I have a gummer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by harplade, Dec 8, 2006.

1. harplade

harplade loving life on the farm

Any ideas on helping out my poor doe who has lost all her teeth? I didn't realize she was so old-must have lost the last ones in the last six months as we have noticed her condition is not as good. Although she is still managing to maintain her status as herd queen, just wondering what her future is.

Thanks,
    Harplade

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am glad you asked. I have a 14 year old amost 15 and I was wondering what I will do if that happens. As of now mine has all her teeth, (we check it quite often). I know I have to feed my horse that doesn't really have any teethe beet pulp and a senior, but I know the goats have to have forage for their rumen. good luck.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would give her soaked alfa pellets.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Grind up alfalfa pellets in a blender (don't use your best one!), and add enough water to make it gloppy. Cook her up some regular oatmeal, add in some applesauce, smashed banana, cooked corn, or whatever she likes. Molasses, maple syrup.. I'd be putting vitamins in her water too, to make sure she's getting them. My old goat really liked me to cook up grits for her too. Because she needs roughage, try some complete feed senior blend horse. You may have to search for it. You can soak it with warm water.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

recipies sound good to my but i would not give molasse or syrup. no need for that. :)
    soaked pellets don't need to be grind up. we still want long fiber in the rumen and the pellets are as short as it can get. i don't want to make powder out of it and put the rumen out of work.

6. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Has she just lost her front teeth. Does she still have her grinders in the back?
    She may not be able to eat grass without front teeth but if she still has the grinders she can eat grain, hay and alfalfa pellets.