP . An oddball cartridge Probably not very economical, to shoot in particular. Can you find that ammo at Walmart? I've never looked.
    A Mossberg 12ga is an excellent, utility tool. Very lightweight, a potential problem. You might try and pull it in very tight to your shoulder, will make it hurt less.
    Find A shotgunner to show you how, counter intuitive I know.

As a number of our neighbors here have said, practice, practice, practice. Look over your budget and see what you can afford, if its only one box of each every 3 months that's better than none, by a huge amount. I enjoy reloading so my ammo is much cheaper for me. Which is how I practice so much.
    Good luck

Dutch

10. motdaugrnds

Dutch I'm quite thankful for your comments. It means much to me to know others see the value in how I handled the situation under the condition I had to deal with, i.e. emotions shot...yeah pun intended.

I know some think the guns I chose were not what I needed; however, I'm satisfied with both. And yes practice off and on will help. Also, after going to the gun range and finding out I still had good eye>hand coordination, my confidence returned. (Have not seen a copperhead since and now it is too cold for them to show up; so won't know until next year if my nerves will stay calm...er next time one shows up.) Still I'm feeling pretty good at my handling of the situation; and your comments help a lot. Thanks again.

11. GREENCOUNTYPETE

glad your getting to the range and getting your confidence back