Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feedstore had 2 bags of barley that wasn't selling so they let me have them cheap.

They have hulls and look ok, nice fat grains. I thought it might be fun to grow a tiny patch, but I know nothing about barley.

I assume it has to be planted in spring? Can it be hand-threshed like wheat? How do you get the hulls off after threshing?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Actually there are two kinds of barley just like there is of wheat. My dad always planted winter barley meaning it was planted in the fall of the year. I grew spring barley meaning it was planted about as early as the ground could be worked. Where I currently live it is often planted in February or early March.

I'm not up on modern barley varieties but dad's always ripened after the wheat by a couple of weeks which allowed us to move from the harvest of one crop right to the next.

It generally out yields wheat for bushels per acre. If I recall correctly the benchmark for barley makes it considerable lighter in weight than wheat.

We used combine to do the cutting and threshing and it was fed to livestock so no removal of hulls was done.

Sorry, can't help you more if at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually there are two kinds of barley just like there is of wheat. My dad always planted winter barley meaning it was planted in the fall of the year. I grew spring barley meaning it was planted about as early as the ground could be worked. Where I currently live it is often planted in February or early March.

I'm not up on modern barley varieties but dad's always ripened after the wheat by a couple of weeks which allowed us to move from the harvest of one crop right to the next.

It generally out yields wheat for bushels per acre. If I recall correctly the benchmark for barley makes it considerable lighter in weight than wheat.

We used combine to do the cutting and threshing and it was fed to livestock so no removal of hulls was done.

Sorry, can't help you more if at all.
Hmmm. Ok. Thanks. :)

I could go ahead and broadcast a little bit of it now, and save some back in case it's spring barley.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

The Queen of research is asking for advice...is this some sort of test?;-)

Ans: Check with the feedstore to find out what you bought.

RF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts