I hate tresspassers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, May 13, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Am Venting!! Can you see the steam coming out of my ears??

I have been have a hard time as my body isn't doing so well.
    Wanted to take it easy today.

But guess what,, we got tresspassers(AKA Poachers) last night, so I spent all morning walking the fence line and fixing what they cut and moved. I knew something was up because of the Charger by the house.
    Getting really tired of this.
    At least they were smart enough not to try to cut the hot wire. Oh maybe they should have, as my charger will give them a very painfull arm for about a 1/2 hour.

So, I know I should get a Guarden Dog, they are spendy & worried someone would shoot it.

Does anyone have those wireless battery powered outside cameras? Do they work?

Any idea other than hunting them down and tying them to a tree somewhere with honey on them so the Bears can have a meal??

2. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

How about camping out there and taking a large dog and a larger gun with you? Where do you live (sorry forget to look)? Can you get someone you know to do guard duty for a while? I sure would be mad if it was mine property. Are you posted? ie....NO TRESSPASSING... all over the place? If so call the police or whoever and file a complaint. Even if they are useless they have to take the complaint. If they won't then call the state police and file there. This is what we do here. Good luck and relax. PAM

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I have no Trespassing signs all over the place.. those nice big yellow plastic ones, followed by Duck tape so they can't remove them.

Sadly I do not know of anyone that would be able to do Guard duty for me. What makes it hard, is I never know when this is going to happen. Sigh ~ ~

Did just call the Sheriff to let them know, so Thank you for reminding me.

4. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Go to a sprting goods store and get several of the motion sensitive 35mm cameras. They come in camo, and i believe even take IR pictures these days.
    Place them on all the access points you have problems with. Take the pics to the local law and inform them you have armed people running around your propety and night and you feel you and your families safety in threatened and you will protect yourself lawfully. See if that motivates them.

5. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Go to a sprting goods store and get several of the motion sensitive 35mm cameras. They come in camo, and i believe even take IR pictures these days.
    Place them on all the access points you have problems with. Take the pics to the local law and inform them you have armed people running around your propety and night and you feel you and your families safety in threatened and you will protect yourself lawfully. See if that motivates them. Shoot if you have to.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Good Idea Bladesmith!

Last thing I want is people with Guns at night on my place. Any hunting Gun bullet can end up going through the side of my house, the side my son's bedroom is on. Just do not like that at all.

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Shoot at THEM first! They are on Your Property

8. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

Very bad idea to shoot at anyone not endangering you or other people, you will be the one in jail.

Trespassing isn't punishable by death, so keep that in mind when you deal with folks.

The idea about getting pictures and document who is doing it is the best idea, try to get a picture of a vehicle and license plate as well. Provide all that to the local law enforcement and/or game warden and let them handle it.

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I dislike people who tresspass so I can understand how you feel. We have moultry cameras that are camo and take infrared pictures. Can find those in the hunting/outdoor section of the store. we bought ours at bass pro. it was about 60.00 but it has been worth it. they don't know that they are being photographed. :) But, I wouldn't confront them with a gun.Iwould call the game warden for poaching and call the sheriff for the tresspassing. put up no tresspassing signs and get some good dogs(I have 4 that run loose and 1 that stays with the goats).
    Good luck,
    tnborn

10. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

We understand your frustration!

Since our old border collie is just not up to watching the entire fenceline 24/7 anymore, we have aquired 2 young aussie/sheltie girls and a Jack Russell terror, all of who will bite if the proper visitor protocol is not followed. We are being given a young male aussie this month, too.

No one approaches the perimeter fences without our knowledge and our fences have not been cut since the BC got his back up crew. They certainly are the "Fun Police" to anyone wishing to cause mischief.

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thanks for the info on the Cameras. :D

I would not shoot someone unless they were coming at me, wither I am outside, or inside the house.., I will defend myself & my family ....just hope I am never forced to do such.

For the Poachers, DH is going to look into the Cameras,, and I am now dog shopping.
    Can't believe how spendy dogs are,, and the prices on mutts..good grief. I did not really want a dog, as I just don't need another chore to pick up after. But this looks like it will be a on going thing,, most likely be safer if we do. Am looking at the Karelian Bear Dogs. Want an outside dog.....last thing I need is more of a mess inside the house.

Someone told me to get a Charger that they use at the zoo for Elephants and charge the whole fence with that. Wonder if that is legal?? Look Ma,, Fried Poacher! Rather appealing idea.
    Though it will be awhile before we can afford to get hot wire to that area. Sigh ~ ~

Just wish they would go away. :bash:

12. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

If someone is tresspassing your land to hunt, what's there to prevent them from shooting any dogs you use? Seems like a perfectly good waste of a dog if that should happen.

On another note, should the dogs attack and mame, your in court being sued. Doesn't matter if they were tresspassing or not. Criminals have more rights now then the victims.

13. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That what I was thinking CD.
    However, I just can't sit back and wait until one of my family, animals or the house gets shot. Or have the fence cut one night, and I am looking around the county for my animals.
    I do not have unlimited money, and even fence patching can get spendy. I sure don't see the poachers putting money in my Mail box to pay for the repairs.

If someone is tresspassing on my land with a Gun for what ever reason, I concider that an intent to Harm. I will protect myself with what ever means, if a dog keeps them from hurting my family, then so be it.
    (I will not go out and hunt Poachers, but if I see them coming at the house with a Gun, you better believe I will defend myself)
    I have good insurance, and the Game wardens around here do not like poachers at all. They will have a lot more problems dealing with the Wardens.

I dislike them putting me in this kind of position. Is like I am D-- if I do and D-- if I don't.
    The Laws are wrong and need to be changed.

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That isn't true in my county so chances are it isn't true elsewhere. I had trespassers collecting saw palmetto berries right behind my house last year and my Catahoula almost went through the screen door to get them. I almost lost control of her. I caled l the Sheriff's Office to find out the limits of my liability had anything happened and was told that if I post "No Trespassing" signs and adults trespass anyway, I am not liable for my dog's attack on my property. That is the way it should be. I have two dogs that serve as guardians and that is their job.

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just paint a sign in dayglow orange saying 'Guess where the tire shredders are tonight'. It worked here on a piece of often cut barbed wire fence.

16. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I likes that one. :D

17. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Love it! :haha:

18. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Maybe if you put up a sign that says-
    "Surveillance cameras in use"

or they could say,

"Danger, Radioactive Waste"

You never know how far away the nearest nuclear waste facility might be, you know! :)

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

paint "SSS" on the trees....

20. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Snort,,, ah thats funny. Trojon is just down the rd, and I can see the stack during the winter. :D
    So, sadly I do not think the Poachers are too worried about the 2 headed elk
    Or the hot pink Algae.