Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have to FIND the vacuum. That means rummaging thru the rooms I think I might have vacuumed last. Then I have to empty the bag thing (yes, I know, I should do that when I'm done so it's clean the next time, but by that time I'm so ticked off....).

Next, plug it in. Easy, you say. well....The house is being renovated, so sometimes electricity is scarce in some rooms. Now, I can start vacu...oh, wait. I used the little brush thingie to clean the keyboard the other day..now where did I put it?

ah. now. all set. NOPE. have to pickup the rooms first so that I can FIND the floor in order to vacuum them. Socks. Shoes. Books. paintbrushes. pillows. dog toys. chickens...chickens? wait a minute here....how on earth did YOU escape? (put the chicks back in the brooder)

okay. start her up! varoooooom...sputter/cough/sputter Now what? clogged already <sigh> too much dog hair, I guess. Have to take the back off the machine to get to the clog...where's my philip's screw driver? (10 minutes of looking for the screwdriver and 10 minutes of fighting with the machine)

Let's try this again.....going well so far....oh *#@%$! I just sucked up a shoestring from a shoe I missed under the couch and it's now wound around the beaterbar thing. Time out for tea....maybe I'll finish vacuuming later. MUCH later.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
oh I don't mind vaccuming... as long as the floors are picked up! my DD6 and I went through her room and cleaned last night, threw out a few bags of stuff she doesn't play with anymore.. but after it was vaccumed it looked nice!!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I don't much like it, but with a dog and 4 cats there is always animal hair that needs to be vacuumed - at least once in awhile. :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I used to despise vaccuuming a few years back. Now it isn't so bad. The trick is getting good at keeping things off the floor as much as possible, so when the time comes, all you have to do is vaccuum without having to tidy up first.

The shoe problem was solved by putting two milk crates on a shelving unit by the door. Not pretty, but functional, and makes vaccuuming sanity. Everyone's shoes go in there when they come in the door. Yes, I sometimes still have to pick up a few pairs. But not like when everyone had three different pairs of shoes lying by the door on the floor. The ones that don't fit in the crates are kept on the shelf above the crates.

When finances allow, you can also get a canister vac where everything rides in the machine. Another sanity saver. That was my main reason in getting one, other than it's easier to use for me. Uprights always irritated my back and I'd end up with sciatica every time I vaccuumed. I've been told this is a pretty common complaint, so it's not just me.

Also on the shelving unit, we always have commonly used screwdrivers. Everyone knows where they are and they always get put back after being used.

Then, if you could find a permanent home for the monster, like some floor space in a closet somewhere, you're all set. Well, except for the chickens. Can't help you with that, we don't have any.

It always helps to have a system. I know how crazy life can get. It's nice to make as many routine chores as automatic as possible.

Have you looked into flylady yet? I don't follow this plan to a "t", but did for about nine months and my house was as clean and almost as organized as the testamonials she has posted. But, the most important thing that came out of it is I developed habits that still are with me to this day. And even though the place isn't yet perfect, it's so much better and more stress free than it was before I found her. The method isn't for everyone, but if you do it like she asks (no, tells you), than housekeeping and many other life chores will be a breeze compared to the chaos you're experiencing now.

{{{Hugs}}}

:)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I live like that too....

right now my living room has toys, pillows, dishes,clothes, and trash (graded school work, tissues-we have been sick,)....it would take me 30 minutes plus just to pick up all the stuff......then vacuum.....and even then, by bedtime tomorrow you wouldnt be able to tell that I had done a thing!!!!

Rachel

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
OH boy! Too funny! I don't have that problem so much anymore since I don't have little kids. Dogs are much easier to train.

The older I get the more I like a system. I have a place for everything--and that's where I put it, or I'll never find it again!

Even misc. stuff has a basket--one beside my chair, one beside hubby's. And I love peg racks too. Baskets and peg racks.

Well yea, get on flylady. My dear, you don't have to live like this anymore. There is help available.

