Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
I have a stitch on my machine that looks like serging, but isn't. I've used it to serge in a pinch as I don't have a serger either. I would think a zig-zag would work. The goal is to keep the fabric from unravelling from the back of the garment (assuming you're making a garment), weakening the seam.

-Joy

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Howdy -
what I've done for many years./
Just make the regular seam, trim to 1/4 inch then I'll do a regular zig-zag, or the serge foot with a stitch that has a stitching line with a V stitch going over the cut edge.

What are you suppose to be serging? Knowing what it is, I may have other ideas - above is just for regular seams.

For rolled hems, I've done a very compact ZigZag and carefully keeping the fabric taught to make it roll. Sometimes I go over it twice to get the density I'm after.

So, what are you needing to Serge?

Angie

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Also, if sewing a stretch fabric (lycra for ice skating outfits or swimsuits for example) I've always used a tiny width zig zag for the seams and then a second of the same about 1/8th inch away in the seam allowance. These can work through about 4 or 5 hand me downs.

Angie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts