I have not been able to stop shaking...

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by motdaugrnds, Sep 11, 2017.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Both my dogs were barking a lot; and when I went out to check I saw what looked like a grown copperhead curled up in my front yard just in front of my van. I ran back inside and got my 12 gauge and couldn't remember how to load it. Finally got it loaded and it would not fire. Finally took it off safety and shot at the snake. It jerked as though I had hit it; but then it started coming toward me. I could not get my gun loaded again; so ran inside and got my 37 Glock. I shot at that snake but apparently missed it and that was my last bullet in the gun. Ran back inside to get more shotgun shells (#6) and get my headlight. (It was around 10pm so was dark except where my night light was shining.) When I got back outside the snake was under my van up against the left wheel. I managed to get inside the van and was trying to drive over the snake. I obviously didn't or I would have found a dead snake. It is now missing and I have no idea where it is. The last time I saw it move it was headed toward my trailer; and I know there are ways it can get under the trailer. Thus, now I cannot stop shaking....

What do I do now???? (I've re-loaded both the shotgun and the glock...)

al, kinnb and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  2. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

Practice loading and reloading more often. Keep your pistol fully loaded....always.

al, mnn2501, hunter63 and 4 others like this.

3. oceantoad

oceantoad Well-Known Member

I agree with the above, but remember that a hoe or shovel will also work. I have killed two rattlesnakes with my cane, but they took a lot of killing. Hopefully your dogs will alert you if the snake is around. Neighbor got a rattlesnake yesterday after the dog alerted on it. Smart dog it did not get bit. Sounds like you have two smart dogs since they did not get snake bit. Shotgun is great for snakes, please work with it. Calm down and watch where you step.

4. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

for the snake , I think the best approach is to wait for light and perhaps recruit some help if possible.

for now calm down the best you can , the snake can stay outside and you can stay inside , it will be better dealt with in the morning , temps will likely be cooler and you will be better able to see.

for practice , I think your in need of more , practice loading , unloading , and reloading and practice shooting it is going to cost ammo but not that much shot shells plain old 7 1/2 or 8 target loads available for about 5 dollars a box will do for practice and snakes you may even want to try a light target load to reduce recoil , I recall recoil being a concern in a previous conversation about this with you.

for ammo carrying , they make a sleeve that goes on your stock that holds 5 rounds 5 maybe isn't enough they are not very expensive but any old oversize vest with large pockets to carry ammo that you can hang right next to your gun that keeps your reloads easily accessible think old jean jacket with sleeves cut off that has generous pockets or an old BDU shirt sans sleeves that has good size pockets at about your waist , or you could sew pockets on some other removing the sleeves lets you get it on fast.
    or a shoulder bag that you can toss over cross body easily and quickly to carry your ammo just something that will hold your ammo on a convenient place and not spill it out but let you reach in and come out with a shell every time , spare flash light , possibly handgun.

a light on the gun might also be very helpful they don't have to cost a lot but quality durable lights do cost something

al, gilberte, cfuhrer and 1 other person like this.
  5. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

That is very scary,hope you find it

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I rubber band a c cell mag light on my night guns forearm. Works great for night work, adjusted for the broad beam.

Yup load and unload that shot gun till you can do it in the dark by feel.

:D Al

al and cfuhrer like this.
  7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Get some grenades:D

I know, not helpful but I couldn't resist. GREENCOUNTYPETE gave all the good advice needed.

8. motdaugrnds

Thanks so much. You wonderful people in here have always been helpful and encouraging....

Yes, I've already begun practicing the load, unload and re-load with the shotgun. It is a semi-automatic and carries 3 shells. (Will carry 5 but only 3 are permitted by law in this county; so had to place a spring of some type in to keep the extra 2 from being stored...years ago so don't remember details of this.)

Had a 2nd cartridge for the Glock; so have that ready to put in. Tried re-loading the empty cartridge but it was too hard to push the bullets in; so it lies empty at this time. Still the one ready to go holds plenty...though don't remember how many. The man at the store where I purchased this handgun loaded them for me. (Got an extra plastic thing that slips over the cartridge and I "think" that is suppose to make loading easier. Have not figured out how to use it yet.)

