I have my new Jersey (bred) heifer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mamagoose, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Yeah! Thanks to the links here, I contacted a dozen farms and 2 got back with me and yesterday we picked up our heifer. The owner guaranteed her to be bred or be a breeder and he would make it right if not. She is from a small cow family, but a good one. I should be milking by the end of summer after all!

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! You'll have to fill us in on all the details, name, post a picture etc. How's she adjusting to her new home so far?

3. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Thanks Christina, she is scared. We will probably wait for her registration papers before settling on a name and I didn't get around to asking. We picked her up at a farm other than the owner's. We have her in a large pen for now, trying to get her to adjust to us. I can hardly wait to take her for a walk, but I'll have to wait and ahve DH or one of the boys hold on too, until she gets "flight" out of her system! I can't see putting her in the field until I know for sure she is settled. And then there are the horses in the adjacent field across the road. What will she think of them! She's used to being with other cows, not people, but I'm sure she will adjust. She's dehorned, not polled, but I'll AI her to a polled bull. We've dehorned an occasional beef calf, but it is just something we want to avoid. I will try and get a pic this weekend. I'm a happy girl! Now, to work on DH for a pig or two for the extra milk. We've raised pigs in the past, but need better facilities and he's against pasturing them. He's interested in making sharp cheeses, so I'm hoping to get a root cellar!

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations :) Jerseys are wonderful, I'm very partial to them. Mine is halter trained and leads better than my filly :) she'll come around for you quickly, just be patient. I did cave and get my milking Jersey two bottle babies to raise and another cow/heifer pair to keep her company :)

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Yay!
    Glad to hear you were able to track one down!