Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any simple and delicious recipes out there? I can't find anything simple that isn't some variation on Apple Brown Betty.

I just know some of you out there have some wonderful ideas. :p I probably have all the ingredients of whatever you come up with or suitable substitutions thereof. :D

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Slice them up and toss them in with a batch of slow-cooking sauerkraut and ribs!

·
Registered
566 Posts
prepare them as for apple pie,cook gently on stovetop til apples are tender, put the filling in flour tortillas and toothpick closed and fry to a golden brown in a skillet with a little butter serve warm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
core 'em, put 'em in a baking dish, stuff the middle with chopped pecans, cinammon, raisins, brown sugar or maple syrup and a dot of butter. Bake til tender. Serve hot with vanilla bean ice cream!
prepare them as for apple pie, put the filling in flour tortillas and toothpick closed and fry to a golden brown in a skillet with a little butter serve warm
Mmm, maybe I can come up with a kind of combination of those 2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have to get some more Granny Smith apples just so I can try some of these other ideas LOL.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Apple Sauce!

Prepare as for pie add a touch of sugar add some cinimon and ginger Microwave and then mashn with a potato masher. Home made chunky aplesauce!

Great wiht pork or yummy with vanilla ice cream.

Or just sliced with some honeycomb on top.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Make Waldorf Salad - chopped unpeeled apple, finely chopped celery, raisins, chopped walnuts, and mayo. YUM!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Core, fill with something (nuts, raisins, dried cranberries or apricots, some brown sugar). Bundle half a pie crust around each and bake. All-Ready piecrust is better than a lot of folks' homemade, so splurge. ;) Sue

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I hadn't thought of that! That sounds great!
Forgot one thing - right after you chop the apples, sprinkle with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Baked Apple Pancake

Peel and slice the apples, then cook in a bit of butter.

While they're cooking, preheat the oven to 425. Melt 4 TBSP of butter in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Use a mixer or food processor (or beat by hand) 3 eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup milk and a pinch of nutmeg.

When the pan is good and hot (but don't burn the butter), pour the batter in and set the whole thing in the oven. Bake for 15-20 min, until the pancake is puffed up and lightly golden.

Remove from oven and spoon on the warm apples. Serve immediately for breakfast or dessert.
(Optional: if you don't have apples, sprinkle the baked pancake with 3 TBSP confectioner's sugar and the juice of 1/2 lemon, then put the pan back in the oven for a few minutes to glaze.)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hot Apple Cake with Caranek Pecan Sauce

2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
2 med. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp. vanilla
Caramel sauce (recipe follows), or use bottled sauce

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9" cake pan, or I use individual-sized bundt pans. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, until well blended. Add flour, spices and soda,and beat until just incorporated. Mix in the apples, nuts and vanilla.
Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove to rack. Make caramel sauce.

Caramel Sauce
Melt 4 tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 cut pecan halves. Add a 1 cup light brown sugar and 1 cup whipping cream, and cook, stirring contantly, until sauce boils and sugar dissolves.

·
Registered
601 Posts
or...
here's an old boy scout Dutch Oven standby (you can make it in your oven though - no boy scout or Dutch Oven required!)

Apple dumplings with sprite

2 Granny Smith Apples, cut into 1/4 each, peel and core
1 cans Crescent Dinner Rolls (open and separate)
1 cup sugar
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger or your favorite combo of spices
1/2 cup brown sugar
half a can of Sprite
3/4 stick butter

This recipe will make 8 apple dumplings.

In a 9x13 baking pan, (spray with Pam)
Wrap each piece of apple in roll, put into baking dish, core side down.
Mix sugars and spices together and spread evenly over apples. Cut margarine over top, then pour sprite around the edge of baking dish,
bake at 375°F until nice and brown.

ALSO good with good warm with Vanilla Ice Cream
Pioneer Woman has a version of this with mountain dew. It's really good! You could make your own crescent roll dough if you don't have the cans on hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts