I have a new job!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Jul 3, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I'm going through training to be a dairy herd tester for a cooperative.

Obviously, my dream job!

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Sounds like a winner; congrats.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats!

We are just about ready to switch to doing our own testing. We've been having roving testers and this one we've had the last two months is so annoying. He's been at this for 30 years and dad had figured they managed to weed out the guys like him since he left testing...this is the kinda guy you have to convince that the cow does need to be on test and therefore her information does need to be put into the computer, and yes all those breeding dates need to go in, and so do the dry dates, and we on ocassion needs things corrected...especially after switching over to Raleigh. Soooo agravating!
    I want Terry back. :grump:

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Well done Willow. A good way to meet people and have a gander at other people's cows - I love looking at other people's cows and farms.

About 30 years ago when I first went dairying, we had this herd tester who was a complete pain in the butt because of his slowness. I finally lost the plot with him one morning when his slowness caused us to miss the tanker collection and he got so wound up he said "We turd testers......" I still get a giggle out of it.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

LOL Ronney ... my husband Gary insists on calling it "turd hesting"!

Thanks, everybody, for the input. If anyone wishes to elaborate on things that annoy them about herd testers, I will surely take that into consideration when out in the field. ;)

Guess I'm taking over a route for a couple who were not exactly popular with their customers ... they are being fired! They couldn't seem to grasp PC Dart, and I've been told they also are heavy smokers, which turned some people off. So I expect that some of the farmers I'll be dealing with might not be too cordial at first. Hopefully I'll be able to do a good enough job to get them to like me! Yikes!

P.S. Rosanna, I was amazed at the amount of data that can be collected and the variety of ways the reports can be sorted to show different data! I don't know how many farms fully utilize the system ... seems like it could be a real good tool!

7. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Wow! What an interesting job...congrats!