I have a pig question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Topaz Farm, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

I don't know much about pigs so bear with me please.

How hard is it to slit a pigs throat, big, little and in-between? Someone told me that someone slit his sows throat. Unless things have changed the pig pen is fairly close to the house, and I just can't see this happening quietly.

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Which one do you think might have moved - The pig pen or the house? ROFL

I don't butcher my own pigs, but I've seen it done and helped a few times. The only way I've seen a pig slaughtered is a well-placed shot from a 22 to actually kill it then hang by the back feet and cut the throat to bleed it out. I'm getting pictures in my mind of someone trying to sneak up on a pig with a fillet or butcher knife and grabbing a 250 lb pig with the intent of cutting its throat - some of them are real side-splitters (some aren't so funny).

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If we cant load our pigs we plan to do the shoot and slit method...and then off to butcher....but Hogetta may be visiting at our friends'(perhaps you know her :rolleyes: ) place to be bred by a pot belly but Bacon still needs to go to freezer camp this Fall.

4. Topaz Farm

Well, if it were my place the pig pen would be moved. :D

A shot in the head and slit the throat is the way I remember my Grandfather butchering pigs.

Now, this sow with the slit throat ?????? was done out of meaness (IF it was done). I just can't see someone being able to do that. His story just doesn't make sense to me.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Another bad neighbor :shrug: OH NO!

Was the pig caught/cut while sleeping?

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We only raise one pig a year. We get it in the spring and raise it in a small 12x12 pen. During the summer months I am in the pen with pig cleaning, scratching its ears/ patting its side.

In the fall when it comes time to do the deed I open the pen door and let pig out. He/She sniffs around me for a couple of seconds and then heads for the apple orchard a short distance away( I have been supplementing his/her feed with apples since they have begun to ripen). Then it returns to me for a scratch and a pat for a couple seconds. Then its off to investigate the rest of the yard, always returning to me every few minutes for a quick scratch or pat on the side.

After that, when the perfect shot presents itself, I fire once from my .22 rifle. Pig invariably goes down like Jesus himself threw the switch. I quickly move in and cut the carotid. I don't like to hang around for the few seconds of writhing that happens so I go prepare the tractor for moving pig to the barn for skinning and gutting.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

No way would I attempt to hoist a stunned hog. You will get hurt! Cut its throat by approaching from the head only. A muscle spasm kick will get you injured seriously when you have a knife in hand. Remember, this is a task that needs to be done swiftly and without hesitation. Plunge, sever, withdraw. All to be done in less time than it takes to say the 3 words.

8. Topaz Farm

Yes, Mpillow, another bad neighbor. But, in this case the pig is on the BN's (bad neighbor) land in a pen. Someone bought it and was leaving it there. Someone else (according to the pig owner) came on the land and cut the pig's throat.

Don't know if it was done while it was sleeping, don't even know if it was bad enough to kill the pig. Don't really know if it is the truth.

I don't think that these people are the type that would be petting the pig.

OH well, along with the pig story, is the one about how someone hit the half grown brama bull in the face and broke his jaw. They are saying kids did it.

ETA: I have to say that I really did enjoy hog killing time at my Grandparents.

Last year I went over to my horse trainer's place, and he and some of his friends had butchered a pig and was cooking it up in a big iron pot. Oh my, that was so good.

9. bnlfan

bnlfan Well-Known Member

10. Topaz Farm

11. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Well, I hope it was not some random thing done by stupid kids... Since I'm just down the road and work nights, makes me feel like my goats are in danger.

12. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

There are some who butcher that way. At the livestock auction here there was a man who would buy a sheep and just before loading it up he would cut its throat. He said he did that so when he got home it was all bled out and ready to cut up. I never agreed with that practice tho.

13. Topaz Farm

Rowdy, I don't really think that you have anything to worry about. No one has messed with my horses. You have a PM.

Crystal, I guess that is one way to do. Never would have thought about that. But what I mess to clean up in the trailer.