Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single surviving kit that lives in a cage on the porch. I would bring it in the house to feed it, then back out to the cage it went. It's so cute that I let it play in the house for a few minutes. Next thing I know my ADULT children are bringing it in to play, then the grandkids are bringing it in to play. Now it spends more time in the house than it does outside. We take it outside in the yard and let it run around a little to snack on grass, then back in the house it comes.

The turning point was today when I was setting on the sofa and felt something behind my back. It was the bunny! It had jumped up on the sofa and was snuggling up to me. Then I discovered that my youngest son, age 26, has been feeding it gummy bears! When he puts a gummy bear in his mouth, the bunny climbs up and tries to get it from him. She's a picky bunny, she only likes green gummy bears. :rolleyes:

My rabbit is addicted to gummy bears! :eek:

I'm assuming that she will now be a family pet instead of the breeder I had planned her to be. There are several others that will end up in freezer camp, so I guess we can afford to keep one as a pet. This better not become a habit with them! :nono:

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
What better was to select a pet bunny out of the crowd than to let someone show you that she can be a great pet? Seems fair to me. :cool:

She's a picky bunny, she only likes green gummy bears.
Now, that's weird, but then I've never understood why one piece of timothy hay is great and the piece next to it is unacceptable.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Spinner said:
I'm assuming that she will now be a family pet instead of the breeder I had planned her to be. There are several others that will end up in freezer camp, so I guess we can afford to keep one as a pet. This better not become a habit with them! :nono:
Time to get out a litter box, play toys, and a harness/leash combination!!! I had a dwarf Dutch many years ago that would ride in the car with me-- sitting on my shoulder-- I swear she waved at other motorists as we went by---

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
So what's her name?

Could she be a house bunny *and* have kits? :shrug:
Would she put up with a cage for the time she was kindling and nursing?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I've just been calling her bunny, but she may end up being called gummy-bear. LOL I think DS could build a bunny house to keep inside for her. We could put a kindling box in it and she would probably do fine. The real question is if she'll breed now that she thinks she's a human companion instead of one of the rabbits.

I have to admit that it's been fun having her in here. She follows us around like a little shadow. It's a pleasant surprise to feel her hop over and tickle my feet when I'm setting at the desk. And it's enjoyable to see her discover the "bunny" in the mirror, and other things in the house. She's made friends with the dog and doesn't run away anymore. She loves to jump up beside us and cuddle. She even cuddled with the dog last night.

I guess I need to start bunny proofing the house. Things like getting electric cords up where she can't chew on them, and keeping all the houseplants in areas where she can't nibble on them, etc. AND, try to teach everyone that she's NOT a garbage disposal that can eat everything they want to feed her. If I'm not careful they'll turn her into a "junk food junky". I think she's here to stay. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts