I have not been able to stop shaking...

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by motdaugrnds, Sep 11, 2017.

1. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

you have 3 posts and you joined yesterday, if you can make a constructive post then do so , if your just here to make trouble leave.

IndyDave and motdaugrnds like this.
  2. oceantoad

oceantoad Well-Known Member

GRENCOUNTYPETE,

Thanks for the above. I just think that she may not have the guns that are quite right for her. Sometimes you need to reach out past a hoe or rock distance to slap something down, plus hoes and shovels do not always fit into the corners that you need to get at. Losing a dog to a "no shoulders" bite is not the way to live. I am a firm believer for a woman living by herself in the country to have a firearm or two. Saw the story of the woman in Oklahoma that I think killed 17 copperheads and she had a gun. I am all for it. No need to have a medical bill in the thousands from a bite. More power to you Ms. motdaugrnds, and once again, smart dogs.

motdaugrnds likes this.

3. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

4. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

You are all so helpful. I'm grateful!

I do have a holster for the Glock and it, also, holds a separate "magazine".
    I just put the shotgun shells in my pockets.

The "loader" does push down the ?? enough to push one bullit in; however, even pushing that bullit in is so hard that I've not been able to get that magazine loaded. I'll look into getting that "LULA" as I've saved the link. (The gun shop may have one.)

{....full choke - designed to place 70% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards
    ....Modified choke - designed to put 60% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards
    ....Improved cylinder - designed to put 50% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards
    ....cylinder - designed to place 40% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards
    (cylinder is no constriction just a strait tube as if the barrel was cut off with a saw at 18 inches)
    ....Skeet - designed to place 50% of the pellets in a 30 inch circle at 25 yards]

Golly, these distances (multiples of 3' per yard) are much farther than I would ever be from a snake. I wouldn't even be able to see it to shoot at it. Does that mean my shotgun is useless for this type of situation because the "spread" of the shots would not be wide enough?

I do understand the guns I have are powerful and may seem to be too much for an old woman. However, when I purchased them I actually became rather efficient in firing them both and hitting the mark. Problem this time has been more my nerves than my skill as I kept shaking so much nothing worked as it should have. (Strange thing was when I was trying to sit one of my van's wheels on top of this snake. I kept thinking how beautiful that snake was and my nerves did not give me near the trouble they had before. They did act up when I started chopping the snake up though.)

All in all I'm glad I have the type of guns I have; and will practice a bit so my nerves can be better acting should I need to use the guns again. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

No, but it does mean you have to aim it just as carefully as you would a rifle.

6. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

I am glad you got it. Virginia law regarding shotgun magazine capacity only applies during bird hunting. You can load the gun to capacity if you aren't actively hunting fowl. It is quite likely that it was a different snake. #6 from 10 ft away with a shotgun likely did the first one in, it just didn't immediately kill it. I have had to kill numerous venomous snakes, sadly. I have only had to shoot two. A shovel is a much more effective and usually handier tool in my experience.

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

in Appleseed day 2 we tell the story of the dangerous old men April 19 , 1775 , after we have told the stories of a few of the Dangerous old men we follow with the stories of a few of a women of the day. I encourage you all to go hear them told at An Appleseed.

I will give you a quote from an English news paper opposed to England's policies " If one old Yankee woman can take 6 grenadiers , how many soldiers be required to conquer America?"

it is great marksmanship training , while we teach about our Heritage , and History
    hopefully we can inform modern Americans about the costs of their freedoms and inspire them to use the tools provided by our founders to continue the prosperity of Liberty.
    as Americans we have a Unique legacy of marksmanship , freedoms and liberty , let us not squander the gifts we have been given.

sometimes someone needs different equipment , and almost always they could use more training and often after more training they find they want different equipment but that different is often not what they might have thought it was or what was suggested before they experienced it through training.

I am not there to see how her guns fit her , there is no reason a 12ga semi auto that is often a heavier gun with a light load would be any more abusive than a 20ga , if the 45gap works for her , the glock is a solid platform and more practice will tell her what she likes or doesn't like about it , although she may want to try others while at the range for comparison if that is an option.

It is every man and woman's right to own arms for their defense , safety , and all other legal uses.

from time to time we can help someone become a safer , better skilled marksman.

8. GREENCOUNTYPETE

precisely , this isn't TV where the prop people get to make up the shot pattern any way they like

it starts just under 3/4 of an inch it takes time and the outside forces of gravity and air resistance to start the shot spreading as the wad slows more quickly than the shot and falls away from the shot column.

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are not worried about long range accuracy or efficacy perhaps you might consider a double barrel shotgun with a minimum length barrel. Easy to load and take care of and you could load a bird shot (for snakes, crawling variety) in one barrel and buckshot in the other, for two legged snakes.

10. GREENCOUNTYPETE

a video for you on the Lula loader , there are a lot of bad videos on the internet but this guy is a strait shooter Hickock45 is his youtube handle he and his son John make a number of videos shooting or shooting related , he does get a little cheesy comedy at times but here you can see how it works.

when ever we get a new shooter at Pistol league they generally have a LuLa by the next shoot.

your gun shop owner is very likely to have one at his store , they have become hugely popular in shooting in the last several years.

11. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I'm not totally familiar with your shotgun, some semi-autos handle light loads better than others. If it will handle low brass loads, you might want to think about getting a box of #7 and a 1/2 or a box of #8 shotshells. Snakes don't require big pellets and the lighter loads will give you high pattern density at typical snake ranges with a bit less recoil. But if your gun hangs up or does not function properly with those loads, you shouldn't use them.

12. GREENCOUNTYPETE

shotshells.JPG

low brass or high brass is sort of an old term that doesn't hold true all the time anymore, at one point light loads were generally all low brass like the winchester extra-lite 8 shot on the left and hunting or full power loads had high brass like the green round all the way to the right , but the buckshot load one in from the left is not really high brass but is almost low brass or is where low brass used to be but it is definitely not a light round and just to show it the all red shell is a magnum steel load with no brass at all.

a Winchester AA super handicapped has the same low height brass as the extra-lite but is not as light as the extra-lite.

most manufacturers realize that if they are making 2 3/4 inch target loads a bunch of them will end up in gas driven semi auto shotguns very similar to the posters gun , and they use powders that provide enough gas volume even with a reduced recoil or shot payload weight.

basically 2 things effect recoil in a shot shell , how much shot weight your pushing and how fast you are trying to accelerate it.

check out https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...-lite-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-8-shot

a target load will have less recoil than a high brass hunting load , but even they are typically 1 or 1 1/8 oz shot payloads the extra-lite use a 7/8 oz payload to further reduce recoil.

most of the time if we find a gas operated semi auto that will not cycle on a target load or lite target load , they need to be cleaned and a new set of O-rings

but yes definitely function test any round you count on and in-case you need a cleaning and O-ring or gas seal.

you will also find almost all shot shells are no longer brass based , just brass plated steel they all seem to attract a magnet these days. lower brass and steel are all part of the cost cutting measures to hold the price point on a product

and your toilet paper roll is a half inch narrower than they used to be also

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  13. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Most of the time, when using a shotgun, I grab one of my pumps. Usually either the BPS or an 870 Remington. But I will occasionally grab the wife's Franchise Affinity 20 gauge. It is a well balanced, good pointing weapon.

But it does not handle light loads well at all. I place a high value on dependability, which is why I like the do-everything aspect of a pump.

14. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

My SBE2 hates target loads. 2.75 mags or 3" shells, 3.5 for turkey only.

15. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you would like it where we live. Have not seen a snake in over 5, perhaps 10 years! And the only snakes we have are timid garter snakes (saw one in our flower bed 20 years ago eating a little toad) and tiny little fire snakes that you might find under a rock. But have not even seen a fire snake in many years but then again I have not been tipping too many rocks lately.

But snakes don't like up to 6 months of winter and perhaps you wouldn't either :)

16. GREENCOUNTYPETE

Micheal lives in northern Wisconsin , in far southern Wisconsin , we have more snakes mostly all small and non poisonous and If you go looking in just the right spots the Timber an Mississauga rattler but I have never seen one and the Mississauga is on the endangered list.

this is the largest snake I have ever seen in the wild in Wisconsin , it is about 6 feet long and I will admit it startled me while I was closing the gate , but I quickly identified it as a fox snake and didn't shoot it. well not with my gun , I got a few pictures of it.

foxsnake.JPG

Chuck R. likes this.
  17. motdaugrnds

Pete that snake is as beautiful as this copperhead was.
    Michael, no I would not like 6 months of cold winter weather.

Tried to call the gun shop where I had purchased the Glock 37 and discovered it was gone. Called a Deputy Policeman dear friend of mine and he told me the gun shop was still there (as is the range). They just changed the name. So after the Sabbath and probably sometime next week, I'll give them a call and find out what times I can work out at their gun field and what type of instructions would be available for my learning experiences. (Oh yes I'm determined to be quite good at killing a snake the next time one shows up!)

18. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Old eyes and auto-correct are not your friends. Franchi, Franchi, Franchi...

19. motdaugrnds

Pete, How can I tell the "fake" UpLula magazine loader from the "real" ones? I'm planning on purchasing one of those at this gun shop when I go....

20. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter