Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I'm scared silly! Its been over 20 years since I've worked outside the home. Its nothing fancy. Working at a pet boarding facility part time but the pay is decent and its not far from home. We could sure use the money too. I'd appreciate any prayers or good thoughts you can send me. Hopefully I won't be so nervous I totally blow it!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sending you good vibes from The Ozarks!

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Prayers from WA. I'm sure you'll do fine. :)
Cindyc.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I'm back. They're doing interviews the rest of the week but she seemed to like me (she said so) so hopefully next week I'll hear something.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good Luck! I also own a pet boarding facility and here's what I'm looking for in a employee:
a) SHOW UP and be PUNCTUAL. Woody Allen said once that 90% of success is showing up. I found that to be very true. Especially on weekends and holidays.
b) You are going to be dealing with lots of "whew!". Don't make a big deal of it, it's there, it doesn't go anywhere, it needs to be cleaned up. Most likely by you - that's probably why you were hired. It also helps to do/clean things as needed and not as asked.
c) Have a nice appearance. This is not a "clean" job, but I (as employer)do appreciate people that dress "clean". You know what I mean.
d) Have a smile and hello for the customers. Some employees will walk grim-faced past customers, never acknowledging them. Remember that THEY are the ones that PAY you.
e) Keep a good eye on the pets. Keep doors locked, don't let them get a-hold of each other. Make notes on appetites. Report unusual happenings with stool and urin (amounts, consistence etc.) Sorry, I didn't mean to get graphic.
f) While I appreciate a employee that likes the pets, I don't care too much for somebody that screeches and baby-talks to them all day long. (OOOOHHH HONEY, is Mommey LEAVING you?....)
g) Don't faint when you find out that not all pets love you. Treat them like you would a bull or ram. Keep an eye on them, but don't hold it against them. And don't feel obligated to make them LOVE you.

In case you don't get hired - remember that most pet boarding facilities have a lot of turn-over. EVERYBODY loves "working" with pets, until they realize that you don't sit there all day long, playing with them. Nobody wants to deal with the "business" end of things...
You will get hired if you are persistent and show interest.

Again - good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Ginnie: as a former HR person, I'd advise you to CALL today and thank the person for interviewing you, and tell them how nice you thought the facility was, that you'll be looking forward to hearing from them, etc. Keep it short and friendly, but keep your name in their mind. Good luck! Jan in Co

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
Ginnie: as a former HR person, I'd advise you to CALL today and thank the person for interviewing you, and tell them how nice you thought the facility was, that you'll be looking forward to hearing from them, etc. Keep it short and friendly, but keep your name in their mind. Good luck! Jan in Co
I gotta agree, as a former business manager and owner, it shows interest in the position. I would give preference in hiring to someone who thought enough to call or send a timely letter (gotta get there within 2 days or forget it) Thank them for the interview, express your interest, perhaps bring up one point from the interview. Keep it short, like Jan said its to keep your name out there and go an extra step in expressing your interest.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
Yup-saw this late so will be praying for you to be chosen & thinking good thoughts but in the meantime...this is good advice!

Patty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts