Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm living in an old house made by my granddad. The pipes arrangements are truly dark. Last time there is an issue with the kitchen pipe. I attempted to lighten it without help from anyone else. But again it got damaged. What should I do to fix this problem permanently? Could anybody exhort me? If it's not too much trouble, share your proposal. It will be truly useful.

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
Um, I don't quite understand what you mean by "truly dark" or "attempted to lighten it".

What exactly happened? Do you not know where the pipes run? Is their location too dark for you to see the pipes? What exactly did you do? How were the pipes damaged?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What kind of problem? Not sure what you mean by "dark" and "lighten" but am tempted to suggest exorcism....

In all seriousness, if you have very old plumbing, it is worth considering a total replumb. It means opening walls, but copper leaks less than old galvanized, and pvc drains are easier to work with than cast iron.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Need more details. Material, supply or drain, location, problem? Pictures wouldn't hurt, either.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Um, I don't quite understand what you mean by "truly dark" or "attempted to lighten it".
Do you think she oughta really be asking a priest for advice instead of us?

Replumb the house with PEX and new fixtures.
Alice- you're always on top of every question here..Do you have the teacher's copy with all the right answers in it?

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts

Alice- you're always on top of every question here..Do you have the teacher's copy with all the right answers in it?
I am assuming, without trying to point it out 'cause you know what happens when you assume, that English is not the poster's original language and they don't know the right words to describe what they mean.

And yes, I think Alice has the teacher's book with the answers in the back. She always has good information.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shot in the dark, if it's a leaking plastic pipe you're having trouble with, get yourself the cheapest hacksaw you can find, a piece of sandpaper, and shark bites at the hardware store. If the sucker is clogged, try stopping the drain, filling the sink with hot, soapy water, then letting the drain out. Worst case, disconnect kitchen sink from drain pipe, and put a five gallon bucket there.
Hope I helped :D

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Back when I was doing plumbing work, I'd do whatever the customer wanted. After a good customer (friend) had me out three separate times, fixing one broken pipe after another, told him I could have replumbed his entire house for what he'd already paid... He had me do 100% new pipe, was done in a long day, and I guaranteed it to work. 20 years later, still no issues...

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Back when I was doing plumbing work, I'd do whatever the customer wanted. After a good customer (friend) had me out three separate times, fixing one broken pipe after another, told him I could have replumbed his entire house for what he'd already paid... He had me do 100% new pipe, was done in a long day, and I guaranteed it to work. 20 years later, still no issues...
And I thought you were dead! Maybe I hadn't paid attention???

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

Alice is in the rental business. It comes with the territory 😂

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Not sure what the OP is asking. I had a 4-plex with old galvanised pipe. The water pressure was really low. You could cut out a 1 foot section and it was so clogged you couldn't see light through it. Dark pipe?? I replaced it with CPVC (before PEX) a bit at a time. I worked during the afternoon when no one was home. I'd cut out some galvanised, unscrew it at a joint, replace it with new, and attach the new to the old so the tenants had water. Rinse and repeat. Eventually got it all replaced, 4 bathrooms, 4 kitchens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts