I have a question re: buck odour

Discussion in 'Goats' started by astrocow, Oct 17, 2005.

1. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

My buck started to get real smelly in September. This is the first buck we've had here and I was just curious to know how much longer he will keep perfuming himself? I have a doe that is kept separate but they can see each other. I plan to put them together in November.
    Leigh

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

You'd better learn to like that smell. It's gonna be around for a long, long time! :D

Ruth

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Count yourself lucky that he just started smelling in September....My 8 bucks have been "aromatic" since July!!LOL!! Mine generally start smelling better when the does stop comin in heat, and they generally smell good by March.=) I'm so used to it, I barely notice anymore...........

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

The dairy bucks I have generally tone down by end of Dec. Especially if you have everyone bred.

5. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

Okay, thank you. I just needed a general idea so I could have something to look forward to. Before getting him I read that bucks will stink, and people have told me so too.
    But boy there is nothing like experiencing that smell in person. Even if I work in the general area of his pen, my clothes will pick up his smell and I'm fairly certain that he didn't spray me. I think those vapour particles float through the air looking for something to stick to.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Just wait! Soon, you'll be used to it and when people look at you funny you'll wonder why. :eek:

Ruth

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Ruth, you do get used to it. Ours started smelling 2 months ago but will tone down in a couple of months. He is such a great buck that we excuse him.