Walked around looking for it this morning...with Cujo (labradore with great nose). Watched him go to all the places where I had seen the snake last night and smell. He lost the smell where my van was (last place I had seen the snake). Am wondering if that snake has curled up inside the van somewhere on the underside. Seems my driving it a bit last night would have stopped that or shushed it out; but never found it so have no idea.

Yes, I've got some smart dogs. Both were keeping their distance while barking at the snake last night. Took quite a bit of effort on my part to get them to "move". Had to repeat it several times before they gave me enough distance between them and the snake to shoot at it; but they did. Then they both disappeared when I began shooting. ROFL Yes the shots were quite loud. Had to shoot from the hip with the shotgun as it hurts my shoulder; and of course the Glock had quite a kick but it makes the gun go upward instead of inward toward me. And with both hands holding it, worked fine. Still very loud. It took a bit of time to get the dogs to come to me after this. LOL Anyway I have no doubt should that snake show up again, my dogs will alert me. (My concern is that it has gone under my trailer to give "live" birth to its babies...if indeed it is a female.)

Got some "Raid Fumigator" I can set out under the trailer. It causes smoke to permeate everywhere and is great with bugs of all kinds. Not sure it would be strong enough to cause a snake to move out from under the trailer; however, am sure game to try it. (I remember using this something similar...don't recall the name...many years ago and know for sure it made a snake get out from under the house I was renting. I think that can had sulfur in it. Not sure this one does as have not found it written on the label; and I think sulfur is against the law to sell now.)

Took me awhile last night to calm down. Thought I never would. Took a couple of benedryl capsules and, within half an hour, was asleep. This morning nerves are still letting me know they are disturbed; yet they aren't yelling at me like they did last night....

This brings to mind the last time a copperhead was found on the place. My son brought it inside the trailer...still alive...; then when I yelled at him to get it out, he did so and killed it...as well as eight (8) babies it was about to give birth to. Oh dear!!!

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Is that a typo, or do you really have a Glock 37?
    That's a strange caliber choice for an inexperienced shooter.

If you aren't physically able to load the magazines you may want to consider selling it and buying a revolver.

There are also several designs of magazine loaders that can make it much easier to do.
    Find a gun shop where they can show you how to use one easily so you won't be caught in that situation again.

cfuhrer likes this.
  10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I wouldn't do that while at home.

There's too much of a chance the fumes will enter the house, and odds are it won't bother the snake anyway.

"Snake repellents" don't actually work.

11. GREENCOUNTYPETE

I think your saying cartridge and meaning magazine for the Glock , the Magazine holds the cartridges in your case probably 10 of them.

you have been saying glock 37 , that would be a 45gap is your gun 45gap?

the glock magazine loading tool leaves some to be desired , basically it helps once you get past the first round in the magazine to help push the rounds in the magazine down as you slide the next round/cartridge in.

I prefer the LuLa magazine loading tool https://www.amazon.com/Maglula-UpLU...05223781&sr=8-1&keywords=lula+magazine+loader
    the LuLa works form the first to the last round and provides a ramp to slide the new cartridge down , the ramp holds down the last one you put in the magazine.

I hope that you can get some additional training on the pistol , and practice on the shotgun , if you were near by I would come visit and help you with both.

I was looking for a youtube video to suggest to show using he glock magazine loading tool , all I found was that I should teach a course in Glock 101 for all the new Glock Users out there posting stuff on you tube , basic use , function , maintenance , carry and shooting of the Glock semi auto pistol family.

al likes this.
  12. motdaugrnds

Yes what I have is a 45gap. And when I purchased it, I was able to load and fire it just fine. That is actually why I got it. Takes only one shot if one has good aim; and for a target larger than a snake I'm pretty good at hitting the mark. It has been a few years (about 10 I think) since I first got it; and have only practiced a few times years ago, figuring what I knew then would suffice. I think it was my nerves getting in the way this time...same with the Mossburg shotgun.

Anyway I went after the mail this morning and on my way back noticed my dog was nosing around a particular area. I walked on toward the house watching that dog; and when I saw him (Cujo) smell and refuse to get closer, I knew something was there. I must have come within two feet of that snake! There was the grown copperhead curled up putting its tongue out. It blended in so well with the ground and grass/leaves that I could have stepped on it.

This time instead of getting my guns, I got my car keys. It took half a dozen times before I was able to hold down that snake with the front tire (drivers' side). Then I got my hoe and chopped it into bits before I moved the van. Then I went back and chopped it up some more making sure I got the head. Oh yes, I took pics.....(below).....Then I put it into a hole and chopped it up so that, if it did have any babies inside (as it looked rather full) they were all chopped into "flat" bits. Then I buried it with 3" of soil.

I am still shaking from all that; but know my nerves will calm as time progresses. I'm just so grateful God looks out for idiots like me!!! copperhead_2017.jpg

MichaelZ, kinnb and PlayingInDirt like this.
  13. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I kept a .38 revolver loaded with snake shot when we lived near Flagstaff (the place that was "too high in elevation for rattlesnakes" at 8000 ft) and we had a huge prairie rattler problem because of prairie dogs.
    It got a workout. That place was lousy with rattlers.

14. GREENCOUNTYPETE

maybe buy some more ammo and do some more practice , 45gap never really took off as a common round it is a 45 cal bullet on a shortened 45acp case to let it fit int he smaller frame commonly used for the 9mm or 40s&w , ballistics were virtually identical to the 45acp just in a shorter package.

glad you got the snake

I may well have this quote wrong but still true and I have no idea who actually started it , "seldom we don't rise to the occasion , but we fall to our training"

train hard , train smart , making good muscle memory is huge both your muscle groups are important the muscles that move your bones and the muscle between the ears.

it would be a good idea to take a piece of card board draw a snake on it in marker place it the distance away you were trying to shoot the snake (safe direction)with the shotgun and shoot the card board see what your pattern looks like , change distances and get a better feel for how far you want or need to be to shoot the snake do the same with your pistol, knowing where you need to hold is important and it can even change between boxes of ammo , one box you may hold the front sight right on the snake a different brand or bullet weight and you may have to hold just under the snake at 3-5 paces

also as we age or due to injury we need to change up our tools it doesn't take a lot of gun to kill a snake but it takes one you make yourself familiar with and keep current on , if it is too uncomfortable to use the tool to practice then it might be time to change tools the easiest thing to change is the ammunition to an extra lite target load.

as for the restriction of 3 rounds in the gun that is a hunting thing as far as I am aware , there is not a limit to the number of rounds a shotgun can carry in a defensive situation and you could put it back to 5 round capacity if you are not hunting with it.

15. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

So glad you got him!!! Oh my god how scary. I have to get some more practice in for sure, this is my nightmare.

16. oceantoad

oceantoad Well-Known Member

Very good for you and the dog. Please try getting some lighter loads for that shotgun so that you can shoot it from the shoulder. if you still can't shoot the gun, maybe think about trading for a smaller gauge. Are you in an area that you could use a 22 caliber rifle? Shotgun is great for snakes, people, bear, etc., but not if you can't shoot it from the shoulder. It can be done, but not nearly as often as they do it in the movies. A light shotgun load in 12 is not to bad, I would think that you could use it. Could also see about putting a pad on the stock of the gun to soak up some recoil. Just remember, you are Wonder Woman, just got that roofing work done. More than I could have done.

motdaugrnds likes this.
  17. motdaugrnds

Thank you all so much. My nerves are fine now. (Wished I had had a nice glass of wine at the time though...may pick some up next time I'm in town. LOL)

Here are a couple of pictures. One shows the Mossburg with #6 shot and the headlamp, along with the Glock set I purchased. The other is strickly the 37 Glock, 2 "magazines" and the loading tool. Discovered when I push the loading tool down, the magazine opens up for the bullet to be placed inside. Have not loaded it yet; but now believe I can. :)

Am wondering about the shells I have, i.e. #6 and #4 and what type of spread they have. I was about 10 feet from the snake when shooting at it; and I thought at the time that #6 shot should have peppered it with enough shot to kill it; but it didn't. Should I be closer or farther away for that to occur? Setting up a practice board is a great idea!!! Also the gun shop from which I purchased the Glock is only half an hour drive from me and he already told me I could practice on the range he has there. So may take him up on that.....
    Picture 001.jpg Picture 003.jpg

18. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

At ten feet, your pattern wasn't much bigger than the wad, especially if you have a full choke in the gun.

Personally, I think you may be over-gunned, if you rarely shoot. And possibly, over complicated. When my DIL needed a shotgun and a handgun, I got her a 12 gauge double barrel and a .38spl revolver. She had shot a bit of skeet and was familiar with the O/U shotgun. She keeps a band on the stock with some low brass 7&1/2 shotshells. The revolver is a Taurus 82(copy of a S&W Model 10) 4 inch barrel. The Taurus is usually carried in her car.

I try to get her to shoot with me when she will, which isn't very often. Maybe once every three months or so. But by keeping it simple, she doesn't do too bad.

19. Amello

Amello Member

Maybe think about not having a gun around? If a snake makes you too nervous to shoot straight imagine those invading hoards coming for all your food or bad guys breaking in to swipe your cherished chewed bubble gum collection.
    That stern warning of: "I have a gun and I'll blow my own foot off!" probably isn't going to scare off 'the bad guys'..
    Just my own 2 pennies worth..

20. GREENCOUNTYPETE

you have good quality tools to work with , I think some practice and maybe a few small changes.

definitely take the gun shop owner up on some practice on the range. while you are there bring the shotgun , ask if he can tell you what choke the barrel is , if it is a fixed choke it will be stamped on left side of the barrel but there is a good probability that that gun uses the mossburg accu-choke system and the choke can be unscrewed and replaced with a cylinder or improved cylinder choke to allow the pattern of shot to spread more.
    often these guns come with a Modified choke tube this is the Middle or medium constriction , while good for game birds at 25 yards your not to likely to be 75 feet from a snake.
    basically no shotgun patterns the way they do on TV , TV is fake even an improved cylinder at 10 feet will be a smaller pattern than TV

specialty extra full / super full these make for the most densely concentrated shot at ranges out to 50 yards these sometimes are calibrated to a specific type of specialty ammunition and might be used for shooting turkey and coyotes at greater range.

full choke - designed to place 70% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards

Modified choke - designed to put 60% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards

Improved cylinder - designed to put 50% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards

cylinder - designed to place 40% of the pellets in a load in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards
    (cylinder is no constriction just a strait tube as if the barrel was cut off with a saw at 18 inches)

Skeet - designed to place 50% of the pellets in a 30 inch circle at 25 yards

Skeet is a game shot at very close range compared to trap where you start 16 yards behind the target thrower
    in skeet targets can start just over your head or next to your shoulder and the farthest you shoot at them is typically 25 yards

different shells patter differently from different guns but these are general guide lines , https://1source.basspro.com/index.php/component/k2/240-hunting-gear/397-guide-to-shotgun-choke-tubes her is a link to a nice article explaining it with pictures near the bottom of this article they show shot spread estimations for common chokes they estimate that a improved cylinder spread be about 15 inches at 30 feet If I recall my spread was about 10 inches at 30 feet with my improved cylinder barrel so you want to see how your gun patterns.

but for snakes a Skeet choke that spreads the shot the most might be the best thing for you , Carlson makes chokes that are of good quality and reasonable price of about 15-20 dollars.

you DO NOT want to shoot a barrel threaded for a choke tube without a tube fully screwed into it or you can damage the threads.

so if possible a skeet choke to give you the most open pattern at close range and know what your pattern looks like and try shooting some snakes drawn on cardboard laid on the ground at different distances for practice.
    a way to carry ammunition like a vest or bag
    low recoil ammunition , trap or lite target loads will be plenty for a snake at short distance as long as they cycle well in your gun.
    your head lamp should be fine as long as you keep fresh batteries in it but a spare light as a backup
    (if your concern was 2 legged predators you might want a very bright weapon mounted light with momentary on but that is more training and tactics than snakes)
    if you do not have a holster for the Glock I would recommend one , and I recommend one fitted for the Glock the Glock 20/21/37 use the same holster , a holster should hold the gun secure enough that you can with an unloaded gun turn the holster upside down over your bed and not have the gun fall out. Glock pistols have no external safety selector (not that you would trust it on a gun that did ) , the safety is keep your finger off the trigger , this is simple and this is easy to train , but it requires that when carrying a Glock a good holster that covers the trigger guard be used an additional magazine , ammunition in a magazine is usable and quick to access , ammunition not in a magazine is minutes away 2 is good but 3 or 4 magazines can make more efficient use of your training time at the range and also give you greater readily available ammunition.

if you use a vest to carry your ammunition ,magazines in the non trigger hand pocket , and shot-shells in the trigger hand pocket