My motto now: "When in doubt, throw it out."

·
Registered
640 Posts
Went without a vacuum for a very long time, especially since we didn't have any rugs - just hardwood floors. Then, Lo! A beautiful expensive rug for our livingroom from my SIL (she was moving). Well, better get a vacuum then. Found one on sale at Home Depot for $60 - a kit with upright vacuum, handheld dustbuster, and dirt devil cleaner thing. Nice. Except the designer of the upright sure didn't earn his pay. Put the exhaust port on the FRONT of it so that as you push the thing around the floor all the cathair (3 cats = lotsa hair) goes POOF---WHEEEEE. Mad crazy woman chasing cathair all over the house with crappy vacuum.

I taped up the exhaust most of the way so it doesn't do that, but I end up using the 'on board attatchments' to clean the many, many feet of hardwood flooring. Hurts my back. And my broom doesn't do the best job, either, and I don't like those dust-mops. Ugh. I think i just figured out why my floors always look terrible.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would rather vacuum than sweep, any day! I actually like vacuuming....it's soothing. Especially now that I have a vacuum that can handle the occassional toy or sock without dieing on me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can tell ya that it is alot easier once those kids grow up and move out! Not so hard to keep things picked up.
Vacuuming is one of my favorite things to do in the house. I do it far too often. I like seeing the tracks in the carpet and I will run over the same spots several times until I get those tracks just perfect...little odd, isn't it? hehe

·
Registered
315 Posts
RockyGlen said:
I would rather vacuum than sweep, any day! I actually like vacuuming....it's soothing. Especially now that I have a vacuum that can handle the occassional toy or sock without dieing on me.
Ya gotta tell me what kind it is!!! PLEASE! I'm desperate! I've killed so many vacuums it isn't funny!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Simplicity 7. It's the only vacuum that has lasted more than 6 months or so. It took me a whole year to break the belt - and that was because one of the kids vacuumed up a 6 inch long lincoln log - the short ones go right on into the bag.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
SteveD(TX) said:
You need a Roomba. We have one and it works pretty well.
YES! We run ours just about every day (2 large dogs, one with long hair, and a long haired cat). It does GREAT.

Gotta dump the little reservoir and pull the fur off the brushes, but that's it. Just turn it on and it runs around all busy, busy.

Once every week or two I vacuum so I can get in the odd place or two the Roomba can't get to, but it's surprising how well it navigates and what a thorough job it does.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
turtlehead said:
YES! We run ours just about every day (2 large dogs, one with long hair, and a long haired cat). It does GREAT.

Gotta dump the little reservoir and pull the fur off the brushes, but that's it. Just turn it on and it runs around all busy, busy.

Once every week or two I vacuum so I can get in the odd place or two the Roomba can't get to, but it's surprising how well it navigates and what a thorough job it does.
We love ours too. Got it for Mother's Day. :) It's nice to let it do it's thing, in between vacuumings, which now can be spread out further apart.

It will be really nice come fall, when all outside debris tends to find it's way onto the floors.

I let it run on one floor, while vacuuming another. And it never needs a bag. Only thing is, you have to have your room picked up first.

My son loves to babysit this thing. It's one of his chores, and he does it with enthusiasm. We have some odd places where it tends to get hung up, like the downward sloping feet on a rocking chair, the dip in the floor where there's no carpeting after removing a wood burning stove/concrete pad, among others.

·
Registered
315 Posts
RockyGlen said:
Simplicity 7. It's the only vacuum that has lasted more than 6 months or so. It took me a whole year to break the belt - and that was because one of the kids vacuumed up a 6 inch long lincoln log - the short ones go right on into the bag.
Wow! It can vacuum up the short ones? That's impressive!

Thank you for the information! I went to their website and there is a dealer about an hour from me. I'll be checking into one for sure. My vacuum sucks (or is that, "doesn't suck"?)

I saw that they have a 2 year warranty. I've never had a vacuum last more than one year, and usually a lot less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.