I have a bully........ but not for long..... ugh!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Nov 17, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ever just get "THERE"? That point where ya just wanna choke something then 10 mins later they look so nice you wonder why you were ever mad. I was "THERE" tonight and have made up my mind to sell her. I have a 7 YO alpine doe that is a good doe but is just a bully. Good bag nice girl I just can't stand it. I have had my milkers in a little barn and then my non milkers in the big barn and with the cold weather finally hitting I locked all the chickens in the little barn and mixed the goats together in the big barn. Well little miss Daisy has made it so ubnoxious! She wont let anyone have peace when the hay is put in and I'm done trying to get her outta the way as she's always running after whomever is following me to the hay feeder and trying to butt em. I'm DONE!!!!!! I have 2 feeders and she has to try em both out to see which one she likes the best and in the middle of it knock everyone outta her way. It's so annoying..........
    Sorry just had to rant. I'm gonna email the lady I got her from as she said she would like to know if I ever sell her but if she doesn't want her then to the sale she goes. I pd $100 for her and she is nice and all but I am going all saanen anyway and this just makes the choice to sell her far easier.

2. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

It sounds like she is the Herd Queen. The Herd Queen does as she pleases.

If you sell her you could very well have a new Herd Queen that acts just the same.

The boss of my little herd of two is my Wether. Him and my Doe usually get along very well but sometimes he will and does act like a Bully. If my doe tries to eat or drink before he does he will shove her out of the way. If I try to hand out treats he shoves her out of the way so that only he can have treats.

This may look like she is being a bully to the others but she is really just showing who is boss in the herd.

3. allenslabs

Oh I know but I didn't have that problem in my milking group. And my others all get along well and have for a while. Yeah there's the occasional :move it lose it" thing but not like this. And I don't like for em to not all get along. I know I know animal nature but geez........

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We've got Her Royal Majesty Princess Cocoa who's the herd queen. but she would never dirty her hoofies with bullying. She's got her sister Sandy (The Enforcer) on hand for that sort of thing. Cocoa prefers to talk strategy with Royal Prince Buddy and leave the brute force dirty work to others.

After having Cocoa and Sandy (and some others) for two years, her mother joined out herd. Bindy (the mother) is used to being herd queen and has held that role in two previous herds. But as far a Cocoa is concerned, Queen Mum Bindy is now retired.

This makes for some fun times. When they are out eating in the woods, Bindy will try to fracture the herd out and lead them off somewhere. Cocoa does not put up with mutiny, and absolutely does not follow. This always ends with Bindy and the mutineers getting alarmed when they find themselves separated from the herd and they run back - at which point Cocoa acts haughty and ignores them and Sandy gives one of the mutineers a good thunking.

Bindy's big thing today was deciding that she was going to establish firmly that she outranks Connie the 6 month old calf. We had goat to calf head pushing going on for a while - quite a sight! But Connie, who will give Cocoa and Sandy no sass at all, wasn't about to let Bindy bully her.

We actually quite enjoy the various personalities, and while there's often periods of serious thunking or raised hackles, they are very much a herd and they seem to conduct their goat business in a way that they understand and respect. Prince Buddy was actually very meanly thunked into the herd his first few weeks, but now he holds the high prince position and Cocoa appears to have him in mind as her successor. Or at least as her back-up ruler.

We are watching one of Bindy's kids, Mabel, very closely. Her disbudding didn't take and she has mini horns, regal markings, and a royal strut that rivals Cocoa, Bindy, or Buddy. We think she has her eye on a future Queen position.

We have periods of bullying and then they pass. But to us, it all looks like very important goat business of some sort and it adds to our respect and appreciation for them.

Also, the very worst thunkings we've seen were when Buddy was young. He went into a clearing ahead of Cocoa and Sandy, and Sandy nailed him for that - obviously it was a dangerous thing in her eyes for a young goat to go from cover to clearing without pausing to look for predators. Sandy's thunk threw him off balance, at which point both Cocoa and Sandy just hammered off his feet and then hammered him into the ground. It was harsh, but they taught him that it was dangerous to let yourself get knocked over. They tested him over the next few days, and he made sure he never got knocked of his feet by surprise again.

Do you think your goat might be trying to communicate some important goat rules to the others?

Lynda

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

One more thing. We've got the most polite cow on the planet, mainly because the goats thunked the rules into her when she was smaller.

Prince Buddy actually halter trained her for us, and she waits for the goats to enter the night pen before she goes through the gate (Sandy and Cocoa taught her that.) She shares the same feed bowl with goat kid 1/10th of her size, and does it with no pushing or shoving. She is also very careful with her feet and doesn't bump or step on goats, dogs, or people.

She sleeps in with the goats. They've even taught her not to drop cow pies in thier house - she takes them outside.

Goat bullying served us well.

Can you tell I'm a bit of a softie for your bossy Alpine? :)

Lynda

6. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I'm in Indiana (Bloomington area) so I might be interested in her. She won't out bully one of my nubians and I have an unknown breed who is the queen but she is a genlte one but won't take anything from the other girls. I'm moving to 12 acres in KY so will have the room for her.

7. allenslabs

Iknow there are the herd rules and all but I just can't handle chaos real well when everyone else gets along so well.

dscott~ We are about 6 miles east of spring mill state park in mitchell. Let me know if you really would like to get her. Thanks!

8. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have Queen Jezebel, hence her name. She is a royal b*tch. I would love to get rid of her too but I don't know if anyone would take her....talking to someone now. She even bullied by nubians, and shes a pygmy!

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

You're always going to have a dominate one but sometimes those rare bullyish ones aren't worth it to deal with. Any goat that causes problems doesn't stay at my place.

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We so far have THREE heard queens :eek: . There is Queen Queenie :bow: the herd queen of ALL the Boer goats, 1 BIG buck, 3 females, 4 babies, and the 2 boer goats in Queen Toria's herd but they had to be seperated so right now they have been moved out, she is a fair ruler, never fuses or bullys, and lets the little kids (her grand babies) play on her back, but if someone challenges her she WILL put them in their place, but gently for the maost part. Then there is Queen Clara :bow: the FIRST herd queen of the mutt goats, she was one of our first four goats, and the only female when we got her, so she rules her herd of 2 bucks just fine, and she WOULD rule Queen Toria's herd if Toria was kept in the same pen. Then there is Queen Toria :bow: , who is only queen because we had to move her because Queen Clara bullied her SO much that we got worried, now she rules over 4 of her daughters, her 1 granddaughter, Queen Clara's daughter (who had to be moved for certain reasons), and 2 boer goats, Toria is a SMALL mutt goat so she is doing a GREAT job. Oh yeah, now we have a kitten who has decided that she is the ruler of the WHOLE farm, all hail Queen Prissy Crissy :bow: . ;)